Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david52_gw

notes on frosted plants

david52 Zone 6
15 years ago

I didn't cover anything up for the freeze on Sunday-Monday, and quite a few plants got hit, but was out there today covering things with grass clippings for tonight and *observed*....

The winter squash, if there was even one leaf left un-frozen, was already shooting new leaves from the crown. The ones that all the leaves froze, well, they're dead.

The peppers, I left most of them be, but on 10 or so, I snipped off the dead leaves right where they came out of the stem. Already, new growth on those, but not on the ones that I just left the dead leaves hanging. That little stem thingie going from the trunk to the actual leaf is still alive, but the plants weren't growing anything new.

Tomatoes didn't get hit that hard, but I know from past experience, that even if they're badly hit, and all the leaves freeze off, that if I cut them right above the first node in the stem, 80% of the plants will come back, and likely produce fruit.

So, good luck out there, for these next few days, but it isn't all that bad.....

Comments (7)