Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What on earth is this flower with pink hair?

Posted by shmon (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 22, 09 at 18:13

Late last fall/early winter I bought a house that has what once was a beautiful cottage garden but was mostly neglected for 3 years. If you want to see how well perennials can reseed themselves over a 3 year span, just come to my front yard :)

It's been really fun to identify what pops up now that things are in bloom. Most are easy to figure out...except one. We call it the rock star plant because it's got spiky pink hair! The furry strands are actually pretty stiff; the plant is about knee-high.

Can anyone help me identify it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What on earth is this flower with pink hair?

Is it Apache Plume?

Here is a link that might be useful: HCG Apache Plume

o

I totally think it is Apache Plume, too!

Very cute.

o

I think that's exactly it!! Thank you!!

o

Hmmm ... to me it looks like Geum triflorum.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Images of Geum triflorum (Prairie Smoke)

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 17:31

Geum was the first thing I thought of too, Bonnie, but before I could get back to answer, the question seemed to have been answered--and I'm not familiar with Apache Plume! You should be able to tell which one it is, Shmon, by the height. The Geum is only about a foot tall. The Apache Plume would probably be over 3' tall.

I'm really curious now, so let us know which it is when you have time.

Welcome to RMG,
Skybird

o

Geum - prairie smoke - is a little grass-like thing. Fallugia - Apache plume - is a shrub commonly 3-6 ft tall. Castlewood Canyon east of Castle Rock has a nice show of prairie smoke.

Dan

o

Hmm, the plot thickens. The one Fallugia picture on the HCG site looked a lot like what's in the yard, but the other picture of the shrubbery did not. My plant definitely is not shrubby like the Fallugia - it's more sparse and grass-like, like the Geum. I'd guess it to be around 2-3 feet tall; most of the flowers are about knee height or a little taller. I looked more at the picture of the flower than the description of the plant - I think I might have jumped the gun a little :)

The flowers are definitely more pinkish than the red and white that is in the Fallugia pictures. Also, the leaves are dead ringers for the pictures I saw of Prairie Smoke's leaves.

Again, I appreciate the help!

o

I'm no help with identification, but this was the first thing I thought of...

Here is a link that might be useful: anybody else think the same thing?

o

Dafy, you're daffy!

;-)
Skybird

P.S. Where's his(?) green helmet! (inside joke!)

o

too much work and not enough play make Dafy daffier :-)

I spent last weekend digging out further from the tree to expand the planting space and hatcheting out roots - my arms are still aching, but I finally managed to use all of the bricks I took from my neighbors when they ripped out their patio and replaced it with concrete. I'll post a pic eventually on the gardens thread.

I'm still on the lookout for a "real" green helmet for you Skybird!

Dafy

o

This is Apache Plume for sure! I just bought one and read that it can reach 4' to 6' high and wide! Does anyone know how long it takes to grow to a mature plant? Thanks in advance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here