Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjmancini

So much for my garden....

gjmancini
13 years ago

2 days in a row of hail, all the leaves are stripped from all my plants. Devastating.

Gloria (Westminster, Co)

Comments (11)

• sorie6 zone 6b
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear it. WE got it too.

• colokid
    13 years ago

Oh No! not again.
    I am sure it got others of you again too.
    I watched on radar as it went NE of Denver again.
    I know the feeling quite well as a retired farmer. Father and I lost our entire years crop 3 years in a row once.
    I have extra tomato plants here in Kersey if that could help any one.
    Kenny

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I still have one determinate Better Bush hanging on, for just this very thing.

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Watched the Denver news last night, and thought 'whoa boy'.

So this Sat morning at 7:00 am, we got a cloud burst, and then that tell-tale 'whap whap' of hail. Luckily, it didn't last long enough to do any harm. But we have a weekend of this coming up.

I still have a couple dozen tomato plants indoors, just in case.

• col_sprg_maters
    13 years ago

I have a spare Lemon boy and maybe a Bush Early girl in big pots if any one in Colo springs got hit hard.

d

• xaroline
    13 years ago

That is so disappointing. It hasn't happened here this year , but it sometimes happens.

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

We got just enough hail to put a dozen holes in every singe squash and cucumber leaf.

• singcharlene
    13 years ago

My sympathies, Gloria :( That has happened to me before and it is disheartening.

We did get some hail but it wasn't very big this time around and didn't do any damage.

You'd be surprised what comes back to life. I think someone on this forum recommended that I fertilize with fish/kelp fertilizer and it did help and some of my stuff came back.

Good luck!

Charlene

• autodidact
    13 years ago

That's so awful!

• jnfr
    13 years ago

Gloria I am also in Westminster, but didn't get hit. I am so sorry to hear this about your garden. Hopefully you still have time to replant.

No more hail! We've had too much the past few years.

• easternco_gardener
    13 years ago

I'm right there with you. Strasburg (the half of the town north of I-70) was slammed by hail on the 11th. In addition ot the damaged roof, siding, windows, gutters and other structural mayhem, the hail destroyed my garden. It was just starting to look decent, after two months of non-stop work trying to get something to grow despite the 45mph winds and constant cold temps we've had. The peonies were getting ready to flower, I'd finally managed to grow a crop of radishes and spinach, the rhubarb had finally gotten to the point I could full a few stalks for pie and I could see a few tiny apples and pears starting to form on the trees in the orchard.

Now the place looks as if a bomb went off and took anything green with it. All of the trees on the property have damage, half of their leaves and all of the fruit on the orchard trees is gone. The grapes, which had FINALLY started to grow new leaves on the vines were stripped of almost all leaves. I saved what radishes were ready for harvest but anything sticking out above ground looked as if it had been through a blender. All of the tomato and pepper plants were destroyed, as were the cuke, watermelon, cantaloupe and other seedlings I'd worked so hard to grow in the front window. The green bean plants were flattened, as was the kohlarabi, cabbage and peas. I won't even go into what the hail did to the flower garden - the roses were knocked back down to the roots and all new growth stripped of leaves.

Thankfully, all of my herbs are in pots and were under the pergola. Otherwise, I'd have lost them as well. The hail came in from the NW and the flower pots on the front porch ended up with four inches of accumulated ice in them, killing the annuals I'd planted. Any exposed plant was toast, as I can still see the divots the hail made in the ground on the property out back.

The weather this year has been positively unholy as far as gardening is concerned. I'm sorry your garden was ruined as well - I'm trying to replant and save what I can in the hopes that maybe I might get fruit or flowers next year rather than this. But I'm pretty discouraged about wanting to spend more money and replant when this insane climate can just ruin it with another round of hail.