Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Red Hot!!!

highalttransplant
12 years ago

Okay, thought I would just keep the color thread theme going. Most of my reds aren't blooming yet, but I found one.

Dianthus 'Black Magic' (I think. If not, it's 'Sooty')

{{gwi:404434}}

It's actually darker, and more burgundy than it appears in this photo.

Maltese Cross is just starting to open up, so I'll add more pics to this thread soon.

Feel free to add your own red hot bloomers : )

Bonnie

Comments (25)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Well, you beat me to it, I was going to do shades of reddish, so I will anyway:

Heuchera spp. next to new paver border:

Salvia greggii 'Furman's Red'

Geum 'Mrs Bradshaw'

Dianthus 'Flashing Lights'

Acer japonicum 'Bloodgood'

Physocarpus opulifolius 'Coppertina' blooming nicely

Berberis thunbergii 'Ruby Glow'

Dianthus 'Spotty'

Papaver orientalis & Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'

Back to work!

Dan

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very nice, Dan!

Sorry to beat you to the punch. We haven't done a yellow thread yet : )

Hey, while you're saving the Digitalis obsura seeds for me, could you set aside some of those Geum 'Mrs. Bradshaw' too. I've been wanting a red Geum for about 3 years now, but can't seem to get them established.

I've tried numerous Heucheras, but they are not happy here. They'll live a season or two, but then gradually wither away to nothing.

Hoping to have more reds to show soon ...

12 years ago

Got me some yellas! And white. Thank you, I particularly like that Dianthus 'Flashing Lights'. I had a prof in undergrad who grew Dianthus and I didn't understand until recently.

Our heuchera, for some reason, continue to live. They are all eastern exposure and moved to least amount of sun. Not my area of control, aside from I moved them there and walked away ;o) .

And I forgot I had this from when we had the haze from the fires:

Helianthemum nummularium and Cerastium tomentosum

Dan

• gjcore
    12 years ago

Bonnie, I had Dianthus a few years ago and it was a really intense color. Maybe time to get some more.

I don't have any red flowers except some snow peas right now and the red doesn't seem to come through on my phone's camera. I really need to fix my camera or get a new one.

I do have this tasty looking red strawberry.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nice strawberries, Gjcore! Mine haven't started producing yet.

Here are a couple more reds:

Another shot of the Dianthus
    {{gwi:404435}}

Wintersown Petunia 'Picobella Red'. Already blooming and the plant is only about an inch tall!
    {{gwi:404438}}

Lychnis chalcedonica, wintersown '09
    {{gwi:404437}}

Penstemon pinifolius

That's all for now. I'll be adding more soon : )

12 years ago

Knautia macedonica

Callirhoe involucrata

Dan

• cnetter
    12 years ago

I need to get out and take a lot of pics, but here's a few recent ones:
    The first is an unknown ice plant. It's similar to Red Mountain, but not quite. The bloom is much brighter:

The second is one of my favorite little semps:

12 years ago

That ice plant is very cool.

Dan

• cinderspritzer
    12 years ago

I call this one my surprise, and it's one of lots planted by the previous owners. I found it peeking out from under a massively overgrown mess of purple roses.

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

cnetter - if you are ever able to get some cuttings off of your ice plant and "semps" (sempervivums) for one of the swaps, I would LOVE to have some. They are awesome!!!

I'll have to get some shot of my red ones to post ...

Marj

12 years ago

Dianthus 'King of the Blacks':

Dan

• cinderspritzer
    12 years ago

Seems no matter how many shots I took at any angle, I couldn't get a good picture of these :-/

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Oooo - Dan, your shot of your Dianthus reminds me of a Georgia O'Keefe painting! Love her stuff. Very cool!!

Marj

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Ok, here are a couple of my reds!

Geranium:

And Snapdragon:

• cinderspritzer
    12 years ago

Hibiscus Rose-

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

I intended to get this done earlier, but, still, in honor of the Fourth of July, here are my reds!

My annual Dianthus chinensis---that comes back every year!

My favorite Sweet William---which has bloomed for at least three years now--but I have still not been successful in getting seed from it--and the seeds probably wouldn't come true to color anyway since I have other Sweet Williams in the yard!

And my one red (it's considered to be "black!") rose! 'Ink Spots'

Skybird

• cnetter
    12 years ago

mstywoods,
    I doubt I'll ever make it to a swap, but if you live in Westminster, you don't live very far from me. I have a LOT of different kinds of semps.
    That particular one in the picture is Jeanne d'Arc.

• conace55
    12 years ago

Hope for Humanity rose

From reds

Montmorency Cherries -- Historically, we've harvested the tree over the July 4th holiday. They're reddening very quickly, but we have a few more days until harvest.

From reds

• libraryannie
    12 years ago

Peonies
    {{gwi:1210032}}
    Yarrow
    {{gwi:1210035}}
    Bellotts Fourpi
    {{gwi:1210038}}
    Royal Ruby
    {{gwi:1210040}}
    Monkey Flower
    {{gwi:1210043}}

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

cnetter - sorry to hear you don't think you'll ever make it to a swap! I highly recommend it if it's at all possible for you!!

I have a few semps, and I think they are all from past swaps (and probably from Skybird). I'm new to them - from googling, seems like most are varieties of Hens and Chicks. Is that right?

I found a great thread from RMG on the topic: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rmgard/msg0618074522955.html?14. Skybird - I absolutely love the 'cobweb' - what a unique plant!!

I was also fascinated with greenbean08's neighbors "martian" - how cute! And if Gardenbutt is still an active member - what an absolutely beautiful home you created with your husband!! I didn't see a pic of your living roof, however, that you mentioned you had semps growing on. Would love to see that!

cnetter - send me a private message if you'd really like to pass along some of your semps :^) That would be lovely! Let me know what plants you are looking for in case I might have some to swap with you.

BethAnne - love your Royal Ruby and Monkey Flower!

Marj

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

I don't want to hijack the Red Thread, but, Misty, if you're getting into the semps, go to Cnetter's bio page, click on her PhotoBucket link, then scroll down to the Sempervivum, 156 photos link on the right and click on it, then click on View All at the top---and be amazed! And she has pics of most of them at different times of the year, so you can see how very much many of them change during the year! I looked at most of them, but had to stop because I was drooling all over my keyboard! ;-) And then go to the link below and check out the alpha links on the right side! Oh, my! There are SO many I'd like to have!

I love the two red ones you posted too, BethAnne! But I think your fingers got mixed up when you typed the title for your first pic! ;-) Welcome to RMG! Glad to have you joining us!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: SMG Succulents

• libraryannie
    12 years ago

Ooops! Dementia setting in. Thanks for pointing out the error, Skybird!! Petunias!! I have heard that peonies do well in the high country, though...and are deer proof?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Most of the daylilies I received from Catladysgarden are blooming now. Here are a couple of the reds.

Mended Heart

Merle Kent

Coreopsis tinctoria 'Roulette', which I wintersowed this year. This is its first bloom. Can't wait to see it covered in blooms!

{{gwi:404466}}

Gaillardia 'Burgundy', wintersowed in '07

{{gwi:404444}}

More later ...

• jnfr
    12 years ago

That's a gorgeous coreopsis, and very unusual. I like it!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, jnfr! I'll be saving seeds from it, if you'd like some in the fall.