Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

down to the last of the radish

digit
12 years ago

What to do when you are down to the last of the radish (last of the green onions from sets, as well):

{{gwi:1211001}}

Begin harvesting the kohlrabi! (Since kohlrabi is kind of homely, I included the neighbor's strawberries in the picture. Hey! She handed them to me!):

{{gwi:1211002}}

Steve

Comments (5)

• steviewonder
    12 years ago

Eat the radish while grilling the scallion with a little ribeye cut up and marinated with Italian dressing. Can you tell I haven't had supper yet?

By the way, how do you get your scallions to turn into scallions? Mine always look like chives and never get bigger. I'm growing them in a container.

Steviewonder

• jclepine
    12 years ago

I'm not sure how Steve get his scallions to turn into scallions but I...

My bunching onions from last year were only like thick chives. This year, they are like real scallions! I let some over winter and that must have done the trick.

My container chives, also over-winterers, just seem to stay chives. Not sure if that is because they are in containers or if it is because they are labeled as chives.

I'm curious to see what Steve says!

Jennifer

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Scallions? I kept looking at those words . . . was one mispelled stallions?

No, just scallions and so just regular green onions . . . Sets? I always feel like someone else grew them for me. Just allow them enuf room and they pretty much grow. I've left a few that got away from me to be storage onions. They always seem to be good winter keepers.

As I said on that "Sweets" thread: growing onions is just a matter of not allowing weeds to crowd them, giving them plenty of water and a nitrogen-rich fertilizer. I don't know what their nutritional value is. I hope it is fairly high even tho' they must be mostly water, of course.

I'm really terrible at growing things in containers. It becomes a soil moisture problem so easily. Also, I suppose, the soil nutrients get washed away. I was out yesterday in the open garden applying more fertilizer to the onions. They do appreciate the care and feeding.

Steve

• steviewonder
    12 years ago

Well then I guess I'll make some room for a few of them green onions in the ground next spring. (Them's scallions over here east of the Divide.)

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is something else, I'm down to, the last of the bok choy:

{{gwi:389623}}

Harvest started in late April and this is back in what was the tunnel (plastic now off) where there was a 2nd sowing of seed. These were "thinned" once with plants moved off to another bed. Those matured quickly having more room for growth.

The picture was taken Thursday before a major harvesting. I figure I've got 10 days at best before those remaining will bolt. Altho' I love those flowering stalks for the kitchen, their value will be lost very quickly as the flowers open.

Bok choy is temperamental regarding conditions but that just means I have to sow seed often, here and there. Usually they won't tolerate so much crowding but they must have been happy.

Soon . . . it will be time to plant more bok choy seed for the fall garden ;o)! For right now, with 2 1/2 months of bok choy harvest, it is wonderful that moving on to baby beets will be seamless :o).

Steve