Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dafygardennut

Tornados in June

dafygardennut
14 years ago

We got tons of hail and it looks like it formed right over us and touched down right by Southlans mall. I know there was one earlier in Broomfield.

Is everyone okay?

Dafy/Jen

Comments (17)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

That one passed about a mile +- south of us and the hail pounded a number of plants into the ground. I called it in (trained weather observer) but apparently so had others so warning was good. I saw it touch down only briefly & can't be much damage from it. However,

We had numerous quarter-sized hailstones and the ground was covered in pea-sized. I got most of the veggies covered that were exposed, but there's a lot of flat plants out there. Good thing we're going out of town so we don't have to look at them!

Dan

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

There's a report on now that the Penney's at Southlands Mall got hit. Guess there's a lot of damage but only minor injuries. A woman who was in the Penney's said they announced for everybody to go to the center of the store, then the tornado hit, and then they announced there was a gas main break! Sounds like everybody is back out of there now!

I had just finished cutting the grass in the back yard and was deadheading plants when it started to rain a few drops, but not enough to get me inside. Ten minutes later is started to rain enough that I came inside and checked NOAA to see if it was gonna last---and found out there had been a tornado warning up here for 20 minutes! I saw something on TV about a tornado in Thornton, but couldn't figure out where! There must not have been any/much damage because they're not talking about it and there are no pictures!

I got just a little bit of hail up here, and not much rain. No damage at all, thank goodness, but when I saw what was going on I moved everything I have in pots up under the deck roof. Bet if I had left them out where they could have gotten hailed on, I would have been pounded!!!

It's been a long time since we've had tornados right in the Metro area! On radar it looks like most of it has moved out onto the plains.

Hope everyone's ok,
    Skybird

14 years ago

Yeah, we' ve been watching the local news and apparently I saw the first ground contact. The path was apparently several miles long but the damage isn't that great, not like last year's in Windsor or what you see back east. So we lucked out on this one overall. Can't say the same for the lamb's ears or Monarda or some of the wee ones...

Dan

• conace55
    14 years ago

We're about 3 miles west of Southlands Mall. We got a good amount of hail including some golf ball sized hailstones. Did a good bit of damage to my just blooming peonies, iris, and the hostas. The plants won't look so good this year, but there's always next year. Gotta love Colorado weather.

Connie

14 years ago

Cut all but a couple of the newest leaves off of your hosta, Connie, and in a few weeks they should be back and looking good again. Hosta get new leaves all summer, and they're really just getting going for the year. By cutting off most of the leaves, they should produce new ones more quickly than if you let the old foliage on the plant. Wish there was some way I could help with the iris and peonies!

Guess there were just a few barns damaged up here in the Thornton area. I heard the tornado was near 144th and I25. I'm at 136th and Colorado Blvd--8 blocks south and 2 miles east.

Skybird

14 years ago

Mr Goober wants to estimate the amount of damage of the hail (more extensive) vs that of the more-publicized tornader but not sure I have the time for it. My feeling is that the yards under the hail are far, far more unhappy.

:;o(

Dan

• jaliranchr
    14 years ago

Hope everyone is ok. The plants will recover better than you might think they will at the moment. I have found a shot of kelp foliar spray after a hail storm helps mine recover from the stress. Good luck all.

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Whats the name of that "plant vitamin miracle" stuff they sell in very small yellow(?) bottles in nurseries? Seems it would be snake oil? I'm forgetting....

Anywho, one of the best, professional horticulturists around here was telling me, following a bad hail storm here, that that stuff, sprayed on within a day or so following hail, worked wonders.

Good luck, all. Hail is discouraging.

14 years ago

I'm hoping the very battered lamb's ears don't recover because I don't really care for them, so if folk could emit positive karma into the multiverse for all BUT the lamb's ears I'd be grateful.

;o)

Dan

14 years ago

Emiting for "most" of your plants, Dan! Wish I could say I was thinking evil thoughts your way for the lamb's ear, but I have the non-blooming kind, and I like it!

:-)
    Skybird

• colokid
    14 years ago

Just east of Greeley here. Could see funnel way south of me. Had the ground white with hail under my tomatoes, but they look surprisingly good. Tried to get by without my usual "bucket and a rock". Some were sick from too much water all ready. Believe me, this is Colorado. Been here for 80 years and farmed all of it except for military time.
    Kennyp

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    14 years ago

My folks live off of 136th and Lowell. They lost power for an hour and a half but the tornado was just east of them thankfully. Looks like skybird got lucky, too! In Fort Lupton, I spent the storm out in my garden swing with a fire going in the fire place, just watching the sky. We had nice rain, no hail. My condolences to those of you with property damage and lost plants. It's early, you can begin again. Looks like we are in for another exciting season!

• aliceg8
    14 years ago

Well, I've been away for a while. Busy with gardens and dogs and everything.

I had just about finished planting my annuals this weekend. Yesterday I was out shopping on the east side of Fort Collins when the storm hit. It rained hard over there. Then as I headed to the west side of town and home I started seeing some hail. But at first I didn't think much of it, but as I got within a couple of blocks of home it looked like winter. There was a couple of inches of hail on the ground. Everything here is just decimated.

In the veggie garden everything that was up is gone. There's one large tomato that is still standing. Fortunately I was late planting my after last frost seeds, so I think some of that stuff and the potatos will be ok. But there's still hail on the ground this morning and I think all the tender stuff will be done in by the cold. Last night the couple of leaves that were left on the basil were black. So I guess I'll head to the nursery this morning and buy new stuff where I can. I'm bummed though because my Black tomato that I've been growing from harvested seed for two years is totally gone, and of course I don't have any more seed.

Such a downer I have to say. This is my first experience with Colorado hail in summer. I guess it makes you appreciate how devasting this kind of thing is for people who grow things for a living, or our ancestors who grew to provide for themselves.

Alice
    Fort Collins

• jclepine
    14 years ago

I was wondering what all that commotion in the air was about! We had odd weather up here and I was worried there would be hail damage to my tulips. I could feel the hail in the air, but it never hit. Just rain and gusts that came and went.

I very glad you are all okay. I'm sorry not all your plants are as okay.

I'm wishing you all good, strong, fast and healthy plant recovery!!! Don't forget to ask for what you lost when the fall swap rolls around.

Alice, maybe someone had received seed from you from that tomato?

J.

• jaliranchr
    14 years ago

I wouldn't give up on everything Alice. I really wouldn't. I've been through these my whole life and it is amazing what will recover even though I didn't think they would. Zukes have had split stems that I splinted and then produced. Various flowers retreated and came back with great vigor. Don't give up on your tomatoes either, if they have healthy roots, there might be a sucker re-emerge in the next few days.

I breaks your heart at the moment, but don't give into despair -- I know that's hard :). I've even seen plants whipped by a bad tornado finally produce blooms and fruit. (Yes, I went through the June 6, 1990 one in this town and the destruction was bad.)

• jeremywildcat
    14 years ago

I was playing golf at Riverdale Dunes when the tornado in Thornton came down, and got a really good view of it the whole time. Only pea sized hail at my home near downtown, so thankfully no garden damage.

• jnfr
    14 years ago

I didn't even realize there had been tornadoes until I saw the news today. We got a little hail and then thunder and rain, but I didn't see anything else.

Hope everyone's plants recover!