Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Admitting Defeat

highalttransplant
12 years ago

So the first year I grew tomatoes from seed, I started half indoors in a sunny window, and wintersowed the rest. The wintersown plants were much smaller when everything got planted out, but eventually caught up, and produced ripe tomatoes at the same time as the indoor started plants. The next two years, I wintersowed everything and had the plants in the ground by Memorial Day. This year, germination was a good three weeks later than previous years, and the plants are just now getting their first set of true leaves.

Getting concerned there would be no homemade salsa this year, I planted some of the tiny sprouts out this week, in hopes they would take off once they were in the ground. We had a couple of days in the mid-80's, no clouds, and wind gusts up to 45 mph. Half of the sprouts disintegrated, the rest were alive, but very sad looking. So today I made a trip to the local nursery to see what they had left. It was hard to admit defeat ...

The good news is that I brought a jar of homemade ground cherry jam with me, since this is the place that got me hooked on them, and they didn't even charge me for the plants I picked up. Of course, these aren't the varieties I was growing before, but most are heirlooms, and I was able to get a nice variety.

Still have quite a few tomato sprouts, but I'm tempted to just buy more plants, and just go back to starting them indoors again, but that would mean giving up some of the space I use for peppers. Tough call!

Bonnie

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner