Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jws0611

What's Eating My Garden!! Pics

JWS0611
10 years ago

Hi All,

I have been trying to grow spinach, tomatoes, peppers but can't seem to figure out what is eating my plants.

Can you help me figure out what they are so I can find something to get rid of them?

Comments (7)

• JWS0611
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I added the link to the other pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden 2013

• tomatoz1
    10 years ago

sunscald in pics 2-5. Maybe using a sunscreen covering might be useful with our hot sun.

Tomato in pic 1 - looking at the stem may have a blight. Don't know enough about this but there's lots of info about it. Might be best to find a fungicide quickly.

• gjcore
    10 years ago

Overall your plants do not look very healthy so there's probably some other problem going on. Looks like some flea beetle damage and maybe some slug damage. I think I can see flea beetles on the spinach unless that's splashed up soil.

Hard to guess what your problem could be. Did you harden off your transplants? Maybe you've been over watering? Over fertilizing?

• JWS0611
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I'm about ready to scrap the whole garden, its a mess and I don't know what to do to fix it.

I haven't fertilized in 2 weeks, I water every other day, maybe that's too much. Not sure what hardening off transplants means, so I didn't do that.

Based on what the tomatoes said when I bout them, that they needed full sun, but I guess it's too much. Ugh!

• bob_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Looks like sun scald 100%.

If you have the room, here's what I've done. On the north side of the house, I built a small raised bed. It only gets dappled sunlight in the late afternoon. I successfully grow lettuce late, late into the season. I grow my lettuce, spinach, celery, brussel sprouts and broccoli over there.

Here's a tip. The first couple years I tried direct sowing with poor results. I don't think the seeds get enough sun to germinate. So I've been using transplants I start in a tray first.

• gjcore
    10 years ago

Spinach, peppers and tomatoes are good with full sun so that is definitely not the problem.

You might want to pull up some of your plants and take a look at the roots. I'm thinking root rot from too much water might be causing your main problem. Also not hardening off has stressed your plants.

• JWS0611
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I will try that with the smaller plants and see what I can find. I will probably take out the broccoli and other items that aren't growing and see if that will help the rest of the garden.

Also, I just bought some new plants and will gradually introduce them into the new climate.

Thanks for the suggestions.