Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conace55

What is this shrub? (no picture)

conace55
13 years ago

I've noticed a shrub around my part of town (southeastern aurora/centennial) that I find so attractive. I even stopped to ask a woman who had one in her yard if she knew what it was but she didn't know.

I don't know how to post pictures (on my list of things to accomplish) but I wonder if anyone can guess what it could be by its description. The woman broke a branch off so that I could see it better.

The shrub I saw was probably about 7 feet tall. Its narrow, opposite leaves are about one inch in length and oblong in shape. The leaves are almost solid green near the base of the stem, but turn to increasing variagation (green/white) toward the end of the stem. At the very end of the stem the leaves are almost solid white so that it looks like a flowering shrub.

I know this is as clear as mud, but if anyone knows what it is, I'd appreciate some guesses.

Connie

Comments (12)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Maybe a weigela if arching branches and an acuminate leaf tip.

Dan

• conace55
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your response Dan. The branches aren't really arching and the leaf tip is more rounded. I would call the variegation "mottled".

There don't seem to be any blossoms on the plant. It just appears to have blossoms because the ends are whiter. I don't know whether these leaves will eventually turn greener or not. I have a couple of shrubs near my home that I'll keep my eye on.

I've looked online and in several of my gardening books trying to identify this bush/shrub. Now it's really bugging me. LOL

Connie

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

You asked for guesses, and that's exactly what this is, Connie, a WILD guess! Could it possibly be a variegated dogwood? I thought of this only because it's pretty commonly found at local garden centers, and from when I was occasionally involved with nursery sales, a lot of people seemed to be attracted to it. I don't remember exactly, but I'm thinking the leaves might be bigger than you're describing, but check out the pic and google it for more pics to see if there's any resemblance. There are different varieties with somewhat varying variegations, so if it looks close, but no cigar, it could be a different variety. Also, if you live near a "real" garden center, you might consider taking a small piece of branch in to get it identified.

When you figure out what it is, let us know!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated dogwood

• conace55
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Skybird but that's not it either. The leaves don't go to a point like that, and the variegation is more splotchy than rimmed. And you're right, the leaves are smaller on the mystery bush.

Connie

• conace55
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, where there's a will there's a way. I don't know why the caption reads "desktop", but I'll work on that later.

Anyone have a guess now? {{gwi:1209649}}Desktop

Connie

13 years ago

Too blurry for me but vaguely like winter creeper, Euonymus fortunei.

Dan

• jclepine
    13 years ago

I thought that too but Euonymus seems to have pointier tips on the leaves.

What about Lonicera nitida?

I was also thinking Ligustrum sinensis but those leaves are too pointy too.

I hope you find out what it is otherwise my brain will be thinking on this ALL DAY!

It is very pretty. Did you ask the lady if it has bloomed? That might help.

Good luck,

J

13 years ago

Lonicera opposite lvs. The ID key for euonymus is look for black dot gland in the base of each serration in leaf, magnified..

Dan

• xray
    13 years ago
  • conace55
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ding ding ding ding! X-ray you're the winner. That's it! The woman I spoke with did tell me that they are also sold in "tree" form, and now I see what she was talking about.

Thanks so much. Now I can find out it I want one or just enjoy it in the yard of someone else.

Connie

• jclepine
    13 years ago

I've been hoping this would get identified! I would have NEVER guessed Salix. I really like this plant...not that I need anymore things to water, just that it is very pretty. Thanks for the ID, Xray.

• xray
    13 years ago

I'm happy to be able to contribute to this awesome group.

I only recently discovered this plant on my bike ride home about two weeks ago. Having read how easy it is to root, I may just get one myself this summer.

Do I need to be concerned about the roots of this willow shrub regarding my water pipes?

Thanks.

xRay