Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
notes on frosted plants

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 17:31

I didn't cover anything up for the freeze on Sunday-Monday, and quite a few plants got hit, but was out there today covering things with grass clippings for tonight and *observed*....

The winter squash, if there was even one leaf left un-frozen, was already shooting new leaves from the crown. The ones that all the leaves froze, well, they're dead.

The peppers, I left most of them be, but on 10 or so, I snipped off the dead leaves right where they came out of the stem. Already, new growth on those, but not on the ones that I just left the dead leaves hanging. That little stem thingie going from the trunk to the actual leaf is still alive, but the plants weren't growing anything new.

Tomatoes didn't get hit that hard, but I know from past experience, that even if they're badly hit, and all the leaves freeze off, that if I cut them right above the first node in the stem, 80% of the plants will come back, and likely produce fruit.

So, good luck out there, for these next few days, but it isn't all that bad.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: notes on frosted plants

Rocky Mountain gardening is always a gamble, isn't it? It's hard to believe it will be that cold, when it's currently 60 degrees outside.

Cheers,
Michelle

o

Holding at 40F...

Cheers,
Michelle

o

It only dropped to 36 last night, but it looks like I'll be covering those tomatoes and peppers one more night. The low for tonight is supposed to be 34.

Bonnie

o

The outside one read 32 this morning, but it was colder than that, circles of ice all around the sprinklers and on the hay on the way into town.

o

It got down to 37 last night in the Denver metro area. My tomatoes, melons, and squash look fine, though. I would have put cloches over them, though, if I'd known it was going to get that cold.

o

We get down to between 35F and 32F fairly often here, and it doesn't do anything to any of the frost sensitive plants. But once its below freezing, then there's damage.

o

The garden hasn't had frost but the long days and nights of cold, wind, overcast, rain, etc. has resulted in loss of some of my Honey Girl Charentais melons. They are rotting right at the soil line.

Luckily, I have quite a few planted. They all look pathetic as do some of the other melons but I think half or so will hold up.

Asian melons look the best of that group, squash & pumpkins seem to be okay, cukes appear to be unfazed. Some of the tomatoes are more purple than green.

Warmer weather this afternoon and more warmth is forecast!! Thank Heavens!

digitS'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here