Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Fall Swap!

Well, Im posting this before I had planned to, but this will give everybody plenty of time to plan for the Fall Swap.

The Fall Swap will be on Saturday, September 8th. Time to be determined, but probably noonish again. So mark it on your calendar and start thinking about what you might have to bring. HOWEVER, this is the same as the Spring Swap! If you feel like you canÂt come because you donÂt have anything to bring, youÂre wrong! Bring your gardenerÂs smileÂand dirty hands! If you have a lot of stuff, come! If you only have a couple things, come! And if you donÂt have anything, come! IÂm sure, like at the Spring Swap, there will be plenty to go around!

IÂm located in Thornton, near 120th and Colorado Blvd. Very easy access from I25 at 120th from the south, and 136th from the north.

The reason IÂm posting this so early is that I got an email from Olegreymare yesterday! She contacted everyone who had been to past swaps to say she was going to have another one this fall. I emailed to let her know we had had a spring one and had tentative plans for a fall one at my house, and that suited her well since sheÂs going to be extremely busy in August.

Then, when I started thinking about it and wishing IÂd be able to come up with a date sooner than the end of the month before, it suddenly dawned on me that September is when I take my vacation, so I CAN come up with a date already. The date I picked is early in September, so hopefully the weather will still be good, and itÂs at the beginning of my vacation so I still have time to take off for the hills or somewhere after the swap. Best of all worlds!

Olegreymare has already had responses from a dozen people who are interested, so, with all of us here too, this one is going to be bigger than the spring one. (Name badges mandatory at this one!) As I get information, IÂll pass it along here. IÂve asked her to email her interested people to let them know weÂll be posting information here, so you may see some new names showing up. IÂll bump the post up every now and then to keep it easily available.

I had already been planning to do the demonstration showing how to propagate from cuttings, and now thereÂs a possibility that we may have a compost demonstration and a presentation with some tips on growing daylilies too. Something for everyone!

I was thinking of just having people bring finger foods, but if youÂd like to do a wide open pot luck, let me know. Now is the time to make your opinions known! IÂll provide plates, silverware, and beverages, whichever way we go.

Any and all ideas are welcome!

If youÂre interested in coming, let me knowÂIÂll start keeping a list already. And if you have any ideas or questions, let me know too. Since PMÂs donÂt work for me here, if you want to contact me personally for any reason, email me at: SkybirdDEN@gmail.com Be sure you put something like RMG - Fall Swap in the subject to be sure I donÂt make a Spam sandwich out of it! Yum!

Hope to see everybody who was at the Spring Swap-----and a WHOLE BUNCH more!

Skybird

Comments (108)

• catladysgarden
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey Olegreymare, I negotiated a swap of days off, so I'll be able to attend. I am interested in the hostas that were listed. I'll be bringing daylilies, of course.

• olgreymare
    16 years ago

Hello

September 8 fasts approaches.

HEre's an update for you.

To those of you offering hostas, keep Karen and DiAnna in mind. To those of you who have heucheras and sedums, keep Karen in mind.

Maria is bringing bell flowers, not balloon flowers.

Karen will be bringing daylilies and possibly datura. Nedra will be brining black-eyed Susans.

KEEP ON POTTING!

OLGREYMARE

• amester
    16 years ago

Hi, checking back in, sounds like this is really shaping up!

For anyone who wants to do named daylilies (this means you, KSPlanter - I'd love some Prairie Blue Eyes and would be happy to swap lists) my email is amester44@yahoo.com.

Shadyplaces - I would love a Lime Rickey and Cancan heuchera, also a Golden Tiara hosta if you are earmarking. What do I need to do to get a Stained Glass? :)

Charlene, I am bringing TONS of xeric stuff, how much do you need? I have piles of agastache rupestris and oenothera macrocarpa, plus some penstemon, catmint, etc. - give me counts and I'll earmark for you! (I'll bring plenty of spares too for other people, no worries.)

Olgreymare - I have you down for penstemon. I forgot that I also have Persian Market and Dorothy Lambert for pink daylilies but they just went in the ground about six weeks ago - again, maybe not enough for this fall but next spring for sure.

I'd love rose mallow, bloody cranesbill and virgina creeper if there's enough to go around.

Oh, my head, if I even get half of the things I'm hoping for I will be one happy chick! (And that's my new nickname - I have downy-chick fuzz coming in on the cranium, hooray!!)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Chick....uh...... Fuzzy......uh..........I mean Amy,

Seriously, glad to hear your hair is starting to grow back in. Im gonna take a wild guess and say youre pretty happy too!

I was just checking back over some of the posts, and saw that you never got a reply about how to bring lilacs to the swap for Lindyloo. Im not sure if I can help or not. The few times Ive tried to start things from hardwood cuttings, Ive never had any luck, but if there are any suckers coming up around your lilac bush, you can just dig it/them up, keeping any/as many roots on the sucker as possible and pot it up. Id also recommend cutting the top down to 6 or 8". If there arent any suckers, I cant really help with lilacs.

