Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikey256

Golden Raspberry Leaves Drying Up

mikey256
10 years ago

Does anyone know what is happening to my Golden Raspberry?

It died off in the summer heat last year despite my relentless watering. This year quite a few new stalks grew back, but this past week the new growth appears to be drying out and curling up. I am watering it twice a week due to the watering restrictions, but it hasn't been very hot yet and my Red Raspberry bush is doing just fine.

Could this be an insect of some kind?

Thanks,
Mikey

Comments (6)

• gjcore
    10 years ago

It might be a plant virus of some kind.

• bob_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I grow all sorts of brambles.

Have you recently fertilized or sprayed for weeds? Has it been overly windy with no water?

I would respectfully disagree about a virus. It doesn't look like a systemic issue. I'd trim those leafs back to the main cane and continue to se sure it's watered well.

If it develops in other leaf clusters, I'd cut that cane back to the ground. It's early enough in the season that it will develop new canes.

If it continues, then it may in fact be a virus. Where did the plants come from? New this year or last?

Have you checked the leaves for bugs?

• mikey256
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your help.

I spot sprayed a few weeds about a month ago, before the stalks grew. It has been windy and not very rainy, I am in Denver, so I can only water twice a week, but I am getting the soil wet pretty deep when I do water.

I didnâÂÂt see any bugs on the leaves, that was my first though. I supposed they could be micro bugs of some sort. ItâÂÂs actually happening on a few stalks now. Ill cut the leaves back and see what happens.

This is the 3rd season for the berries, I got them at City Floral in Denver.

Thanks,
    Mikey

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    10 years ago

I don't remember ever seeing anything quite like that, and I don't have room to grow raspberries!, but I have a suggestion!!!

It doesn't really look like bugs to me, but on the slight chance that it is, try my Magic Cure All! Mix some Palmolive green dishwashing soap in water and thoroughly spray the whole thing--either on a cloudy day (not likely!) or late in the day when the sun is no longer hitting them. I recommend a pressure sprayer so you can really soak everything, including the back sides of the leaves, and I usually spray the soil around the base of the plants too. If you want to you can wait an hour or so and then "forcefully" wash the plant off with plain water to "wash off" anything that might be left, or if you do it late in the day you don't even really need to do that. I really don't think it's bugs, but no harm in trying!

If you're watering deeply twice a week they could possibly be getting too much water, but that doesn't look like overwatering to me since the overall plant looks healthy! And I think raspberries can take a lot of water--raspberry growers correct me if I'm wrong about that!

It almost looks like some sort of sun scorch to me, but sunburn usually turns leaves white, not dark, and if it were it would be a one-time thing and not progressive like you seem to be describing!

Any chance an herbicide (or something else) might have blown onto them from a neighbor?

If the bath doesn't seem to help at all you might want to cut off a cane or two and take them in to a "real" garden center and ask if they can help diagnose the problem. ("Real" garden center doesn't include places like the big box stores. Kelly at Timberline could probably help but it doesn't sound like you're anywhere near there. Possibly City Floral?)

In Thornton we can only water twice a week this year too, but that only applies to turf up here. Perennials/annuals, veggies and things like small fruit can be watered as needed--assuming your not wasting water. You might want to check the Denver restrictions online to see if that's true for you too.

Welcome to RMG,
    Skybird

• gjcore
    10 years ago

You might try asking over at the fruit and orchard forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: fruit and orchard forum

• mikey256
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much Skybird. I sprayed them, I only had clear Palmolive and a hand sprayer, but I gave it my best. I did it at night and left it on. I also cut back the bad leaves and hope I donâÂÂt get anymore.

I donâÂÂt think it could be an herbicide as there are structures between me and two of the three neighbors and the third neighborâÂÂs yard is all weeds.

If it comes back, IâÂÂll take a stalk to City Floral. Thanks so much!