Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorie6

hail!!

sorie6 zone 6b
13 years ago

Well we got hail! How many of the rest of you got it? My east side was protected thank goodness. It's been a while since we got hail this bad. Hope you folks didn't get slammed to bad.

Comments (12)

• col_sprg_maters
    13 years ago

Me too! Colorado springs NE side.

We raced home from only 1/2 mile away, pulled 30 containers to safety while the hail came down.

We shall see how they and the 8 in the ground came thru come morning.

later

D

• gjmancini
    13 years ago

Not good. Not good at all. Everything is flattend and leaves stripped off. This crazy Colorado wheater.....

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

We got some here too, around 5 am, sounded like the roof was coming down. Fortunately, no damage here at the house, and DH's truck is fine, but the plants at the community garden took a beating. Lots of leaves striped off. Hopefully, everything will recover, but it will set things back a bit.

Storms are forecast to continue off and on today. I just hope the worst is over.

Bonnie

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

My favorite is when they bust out the snow plows to clear the hail.

Many plants will recover - not all - and will bear fruit. Definitely will be set back several weeks. My peppers, tomatillos, and tomatoes are still recovering from the wind, so we're all in the same boat this year. Waiting for the next defoliating event.

Dan

• col_sprg_maters
    13 years ago

Bonnie;

What is DH?

Darling Husband
    Dearest Heartthrob
    Damn Hamstring
    Durango Honey
    Denver Hoopla

maybe
    DH Lawrence?

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Well, traditionally DH, stands for Dear Husband, but Darling would work, as well as a few other adjectives : ) Actually, we are celebrating 23 years of marriage this week, so I'll have to admit he's pretty Dear to me.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We got water in our basement too.
    highaltransplant congrats on 23 yr. We will celebrate 37 yr. on June 28th.
    Hope everyones garden comes back. Our cherry tree had the net on it so I think it was partly protected. Boy the bird aren't happy!!

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Usu. I'm referred to as the DAH, but who's keeping track? ;o)

Dan

• elkwc
    13 years ago

We finally got some rain this morning. Missed the hail. Had hail around us yesterday afternoon. Afraid it harvested some of the wheat. I feel for any farmers who lost a crop that was within 7-14 days of being in the bin.

Like Dan said most plants will recover. Does set them back. This early there is still time anyway here for most to recover and produce some. I've been nervous with all the hail around us and we have been a few years since a bad one. I just knock on wood.

I've had some plants beat up pretty good by the wind. I put cages on a few a little early and they can move around in them and the wind has beat them against the cages. And shredded leaves and broke a few stems. Overall a better year than the past 2 so far. Hope the weather lines out some and everyone has a good gardening year. Jay

• colokid
    13 years ago

My tomatoes look pretty good. Have them in cages now and they seem to stand the amount of wind I have received.
    One and a half yesterday and one inch this morning rain measurment.
    I admire those of you with a DW or DH. But since I am single and old I guess I would be an OF.
    Kenny

• gjmancini
    13 years ago

Still raining here in Westminster, ran out in the ran to check my plants, besides the leaves being gone, half of the stems are broken. Waiting for the sun to break.

• col_sprg_maters
    13 years ago

DH.... Its Baseball season.. DH is Designated Hitter