Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colokid

How hot for my GH?

colokid
13 years ago

How hot can I let my GH get before it does damage to tomatoes, squash, etc.?

I have a 3000cu. ft/min swamp cooler fan running. Which brings in outside air, But I don't like to turn the water part on all the time, cause of some leaks.

Is 90 degrees about top, or can they stand 100 for a short time? Or what?

I know about the pollenization thing at high temp and humidity.

While I am here; anybody here in Kersey need a job hoeing weeds? in my garden. And some yard cleanup. I'll pay pretty good and I have many tomatoes seedling left over.

KennyP

Comments (9)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Depends upon the tomato var but fruiting stops ~lo 90ºF and metabolism stops 9-12ºF above that, tissue damage generally you need to approach ~110ºF. The good cold-adapted ones knock a few º down. Squash IIRC about the same-ish.

Dan

• digit
    13 years ago

Regardless of the reaction of tomato/squash, I begin to panic when the thermometer goes above 85º, Kenny.

In the rose greenhouse, we would throw water on everything at that temperature. A misting system was installed while I was there to replace a worker with a crazed look in his eyes and a finger over the end of a hose, running up and down the rows.

S'

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Greenhouse Shmeehouse. Forecast of 96º today, about that yesterday, and if you ever wanted to see a bunch of sad, newly-set-out tomato seedlings, look no further than the '52 gardens.

Heavily mulched with grass clippings, well watered, and fingers crossed.

13 years ago

I was pretty sure this weather was coming,, so I got out everything early to get acclimated, but still some ornamentals in ground are unhappy and the lettuce 'Skyphos' is not nearly as heat tolerant as advertised, whereas 'Mottistone' is more so. I'm hoping the 100+ pea pods ripening now don't get cooked in the next couple days.

Brutal heat swings around here lately.

Kenny, you might want to think about investing in whitewash or shade cloth for the GH to cut the light coming in.

Dan

• colokid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comments every body.
    Supposed to get close to 100 tomorrow, Monday.
    I will run the water part of the swamp cooler at all time. Cooler is on a thermostat at about 80 degrees.
    I think I could be better off with the swamp cooler and GH than the out side garden stuff.
    Shade cloth??? I just spent 2 weeks tieing the green house down with steel posts and bailing wire in the wind storms. No way am I going to try to throw a cloth over it.
    Maybe I should have placed it under a shade tree.
    One thing about a GH, is you learn some thing new every day.
    Kenny

13 years ago

Our greenhouse ops class taught it was pretty much standard procedure that shade cloth/whitewash went on after date X and came off after date Y.

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

I use a 50% shade cloth on the greenhouse, it knocks off 20ºF in there. I also have one on the NE porch which is a 65% shade sitting on vegas, or horizontal wooden beams 8' off the ground, that dramatically cools the house by shading the west windows.

I don't want to talk about swamp coolers. I've been trying to set mine up for 4 days now, with one thing after another going wrong, currently letting some black goop dry that I hope stops the leak into the house. 72 hour cure time.

Did I mention it's 96º out?

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Check out the whitewash Dan mentioned, Kenny. It's been used on commercial greenhouses for decades, and it WON'T blow off!

:-)
    Skybird

• colokid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Followup:
    I just ordered a bottle of varishade.
    Cheap enough, But the shipping costs a bunch.
    So thanks for the comments.
    We will see how it works, Kenny