Nedra from Olegreymares list is bringing the Geranium s., and Ive emailed her asking her to reserve one for you.

I also emailed Olegreymare and asked her to let the people bringing the Lavatera and Virginia creeper know that youre interested in them. I dont know whos planning to bring those.

I had never heard of L. trimestris, so I googled it, and do you know its an annual? I assume the person is bringing seed, but I dont know if thats right or not. It sure is pretty! :-)

Ill be glad to finally get to meet you,
    Skybird

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

Amy--yay for fuzzies! Oh my gosh, it's hard to say counts of what I want as I have so much space to fill! Everything you mentioned sounded great and if you could mark a few of what you have for me I'll be a happy chick!

Thank you and also looking forward to meeting you!
    Charlene

• JMBinSteamboat
    16 years ago

Hello everyone,

Ijust moved back to Denver from Steamboat (guess I will have to change my login name) and feel like I am in the tropics - weatherwise and gardening wise. I bought a house in Lakewood owned by older couple, she is a gardener and there are some perennials (I know what most of them are..). Some of them are really overgrown and need dividing. so I will be bringing some. Will list them once I move in. Will be looking to swap for some of my old favorites but also am always looking to try something new. Looking forward to the swap and meeting some other gardeners!

Julia

PS THanks Slybird for posting - and hosting! When is comes closer to 9/8 can you post a new thread with all the important detials? It takes a long time to read all these posts!

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Julia,

Im glad to be able to add you to the Swap List! I need your email address so Ill be able to send you my address and directions when we get closer. Inbound PMs dont work for me here, so please send it to me at:
    SkybirdDEN@gmail.com.
    Ill reply from my "real" address so you can be sure its in you address book so my emails wont go to your spam box when I email info about the swap.

I can hardly believe it, but I already have 16 people on the list from RMG, and theres 26 more on Olegreymares list. Even if only half of them are able to show up, thats 21 people, and Im sure more than half of the RMG list is going to show up.

I think I may start a Part II for the Fall Swap thread soon. This one is getting pretty long and unruly!

For now keep checking in here for the latest news, and when I do start the new thread, Ill link it here.

Good luck moving into your new house,
    and we look forward to meeting you at the Swap,
    Skybird

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I thought RMG members might like to see the list of RMGers who hope to come to the Fall Swap, so here it is!

These are the people that have actually posted here that they hope to come. Im also adding which area theyre from so if someone wants to arrange carpooling, they can see who might be near them. I have most of the addresses by now, so if you want to contact someone, and they havent enabled PMing, let me know and Ill relay the message. Send to SkybirdDEN@gmail.com if you dont have my "real" address yet.

aliceg8 - - - - - - - - - - - - Ft. Collins
    Amester - - - - - - - - - - - Highlands Ranch
    Azura - - - - - - - - - - - - -Littleton
    Billieladybug - - - - - - - - -COS
    Bloomingamarylis - - - - - -???
    Emagin - - - - - - - - - - - - COS
    Everbloom - - - - - - - - - -SE DEN
    jclepine (jchaber) - - - - - Nederland
    jmbinsteamboat - - - - - - Lakewood
    lindyloo - - - - - - - - - - - -COS
    luckybottom - - - - - - - - -Kersey
    Robin (hasnt actually posted on RMG yet!) - - COS
    shadyplaces - - - - - - - - - Lakewood
    singcharlene - - - - - - - - -Castle Rock
    yago - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Lakewood

nrynes hasnt posted here, but shes on Olegreymares list - - Monument

And theres a slight to slim chance these two might be able to come! Fingers crossed for both!
    highalttransplant - - - - - Silt
    michelle co - - - - - - - - - Near Durango

And these are the poeple from Olegreymares list that have also started posting here recently:
    catladysgarden - - - - - - -Aurora
    Ksplanter - - - - - - - - - - -Kansas!
    olegreymare - - - - - - - - -Littleton I think! Its been 2 years since I was there!

Five weeks and counting,
    Skybird

• shadyplaces
    16 years ago

Amester, sent you a pm for your list.

Who ever wants penstemon, I will bring seeds from Penstemon Ruby Tuesday. Not a huge number, but will have some.

Skybird, just finished an apartment building job in Congress park that got a xeriscape with a dry riverbed. I have probably two trays of the 4 inch pots. 15 per tray I think. If those are the ones you want, I'll throw them on.

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

I've been reading this thread since it's beginning, and I really wish I could go. But without a car it would be, not impossible maybe, but very very difficult.

I'm in Aurora. I don't suppose anyone would want to pick me up? Looks like most people will be coming from some other direction.

Since I'm a beginner gardener, about all I'd have to bring are pink sweet pea seeds, anyway.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Those are on the large size of what I'm hoping for, Shady, but if I can't find something smaller, they'll do. Bring them along!

