Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garnergarden

Spinach Bolting

garnergarden
9 years ago

My spinach has turned into a hot mess and keeps trying to flower. The plants are still pretty young and I'd like them to keep going if possible. I've pinched of the flowers twice now and I'm thinking resistance may be futile.

It's all planted in a large sized container with lettuce and broccoli. They all seem fine except the spinach. It looked awesome up until the heat hit, of course. I guess we should have just ate it as baby spinach. Lesson learned lol.

The container only gets direct morning sun and is out of the afternoon "super sun". I keep watered well also.

Anything else I can do or should I pull them, have a salad, and plant something else? Thanks.

Comments (6)

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Resistance is indeed futile. It is likely too bitter to eat by now, but you can certainly try. One way to deal with bitter spinach is to blanch it in boiling water, drain, and then braise it in some white wine.

• garnergarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the follow up. So, I guess in my 5 zone I should stick to planting it for a fall crop then lol. Teaches me to bring home plants before doing the full research for my area lol. Take care... more lettuce ahoy!

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Yeah, spinach is really tricky as a spring crop even in the far north because daylight is a trigger as much as heat is. So even if northern areas are cool in spring, the long days trigger bolting anyway.
    You can grow spring spinach if you direct-seed it as soon as the soil is workable and harvest it baby-sized. Fall spinach, however, is superior.

• digit
    9 years ago

Spinach is a tough choice for areas without a great deal of "spinach weather." To think, several generations grew up imagining that they would have forearms like Popeye or the obvious attractiveness of Olive Oil, despite her looks and that voice! All they would need to do is eat their spinach.

Then, here is this leafy green that bolts without provocation, burns on a spring day and is generally useless outside of a few moments in its otherwise fragile existence. I try to remember to sow seed in late fall for an early spring crop. Apparently, one thing spinach can do is maintain a sort of cold weather hibernation. In other words, it is good at doing nothing for months on end.

I will plant "perpetual spinach," today. It isn't really a spinach but related to chard. I'm late with this but have had plenty of greens for the kitchen, yes, including some spinach. The perpetual spinach will follow the bok choy, mustard greens and lettuce that was growing under plastic. I took the plastic film off yesterday. Now, it is time for a green that should be able to take some summer heat! It joins beet greens and 3 varieties of kale that are already in the garden. Take that, Popeye!

Steve

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

Ditto what Steve says. If you can remember to do it, plant spinach in mid-September. It shoots down a tap root and stays green much of the winter, might get a bit crispy around the edges when the temps are down in the teen and there is no snow cover.

When march rolls around, fertilize with high nitrogen fertilizer, keep it moist, and you'll be picking more spinach than you can deal with in late April / early May.

• NBM81
    9 years ago

Once the heat hit, I placed my spinach container in mostly shade and it did well until about June 20. I thought it a bit early, too, but some of my coworkers' spinach had bolted much earlier. A tricky crop in containers, but man is it good while it lasts.

Off topic slightly, but my cilantro bolted ridiculously fast this year, too, which took me by surprise. I had it through early July last year with no problems.