Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singcharlene

Fall Swap '11

singcharlene
12 years ago

Hi all,

Sounds like the spring swap was a big success! I was so sad to not make it! I especially miss those tomato plants I get every year! Had a nasty flu-like virus.

I don't know if the fall swap has already been discussed somewhere? I would love to host if no one's set on it. I am not as detailed or organized as Skybird, for sure, but I've got lots of room! I live in Castle Rock for those that haven't been to a previous swap at my house.

Let me know your thoughts, or if someone has already stepped forward!

Charlene

Comments (34)

• gjmancini
    12 years ago

Charlene, we missed you at the spring swap. I always look forward to attending swaps at your home, its always so fun, lots of space and so beautiful.

Gloria

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Fall swaps are harder for me to make, between the school activities/sports, and putting up the harvest, but I'd love to come if there aren't any schedule conflicts.

Bonnie

• sorie6 zone 6b
    12 years ago

I'd come if it's not the 16 or 17 of Oct.
    I had a great time at the spring swap and learned lots, got neat plants. I'm going to start potting up plants soon!! I didn't know how you folks did the swap and bringing so many plants. I was great.

• singcharlene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Gloria. :)

Bonnie, I know how that goes!

Sori~We have always had the fall swap sometime in September.

Maybe Skybird will chime in and we'll see when she's going on her vacation and try to have it before that!

Charlene

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Hoping I can make it this year and DH wants to come OMG. I guess he had fun at the spring swap. Let me know when and if it works between my work schedules and the kids school/sports I will be there.

Castle Rock sounds great! Thanks Charlene

Billie

• gjmancini
    12 years ago

So Char are we going to have the swap at your house? Can we start discussing dates. I really want to attend, but will be in Europe 9-10/9-24th. What dates have we done in the past. Are we up for a later September day, say the 25th?:) Labor day weekend may not be ideal for alot of folks, but lets start putting the word out.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

Hi all,

Sorry I took so long to get over here to post! I absolutely, positively HAD to get the rest of my veggies into the ground! Got the tomatoes in a little over a week ago, and finally got the rest of the soil turned over and got the squash in the ground on Sunday! Then I spent the last few days finalizing cabin reservations for my vacation--before the places I wanted were all booked full!

Depending on what date you guys pick, I may not be able to come to this one again! I'm leaving a good week earlier than I usually do--so Wetherill Mesa/Long House at Mesa Verde will still be open so I can finally get to see that area! Leaving on August 31, and plan to be back home late on September 16. That covers all the dates past Fall Swaps have been on, but if you do decide to do it later, like gjmancini suggested, I'll be there with bells on!!! I'm kind of assuming nobody wants to have it as early as August--especially since the Spring Swap was a little later than usual this year!

You all decide when you want to have it, and if I'm here, I'll be there!

If it's after I get home, I'll need to find somebody to take care of my plants while I'm gone--would just be a matter of picking them up and watering them (tho I MAY have a neighbor who can water them), and if you have it while I'm gone I'll need to find somebody to come get them before I leave to get them to the swap. It's not gonna be almost 400 plants this time--but I am already seeing some stuff I can start potting up in about a month. Have some seedlings that I THINK I know what they are, but not absolutely positive yet---but if I'm right I'm sure people will want them! Have one hollyhock seedling (how many more years are these things going to keep coming up after getting rid of the big plants three years ago???) potted up already that I had to dig up to put in one of my basils. And have a seedling of something else potted up already that I know somebody is gonna want--but I'm not saying what it is yet!!!

So you all pick a date and I'll work out the appropriate arrangements, depending on which date you wind up with!

Skybird

• gjmancini
    12 years ago

Suggestions for dates for the fall swap??????? Im proposing Labor day weekend, 9-25 or 10-1.

Gloria

• singcharlene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay...we've been out of town.

How about Sunday, September 18th, at 11am in Castle Rock?

If that sounds good, then I'll start a new swap thread with the date and times. I have a group email list from past swaps. I can send out an email with those names and you just reply back to me.

Looking forward to it!

Charlene

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Was hoping for a Saturday this time around ...

• gjmancini
    12 years ago

How about October 1st. Thats on a Saturday. (see above) I cant make the 18th Ill be out of town.

• singcharlene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I had a tentative concert planned on October 1st but we booked it firm for October 7th instead.

So....October 1st for the swap is good with me! 11am?

:)
    Charlene

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

I'll be there!

:-)
    Skybird

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago

Sounds great! Charlene, thank you for hosting. I'll be there as well.

Barb

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Okay, October 1 it is. I don't think I am going to hold the rhubarb plants that long, but I will find some experiments that need homes I'm sure. Hey I might be able to get rid of some more 1 gal pots. I guess it is time to put the thinking cap on. See you then.

