Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knz777

Surprise seedlings. Related to Buffalo Grass?

knz777
14 years ago

Hi, new gardener here. We decided to get rid of the worst patch of front lawn and replace it with a garden-in-a-box from High Country Gardens. (The Western Prairie garden). The location is east-facing and is in full sun until late afternoon. In Denver.

Sprayed RoundUp, waited a few days, then rototilled and removed the big chunks of grass and weeds. Planted a week later. Mulched as directed.

The garden included plugs of Buffalo Grass and Blue Grama Grass. We planted them in staggered clumps, as indicated on the instructions.

Now, a week later (after a fair amount of surprising rain), there are hundreds of tiny greyish-green seedlings coming up, but only in those areas with the Buffalo Grass.

Is this how Buffalo Grass spreads, and so I shouldn't be concerned? Haven't planted it before, so I don't know what to expect. I'm surprised, because in the week between tilling and planting, we didn't have anything come up (though it was pretty dry then, and we weren't in town to water). If it's not Buffalo Grass, I don't know where these came from!

I'll post a photo later today, but wanted to get this question out there.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (2)