Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catladysgarden

Open Garden

catladysgarden
11 years ago

You are invited to attend my 16th Annual Open Garden. The Cat Lady's Garden is an American Hemerocallis Society Display Garden. It will be open to the public from 8am - 4pm on Saturday July 14th.

15643 East 35th Place

Aurora, CO 80011

near I-70 and Chambers Road

For additional Information call Karen Schultz at 303 366-9689

Comments (20)

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Looking forward to it Karen! I missed the last 2 years because of unavoidable circumstances, but I'm bound and determined to make it this year.

It would be nice if some of us RMG'ers could coordinate a time that works to meet at Karen's gardens - anyone else going to attend and is interested in meeting up there?!

Marj
    Karen - I got some of the daylilies you brought to a swap awhile back, and they are getting ready to bloom for the first time. Yea!

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

I wish I didn't live on the other side of the state! I would love to see your gardens!!!

I too have received quite a few daylilies from you in years past, and they are all in full, glorious bloom right now. Thank you so much for your generosity!

Bonnie

• aloha2009
    11 years ago

I went for the first time last year. What a treat! I'll be working all that day so I won't be able to make it out. Have fun and thanks for opening up your lovely garden to all of us.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

Karen,

Your garden is spectacular to begin with and when the daylilies are in bloom it becomes a magical place. I can't wait!

Marj, I'm in for a group outing!

Barb

• amester
    11 years ago

I might be able to make it as well - throw a time out and I'll check the calendar!

Amy

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Great Barb and Amy! Which works better for you - morning or afternoon? I'm pretty flexible! I'll be coming from Westminster and google says it'll take me from 30-40 minutes to get there.

Hope others can join as well! Maybe if we make a time range of an hour or so it'll be easier for folks to meet up.

Marj

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

So Barb and Amy - how does 10 or 10:30 work for you?

Anyone else want to meet up there?

Marj

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

Marj, I meant to respond to this sooner! 10 or 10:30 works great for me.

Barb

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Karen - 3 of my daylilies I got at a swap from you have been blooming and I'm enjoying them! I have one baby bud on my Santa's Gift and hoping it makes it as well.

Here are the ones that have/are blooming:

Golden Compass (have a couple more buds left):

Raging Tiger (one bud opened today):

Persimmon (this pic is from last year, and this is the only one that bloomed then. It is getting ready to open a bud soon):

Looking forward to your gardens this Saturday!

Marj

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

I was hoping to make it with some of the other RMG folks this year, Karen, but I'll be out in Tabernash over the weekend for a friend's wedding, so I guess I'll miss it again this year. Hope I can make it next year!

Have fun everyone,
    Skybird

P.S. Love your pics, Misty! Mine from last year's Fall Swap aren't blooming yet! Can't wait to see the colors!

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

Here's a few of the ones that I was fortunate enough to receive from Karen:

Scarlet Pansy. Took a couple years to bloom, but worth the wait!

Daphne Dale

Watermelon Slice

Startle

Linda Guidry

Wynnson with Golden Marguerite

Mended Heart. Love the color of this one!!!

Merle Kent

I have several more, but can't find the pics of them right now.

Bonnie

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Oooo, beautiful ones Bonnie - and great pics!

Treebarb - sent you an email about meeting this Saturday at the gardens. Suppose to rain this weekend, but looks like mainly in the afternoon/evening so meeting in the morning sounds doable.

Amester - GW doesn't give a link to send you an email. Send me one if you still plan on meeting Barb and I.

gjmancini - sent you an email, too, to see if you'd like to join us.

Sorry you can't make it, Skybird! If anyone else can, that would be great.

Marj

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

Marj and Bonnie,

They are beautiful! Marj, the email didn't come yet, so I'll email you.

Barb

• lizbest1
    11 years ago

Would you guys mind if a newbie joined you? I'd love to meet some of the gardeners in the forum face to face. I'll be there between 10 and 10:30 if it's okay....

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Wonderful LizinElizabeth - glad you can join us! So then, it will be Treebarb (Barb), gjmancini (Gloria), myself and you. Still waiting to hear back from amester (Amy) if she can still make it. I think meeting at 10 - 10:30 is still the plan, but will let you know Elizabeth if that changes.

Marj

• kvenkat
    11 years ago

Oh goody! I can come this year. Might bring my mother-in-law too.
    See you guys there!

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

This is great - a few of RMG'ers meeting up!

Kim, and anyone else who wants to join:
    We plan on meeting about 10:30 at the gazebo on the east end of the garden next to the koi pond. Barb suggests we "bring a hat, sunscreen and water. It'll probably take an hour to an hour and a half to cover the gardens."

And a note from Karen:
    "... You'll be looking at late bloomers this year. Mother Nature played a dirty trick on us and everything bloomed almost a month early. A lot of things that you normally see are bloomed out. On the plus side, there are things blooming that you would not usually see at Open Garden because they bloom in August. Looks like there might be a few Hibiscus.

It's been a tough year for me. I had both knees replaced and I'm still a little crippled. I lost my husband in 2010. Twice as much work for me, but I enjoy it so much. Without this garden, I think I would have just curled up and died.

If you want daylilies for your garden, I have dug a really nice selection for sale. There are 99 to choose from. If you see something in the garden that is not potted for the sale, you can always contact me after the event and I will dig it for you. I hope you enjoy the garden.

Karen
    The Cat Lady's Garden
    American Hemerocallis Society Display Garden since 1989"

Thanks Karen - looking forward to it!

:)

Marj

• lizbest1
    11 years ago

Today was the day and I sure was impressed. Karen, it's easy to see the decades of love you've put in your garden, it is beautiful. I really enjoyed the visit and it was a pleasure to meet some of the other Rocky Mountain Gardeners. And I came away with 6 new daylilies to add to my growing garden!

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Barb, Elizabeth, Kim and I met at the gardens - Gloria and Amy weren't able to make it, unfortunately. Hope your foot is better Amy!

What a lovely garden, Karen!!! My, I don't think I've ever seen so many daylilies all in one spot before, nor that many varieties! And all put together so artistically with other plants, statuary, wind chimes, Koi pond, etc. etc. I enjoyed it very much, and know I will be back!

Thanks so much for your years of work building your gardens, and opening them up to the public :)

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    11 years ago

Karen,
    I'm so glad I came back to your amazing garden! You are truly an inspiration! Not only your gorgeous daylilies but all the wonderful other plants and flowers you have there. They are all so beautiful. I'm so envious of all the space you have!

I was amazed that you remembered me from all those years ago. I had to dig deep into the archives to find my username for gardenweb. I hope to be more connected again to my fellow plant-obsessed people.

Thank you again for opening your garden and just for being a wonderfully sweet person.

I look forward to seeing you again sometime soon!

If I can get some pictures to post of my Karen-lillies and crocosmia, I will later.