Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissaco_gw

St. John's Wort plant

MelissaCO
20 years ago

Has anyone in Zone 5 ever planted a St. John's Wort plant? It produces a beautiful yellow flower with deep green leaves? Thanks for any advice you could give.

Comments (13)

• cnetter
    20 years ago

My neighbor has a low growing variety that grows in the shady areas of her yard. It does very well and behaves itself. I grew some from seed. I think it was from Seeds of Change. It did too well and invaded all the neighboring plants. I've been trying to obliterate it for two years, but it keeps escaping me.

• Jwj__
    20 years ago

I grew it until it went onto the no no list for my area, the hybrids are the better ones to get then the species ,since they tend to be less invasive,, that said I never had a problem with it being an out of control plant all the years it was in my garden,,however when the county extensions weed guys saw it in my flower bed, I was given a choice, pull it or have them spraying the whole garden and a 100 bucks for the fine,LOl
    jwj

• Rosa
    20 years ago

Jwj is right, plant the hybrids. The natives species is a listed noxious weed for Colorado.

• MelissaCO
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like it could really invade.

• delray
    20 years ago

Neighbor of mine (a landscaper) loves it for defined areas (kept in by sidewalk, street, etc on all sides) where he needs complete cover or retention. This is his favorite "invasive" cover plant, and he claims it is pretty much evergreen (only the tops get burned and are easy to clean up in the spring).
    I think I might try purple creeper or the low form of Mahonia. They also have year round interest with flower or excellent winter color.

• Kokopelli
    20 years ago

I have a purple winter creeper and in five years, it wants to dominate the world, not just my garden. I prune it, don't water it, and it happily continues to grow. On the other hand, I also have some St. John's Wort, in the shade, and it hardly does anything at all, except look good. mkp

• canyon_home
    20 years ago

The only St. Johnswort I have seen sold at nurseries in my area is Hypericum Calycinum. If you do a google search for noxious weeds, you'll get Hypericum Perforatum which is the one that runs rampant in Canada.

From a weed control board in Washington state:

DESCRIPTION: St. Johnswort is a perennial upright plant, growing 12 to 36 inches tall. Multiple stems emerge from the ground and these are reddish and woody at the base. There are numerous leaves, which are simple, oval, and opposite, and are borne directly on the stem. When held to the light, the leaves have numerous, small, transparent dots, as if from pinpricks. This distinguishing feature gives St. Johnswort its specific name of perforatum. The numerous bright yellow flowers are borne at the top of the plant. They are five-petaled and about ¾ inch in diameter, with many stamens. Seeds are rusty brown, making the plant appear rusty, later in the summer, when other yellow-flowering plants are greener.

Note: This is a different plant than Hypericum calycinum, which is sold as a ground cover under the name of creeping St. Johnswort

Here is a link that might be useful: Whatcom County weed control

• TillerBee
    20 years ago

I've got a plant growing on our property that I have been unable to identify but sounds like Hypericum Perforatum. It runs rampant in open, sunny dry areas. I've pulled and dug out the plants whenever I see one.

The plants are about 18 to 24 inches tall, have opposite leaves, branch freely from the leaf bases, and yellow flowers. I do not recall how many petals the flowers have but I'm thinking a flower has 4 or 5 petals. I also do not recall the flower as having long stamens that some pictures of St. John's Wort show.

Since it's still winter here, I don't have the plant right in front of me. I did a google search on the plant and pictures of it look like my weed. However, I could not find a complete description of Hypericum Perforatum.

The plant on our property has a tap root, about 6 inches long on well established plants. After the flowers fade, the seed pods are round and sticky. Actually, the whole plant is somewhat sticky by which I mean when I pull up an established plant, my hands get coated with a viscous substance.

If I mow the plant, the stems left in the ground are woody and hurt to walk on. The plant survives quite well after being mowed.

Do you think this is St. Johns Wort?

TillerBee

• canyon_home
    20 years ago

Here's some photos to help you decide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hypericum Perforatum.

• sandra_NY
    19 years ago

I planted one pot of Hypericum perforatum in zone 4 and now have it everywhere, both in sun and part shade.

I also have one Hypericum patulum 'Hidcote'which is a shrub now about 4 ft tall. It grows year to year but produces very sparse blooms. This year it had exactly one flower, close to the ground. Any ideas on what I can do to increase its bloom?
    Thanks.

• katefisher
    17 years ago

Question regarding Aaron's Beard. I would like to plant it in a contained area of the yard that I think it would do well in without getting out of hand. Here's my question, does anyone cut this plant down to the ground during the fall? I have noticed that a lot of people who grow it here have ugly dead wood on the bottom of the plants that make the plant look tired.

Thanks.

Kate

• grandmascuttings
    16 years ago

i bought one in a 3in pot a couple of yrs ago. it is about 2 ft in diameter now, but i wouldnt say it is invasive. i live in zone 4-5. michigan. what i would like to know though, is can you dig up some root to give away or is it only started by seeds? any help will be appreciated. i have a friend who wants some but doesnt want the wildflower seeds that i mixed it with. if you could pm me it would be great, since it is sometimes hard to check on the post that i have answered, lol i would never be in colorado gardens since i am in mi. but found this question in a search. i suppose i may just grab a shovel and find out. let you know if i find anything out either way. thanks, chris

• jeannie-kay
    15 years ago

Hi, I am writing for my mom who has the St. John's Wort Hypericum calycinum ground cover. It is blooming right now and the leaves have turned yellow and has dark spots on the leaves. Can anyone tell what is wrong with the ground cover? Thanks, Jeannie