Billie

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

Count me in!

• mayberrygardener
    12 years ago

October 1 at Charlene's it is, and I'll be there! And I might have an item or two to swap, even! I'm certain I'll have at least veggie seeds for those winter- and greenhouse-sowers on the forum!
    I SHOULD have (if they survive) one or two sedums called "old man bones" (at least, I think it's a sedum... I'll get confirmation of that before the swap), and maybe another one or two, depending upon if they root or rot, oh, the difference an O makes! (HEE HEE)
    And won't it be lovely to see Charlene again--I've missed you the last couple years!

• amester
    12 years ago

Count me in!
    I'll start being on the lookout for swap items. Thanks, Charlene, for hosting - I can't wait to see your garden. :)

• woliver
    12 years ago

I made it to the spring swap and loved it and would love to come to the fall swap, especially since it's a south (I'm in Monument).

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

I might be canceling on this. There is a possibility (very real actually) that I am going to have to go to Grand Junction to work that weekend. Let you know for sure when I do.

B

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

I have invitations to two weddings that day, so it looks like I'll miss another swap ... sigh.

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Depends on how much you really like the people getting married
    LOL

Billie

• ziggro
    12 years ago

There will be other weddings...:)

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Well, Billie, one of them is my youngest niece, and I'm pretty fond of her, and I certainly hope this is the only wedding these two couples will ever have : )

• mayberrygardener
    12 years ago

So, what kinds of plants get swapped in the fall? I may have a few things, but I don't know if the fall is the best time to dig and transplant some of these... Also, I would LOVE some peony splits if anyone has an abundance!

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago

Mayberry,
    If memory serves, daylily, crocosmia, iris, ajuga, sedums, campanula, etc. Any perennials, bulbs, seeds, you name it! Lawn art, pots, gardening books and tools you're done with. Bring whatever you have too much of.
    If you're going to divide something you should do it soon so it has a decent root system in time for the swap, or let people know it's recently transplanted. We feel bad when we kill swap plants. ;o)

Barb

• amester
    12 years ago

Hey all!
    As always, I'll have lots of valerian (centranthus ruber), yellow columbine, "May Night" salvia, white-flowered yarrow and at least a few "Walker's Low" catmint (nepeta faassenii), possibly a few daylilies...? (This heat has knackered them but good!) I can also do raspberry plants if anyone's interested. They fruited for almost 8 weeks this year thanks to that great spring rain!
    I'll poke around more next week - I'm sure there are a few surprises out there as well. :)

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Highalttransplant - sounds like it will be a wedding worth going to. Hope you have fun and best wishes to the new couples.
    Don't know what I will be doing on the 1st, but Castle Rock will not be one of them, sorry guys. It's either Grand Junction (work) or Arickeree (high school football).

Billie

• flower_garden
    12 years ago

Hey Amy,

I know this isn't the official who wants/has what post, but if possible I'd like to get some valerian, yarrow, and another raspberry from you :). The raspberry you gave me last year is doing great (thanks!), but is not to the "spreading" stage yet.

I'm planning to bring "Goblin" blanketflower, red oriental poppies, and lemon balm. Looking forward to it!

Trish

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

We'll be there if at all possible! We have a major event we may not be able to miss. It doesn't have a firm date yet, but October 1 has been mentioned. If so, the conflict is in the morning, so we might still be able to come. I hope so!

• amester
    12 years ago

Trish - got it, let me know if you need anything else. I'd love a "Goblin" and a poppy. How aggressive is the lemon balm in your yard?
    Polygonum - my husband wants the valerian and the sedum I have to go away. I have large plants of both. If you still have a lot of yard to fill you're welcome to come get anything you can haul away (I just don't have the 'oomph' to dig it all up myself!).
    Hooray for cooler weather!
    Amy

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

Amy, I'd love to come by someday and dig up a bunch of starts! I'll e-mail you offlist to arrange a good time. We are already planting things shared in previous plant swaps and also things shared by my non-forum friends. Hopefully everything will spread enough for me to have starts for people next year.

We will probably bring some houseplant starts and maybe some seedlings.

• flower_garden
    12 years ago

Amy - I'll put your name on a blanketflower and a poppy. The lemon balm hasn't been too aggressive, maybe because I don't water it :). It is getting bigger and bigger, but seems easily controlled (so far) by digging out pieces around the edges. Just let me know if you want some.

Trish

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

If you have more poppies or blanketflowers, I'd like some, please. I don't know if my daughter will want any lemon balm. I'll let her ask you if she's interested.

Thank you!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?