Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Severe Storms

digit
9 years ago

We had a little hail damage the other day.

However, what is going on in some parts of NE Colorado right now looks like "a little" may not be a good modifier.

This isn't another garden season ending event, is it? I am thinking especially of Jaliranchr !

Steve

Comments (6)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

I've been thinking of Jali too, Digit!

Jali, if you see this, please tell us, how is your garden growing?

Skybird

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

Yes, please do Jali! It has been a rough year for you folks out there, I know the hail we have gotten here right at the base of the foothills, I can't imagine what it must be like out there. I hope everything is okay! It sure would be nice if we could rain WITHOUT the ice cube shrapnel!

• jaliranchr
    9 years ago

Hello! Sorry, been a bit busy of late. Thanks for the concern, RMG friends. It isn't nearly as bad as the media tried to make it sound. Kind of routine from our point of view, actually.

Unfortunately, the worst is that a lot of wheat crops are gone. It looked to be a great year, but not anymore.

We had a dandy on Saturday afternoon. Another Sunday at midnight that brought me out of bed faster than I've moved in ages. Then the series of storms Wednesday night. The neighboring town of Hugo took the brunt, but we got very strong straight-line winds and quarter sized hail. Damage is minimal, thankfully. Broken windows and such, but that's the norm.

Heck the Black Dragon lily has buds and they are all still there! The tomatoes are in the shed. I haven't had a chance to plant them, so that heartbreak has been spared. We will see what the forecasted storms bring today. We welcome the 1.5" of moisture we've gotten in the last week, but the other stuff can just stay up in those clouds.

Not a good day to threaten us again, Ma Nature, this is the anniversary of the tornado.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Glad to hear you're pretty much ok so far, Jali, and really glad to hear your tomatoes are still well cloistered! With the news on TV I was starting to picture them like they were in the pictures you posted one time after hail--totally bashed down into the soil!

The only thing on TV for the last couple hours here in Denver is TORNADOS! This would NOT be a good day to be driving out on I-76!!! But I just updated radar and it looks like you have a pretty good cell moving out Limon way right now. Looks like the worst is north of Limon, and I hope that's right and that this one doesn't get you either. Denver "appears" to be mostly "safe" today, but there's still stuff building over the foothills that could possibly come down to bite us! My tomatoes aren't in the ground yet either! Still haven't finished turning over the tomato soil where they'll be planted, so at least I don't have to worry about them! But, aside from a very occasional few drops, no precip at all so far right here by me!

Ma Nature must have a pretty good memory, Jali! I've lost count of how many tornados have been reported on the ground so far today, and I know there were at least EIGHT tornado warnings in effect at one time, 'cause one of the weather guys said so!

Fingers crossed that it all starts to die down soon,
    Skybird

• jaliranchr
    9 years ago

Lots of tornado warnings is right, Skybird. Wow! I am friends with a tornado chaser out of Golden. He was out here yesterday and he stayed around Castle Rock today. He is disappointed, but we are thrilled. But I'm glad professionals like him are out there to observe, inform, and warn the rest of us.

More rain this afternoon bringing our total to 1.8" since last Saturday. Early June always has some storms, but this much precipitation usually waits until the monsoons hit.

Hoping everyone stays safe and the gardens are spared!
    Jali

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

And I complain about late freezesâ¦..