Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windwhipped

Have yarrow, afraid to plant

windwhipped
13 years ago

My only experience with achillea is Moonshine, which has grown like gangbusters in my xeric garden, but which is a clumping yarrow that I don't worry about spreading. But this year, I have bought some bare root "Pretty Belinda's" that I haven't planted yet because I am worried that they will spread and become a pest. Does anybody have experience with spreading yarrows? How invasive are they? Are there any companion plants that will kept them in check? Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Comments (7)

• jnfr
    13 years ago

Other than Moonshine, yarrows have died out on me. The varieties seem to really vary in how much they insist on rich soil and moisture. It's hard for me to imagine yarrow becoming a big pest in your area (though I don't think I've seen Belinda).

• digit
    13 years ago

I don't know anything about Pretty Belinda, either, WindWhipped.

In Dad's backyard, I planted all kinds of achillea over the years. There was a mixed pastel, Cerise Queen, Pearl, and Cloth of Gold. Most of them have come and gone.

I guess it was the pastel mix that began to steadily creep out into the sunny part of Dad's lawn. They do spread and you can think of them as invasive.

Dad liked it in his lawn. That yarrow was very "ferny" and soft. He had problems with a sparse lawn in the front yard because it slopes to the west and sprinkler water runs off. Also, there is tree root competition.

Dad transplanted the yarrow out there. It began to spread in that location also. However, it doesn't like the shade and he had 3 trees out there. So, his efforts weren't very successful.

Dad liked it but you may not. If you are willing to use Weed and Feed or any type of herbicide on your lawn, I doubt if the yarrow would invade the grass. But, maybe you aren't worried about the lawn is it the flower beds that are your concern? It isn't much trouble there.

Steve

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

I like it in others' gardens - gardens that are located FAR FAR from mine.

I've only gardened in full sun and yarrow spreads like mad, squeezing out other plants as it goes. I had difficulty completely removing it from my sod area.

anhmom

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

All of the yarrows in my garden are well behaved, though some are a bit floppy. I have Terra Cotta, Walter Funke, Paprika, and Anthea. The clumps seem to be about the same size each year. I love the lacey look of the blooms, and they attract lots of pollinators. My only compaint, other than having to stake a couple of them, is that the grasshoppers like to hideout in them.

Bonnie

• nancy_in_co
    13 years ago

Hi,

I vote with Bonnie. All my yarrows are quite well behaved too. I have Terra Cotta, paprika and Cerise Queen in the spreading family and Moonshine and Parker's variety in the clumping family.

Yes, the spreaders spread a little but in a nice way. I just haven't experienced the agression that Anhmom describes above. I have them in full sun and also partial sun but my garden is quite dry. You have to be very thirsty before I water. I wonder if that has anything to do with how much spreading you get.

I say Plant it but watch it carefully next year. If you don't like what you are getting, use the big shovel theory. The big shovel theory is what a big shovel puts in, a bigger shovel can take out.

Nancy

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

We have ~4-5 vars of the spreaders, not an issue. Not that vigorous as we don't water where they are unless droughty.

Dan

• windwhipped
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all. I am mostly reassured and, heck, since I already have them I'm going to give them a try. Especially since I do want them to spread a little, but only in the direction I tell them to. Pretty Belinda is a new variety I bought on the net from Hallson Gardens (excellent for big bare root plants). www.perennialnursery.com in the perennial section if you want to take a look at Belinda.