Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

2nd report on fluid seeding

digit
16 years ago

Here are the results of my most recent efforts with fluid seeding (an earlier report is linked below). You may recall that Jaliranchr introduced this idea last Fall. (Shelley, how are your carrots?!?)

Then Luckybottom told of her experience in her square foot garden using a gel made from 1T cornstarch in 1 cup of water, boiled and then allowed to cool. Bonnie applied this gel to a thin paper towel, sprinkled on the carrot seeds and arranged them with a chop stick. She then placed the paper towel "in the prepared bed, covered lightly with topsoil and keep moist till germination." By day 20 she could show us her success. Bonnie suggested that I try this and I promptly did.

This thin row of seedlings between the brick and the camera is evidence of my effort, thanks Bonnie! (The taller carrots in the background were planted many weeks earlier using more conventional methods.) Of the 8 photoÂs I took, this was the only one that anyone would have had any reasonable ability to see the carrot seedlings.

I pulled a paper towel apart so as to use a single ply then cut it into strips, applied the gel and then the seeds. The combination went into the soil on June 13th so this is at day 14.

Not wanting to leave well enuf alone, I also tried just applying a "bead" of gel directly in the soil and shook seed onto the bead. The germination seems to be about the same! Therefore, I planted more carrot seed today using that method.

I have planted pelleted carrot seed thru June before with some success. The clay coating apparently holds moisture and enables these slow-sprouting seeds to germinate as our soil heats up and dries out at this time of year. However, pelleted seed failed the one time I tried it in July  I felt that IÂd reached the limits of the technique.

IÂm not sure how these plants will grow as we move into some very warm weather but IÂve got my fingers crossed (darn gel sticks to everything ;o)!

diiigggiiitSÂ

Here is a link that might be useful: 1st report on fluid seeding

Comments (4)