Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bombus_gw

call for xeric garden pics

bombus
18 years ago

hi! would anyone be willing to post pics of your xeric gardens? either links or maybe start a thread in the perennial forum gallery... i would love to see them please!

i'd start but my gardens aren't particularily xeric. frankly alot of xeric plants look like weeds to me. so, convince me otherwise! thanks! --bonnie

Comments (11)

• MusicMom
    18 years ago

Here's a section of one of my back borders last spring. Things aren't really blooming there yet except the salvia. In another couple of weeks the plant on the left (tanacetum niveum) will be covered in white and the one on the right (Achillea "Moonlight") will be yellow. By midsummer this garden is a bit crowded. Also, in another couple of weeks, the county mulch site will open up so I can bury the soaker hose! This garden gets watered once every 1-2 weeks, depending on temps, wind, and supplemental rains.

{{gwi:1210073}}

I tried to find more pictures of other gardens for you, but they seem to have disappeared... **sigh**

• amester
    18 years ago

Hi, my front yard is nothing but xeric - we're getting a digital camera in the next week or so and as soon as I can figure everything out I'll be happy to post! You might consider Ozark sundrops, penstemon, twinspur, columbine and daylilies - they're all very pretty. I also have catmint, poppy mallow, veronica, salvia and hyssop. I can't wait to contribute, hope my photos will help!

• bombus
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thank you for your replies! what a lovely garden musicmom! i bet it looks great between the bloomtimes too! i haven't heard of tanacetum before. i definitely need to check it out!
    amester, that's a good list. i have some of them... columbines grow wild here. very pretty! i love my daylilies (as do the slugs!). and i keep adding more salvias. penstemons have never impressed me for some reason. but maybe i'll try one this year. yes yes, i think i will! please post a pic when you can, i'd love a tour of your front yard and i'm guessing that i'm not the only one!
    i took two pictures yesterday from my yard. i'll get them posted once i figure out how. that may take a while...
    thanks again! bonnie

• MusicMom
    18 years ago

Ha! I found a few other pictures... I thought my computer had eaten them, but it was just the usual operator error. :)

Here's the same border a little later in the year. The tanacetum niveum is in bloom--it's really a lovely plant.

{{gwi:1210074}}

Here's one of my favorite plants--oenothera macrocarpa (missouriensis). It's the only oenothera I trust.

{{gwi:1210077}}

This one is from my front garden. Centranthus ruber in two colors, and the yellow is anthemis somethingorother (can't remember... I'll look it up if you want to know).

{{gwi:1210078}}

This one is a hardy Gazania called "Colorado Gold" along with some generic alpine asters grown from seed.

{{gwi:1210079}}

Here's some Iberis in bloom. It's turned out to be one the most reliably xeric plants I have, which surprised me. The blue in the background is vinca minor, and the dog is Rosie.

{{gwi:1210086}}

I'll take a few more pictures as the year progresses and other things bloom, but if we post too many pictures here this thread is going to take forever to load! :)

• bombus
    Original Author
    18 years ago

oh thanks again musicmom! very nice!

here's my two pics:
    first, herb garden at the corner of my house.
    lavender, sage, rosemary and thyme. they're all runnning into each other. who'd have thought they'd get so big?!

{{gwi:1210087}}
    --------------------------------------
    and next, this bed's on the east side of my house. i lost the blue flax/linum this winter. it blooms at the same time and provided the much needed blue. so there's mainly just dianthus and centranthus right now. very pink. the bed also has cupid's dart/catananche and some platycodon, but really doesn't do much after june.
    {{gwi:1210088}}
    -----------------------------------

• lady_gouldian
    18 years ago

I've really enjoyed the pictures on rodkneej's web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: rodkneej's web site

• nrynes
    18 years ago

My xeric garden is still young, but here are some pics of individual plants...I can post more pics in the coming weeks as things start to look better:

Penstemon virens and Penstemon secundiflorus...

P. secundiflorus...

Not totally "Xeric", but survives fine on no supplemental water here at 7500ft...Austrian Copper rose...

Penstemon strictus...

Penstemon eatonii...

Nancy

• wynative
    18 years ago

Nancy,
    Where did you find your Copper rose's? They are beautiful. Do they spread? give seeds or bulbs/tubers? If so, are you willing to share? :)

Marie

• amester
    18 years ago

Finally! Thanks for your patience, Bombus - this is my first time posting pix, hope it works! I love this combo, may night salvia + artemisia + pink twinspur:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b177/Amester44/th_trio_clsup.jpg

Here's my penstemon - love it!!

http://photobucket.com/albums/b177/Amester44/th_penst1.jpg

And this is my penstemon next to my oenothra macrocarpa:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b177/Amester44/th_penst_clsup.jpg

Please let me know if you can't see these and I'll try something else!

• MusicMom
    18 years ago

Amester,

(I have a daughter named Amy and we call her that too!) You need to put html tags in front of your URLs to get them to show up. Photobucket has three different URLs you can copy--use the "Tag" URL (2nd one down) and your pix will show up here. :)

Very pretty penstemon!

• amester
    18 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to check back! I appreciate the tips, MusicMom, and I'm glad your Amy and I share a nickname. :) Hope these help, Bombus, I'll try to get more but the heat's taking it's toll and it's shearing-back time!

May Night salvia, Silvermound artemisia, twinspur:

Same plants, different view:

Penstemon plant:

Penstemon closeup w/oenothera macrocarpa: