Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katgardener

Does anyone recognize this?

katgardener
9 years ago

It has just recently appeared under my Crabapple (the one I started my pruning binge on) :((

It is in deep shade and seems to bee a low spreader rather than upright. It is not far from my Rudbekias, so at first I thought that they might have thrown off a volunteer because their levels are similar, but the pattern is wrong. This is all a single plant, whereas Rudbekias come up separately, and the leaf structure is wrong. TUnlike these, the Rudbekias split at the crown.

Does anyone have any ideas? If it's a weed,I want to get it out quickly!!!

Kat

Comments (4)

• digit
    9 years ago

Just a shady creeper, Virginia - that would be my guess, katgardener.

See link below and tell me what you think.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Parthenocissus quinquefolia

• smdmt
    9 years ago

It is a Virginia creeper. This vine grows very large and would probably take over your bed. If there is anything for it to climb, a tree, fence, arbor, it will do so. One good point, the leaves are a beautiful red in the fall. it got to your place probably by a bird. The birds love the berries that the vine produces.

When I moved out West from Virginia, I was amazed that people bought and planted this vine. It was totally a weed back East.

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

Thank you for asking for this ID, and thanks to all that did - I've had some growing under one of my trees, so was curious as well. I noticed the color in the fall and like the ivy-like leaves, so let it grow. I have some logs placed in that area for a backdrop to a flower bed and have been letting it grow along that. I may put a trellis up, though, so it can climb upwards and keep it off the tree - now that I know what it is!

Thanks

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

If it was in my yard I would hit the DELETE button as fast as possible!

As a matter of fact it IS, or at least keeps TRYING to get into my yard! A few years back my neighbor planted a couple of them on their back fence. I told her to not do it, but she already had them and thought they were "pretty!" They immediately grew into the back neighbor's unmaintained hard-packed clay yard. Neighbor on side realized pretty quickly what she had "done," and removed everything on HER side of the fence (I was already spraying the ones that were spreading UNDER the fence into my yard!), but now it keeps growing back into her yard from the back neighbor's! Every time it gets close enough to my yard (several times a summer) for me to be able to spray it thru the cracks and over the fence with Weed-B-Gon, I do! I'll be fighting this stuff until the day I die--assuming I'm still living here when that happens!!! And, because it's so close, I now have seedlings coming up in my perennial beds every year too.

Obviously if somebody decides to grow it or not is a personal choice, but be forewarned of how extremely invasive it will be once it gets going, and if it's anywhere adjoining a neighbor's yard, consider what you're doing to them too!

Down with Virginia Creeper!

Skybird