Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing Korean spice viburnums in Denver

Posted by Rosamunde Colorado (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 17:02

Has anyone had experience growing a Korean Spice Viburnum?
Just planted my first one. I've read that they grow slowly and prefer an acidic soil, which of course we don't have. Have added compost and peat moss. Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing Korean spice viburnums in Denver

I just planted my first 2 a couple of weeks ago (and have 2 more sitting in pots that I need to get in the ground ASAP), so am also interested in any replies to your post.

I have a friend who is growing a Korean Spice Viburnum (Viburnum 'Carlesii') in a mostly shaded area, and I've always admired his. It is sort of spindly looking, in a cute "Charlie Brown" sort of way, but I'm assuming that is partly due to growing in shade. Either way, I think it's a nice looking shrub, and will be especially great for growing vines through. It smells (and looks) great when in bloom, and has an attractive branching pattern. I think our local park also has a few in full sun that are more "lush" than my friend's, but they could be V. Juddii, which is a hybrid of V. Carlesii and another viburnum (whose name I can't post because GardenWeb seems to be flagging it as profanity).

o

I have one Korean Spice Viburnum that I planted about 3 years ago. So far it is unimpressive. Mine is spindly looking too, only it is in full sun. It has had blooms every year, but they are small in number and size. All in all, I'm much happier with my regular ol' snowball viburnums, which are lush and put on quite a show when they bloom. Hope you all have better success than I have with your KSVs!

Trish

o

I have had one for years here in Aurora. It was labeled Korean Spice when I purchased it. I now doubt that's what it is because it's 15 feet tall. It's a great shrub and delightfully fragrant when it blooms.

o

I have two Korean spice viburnum growing on the northwest side of our house north of Denver -- so they get the hot, afternoon sun. They're on a drip and they're mulched to keep their roots moist. I use chipped Christmas trees for the mulch, which adds a bit of acidity, which they like. Right now they're packed with buds set last summer. I can't recommend them more -- they are among my favorite bushes, especially for front yards and patio areas. The flowers are lovely to look at up close, the leaves have a deep green tone that feels lush, and the flowers are plentiful and fragrant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here