If you run into any of the 18 per flat (3 1/2") or 32 per flat (2 1/2") I'd love to have them too.

Thanks for thinking of me,
    Skybird

• catladysgarden
    16 years ago

To lilacs_of_may............We are going from Aurora. Please contact me directly at jadiscats@earthlink.net to make arrangements to go with us.
    Karen

• jclepine
    16 years ago

Skybird,
    Did you set the time for the meet yet? I am trying to plan and, although it is on the calendar, I don't know what time to put down.
    Looking forward to it!
    J.C.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi J,

I've been thinking about that a lot lately! Since people are coming from far away, I don't think we should start before noon, but with all the demonstrations, I dont think we should start after 1:00 either. Ive been thinking about splitting the difference and making it at 12:30! That starts it early enough that people will be able to eat soon after they get here so they dont need to have some sort of a light lunch before they come, and it should give us plenty of time to transact all our business and still get the far away people home before midnite! ;-) And we can kind of graze all afternoon so people wont be hungry driving home!

>>> So I vote for 12:30! Does anyone else have a strong preference about starting it at 12:00 or 1:00 instead?

And, just a reminder! Ill be sending out my address and directions to my house when we get closer to the swap. Im waiting till near the end so I can try to get everyone in one big mailing, rather than having to constantly send out more emails to individuals and trying to remember who Ive sent to and who I havent. My olde brain just isnt that good anymoreand its already getting pretty confusing with the group from RMG, and Olegreymares group. I have all of Olegreymares addresses in my book now, and I have most of the RMG addresses, but still dont have them all in my address book. And then theres the emails coming and going every which way! I cant remember whos asking for/wondering about/talking about what anymore, and my head is spinning!

I still need email addresses for
    Everbloom
    and
    Jmbinsteamboat (or should I say jmbnolongerinsteamboat)

If the two of you see this, please send me your address at: SkybirdDEN@gmail.com

I contacted Hummer, since she had really wanted to come to this swap, but she had to return to Canada for a while so she wont be able to come. She hopes to be at one of next years.

And I heard from Jali, and she doesnt think shell be able to make it to this one either. But Im still hoping!

Swap to start at 12:30 unless I hear some good reasons for earlier or later,
    Skybird

• bluefortune
    16 years ago

I've been lurking occasionally, but decided to post what I'm bringing to the swap.

already mentioned:

Bloody Cranesbill (Geranium sanguineum)(still have a couple unpromised ones)
    Lamb's Ear (Stachys Helene von Stein)(just 3 unpromised)
    5 Black-Eyed Susan (Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm')
    Yellow Ice Plant (Delosperma nubigenum)(just 1 unpromised)

Just potted up (and hope they live):
    4 Lyre-leaved Sage (Salvia lyrata 'Purple Knockout')
    2 Pinks (Dianthus amurensis 'Siberian Blue') these are really more pink than blue
    4 Foxglove (Digitalis thapsis 'Spanish Peaks')
    3 Catmint (Nepeta probably 'Six Hills Giant')
    2 Turkish Speedwell (Veronica liwanensis)
    2 Checkerbloom or Checker Mallow (Sidalcea oregana 'Brilliant') (pink)
    2 Alkanet or Bugloss (Anchusa capensis?) short variety about 15" tall - very blue flowers, coarse foliage
    2 Tall Garden Phlox (old garden variety) fairly aggressive, but attracts butterflies
    1 Judith Aster (Aster novae-belgi)
    1 Cupid's Dart (Catananche caerulea 'Amor Blue')
    2 Goldenrod (either 'Crown of Rays' or 'Golden Baby')
    1 Hollyhock Mallow (Malva fastigiata) Lt Pink
    1 blue flax (linum lewisii or perenne)
    1 Sunset Hyssop (Agastache rupestris 'Sunset')
    1 (unpromised) Autumn Joy Stonecrop (Sedum 'Autumn Joy')
    1 (unpromised) Vera Jameson Stonecrop (Sedum 'Vera Jameson')

I will probably also bring a bit of

Purple Mountain Sun Daisy (Osteospermum 'Purple Mountain')
    Bee Balm (Monarda 'Cambridge Red') These will be full size as I'm digging them up to make room for something else

Is anyone interested in an Oriental/Nanking Cherry Shrub (Prunus tomentosa). I have small seedlings I could pot up. They're probably too small for eating, but the birds like the cherries. Sometimes the frost gets them first, though.

Just a note about the Black-Eyed Susans -- this may sound dumb, but I have a hard time distinguishing the small ones from the small coneflowers, so I may have some of both! Maybe someone else can tell me which they are!

I could probably bring a few more of most of this if there's lots of demand, so speak up if you want some!

I enjoy reading everyone's posts, and am looking forward to meeting you all.

Nedra

• lindy_loo
    16 years ago

Amester, can I take back my request for lilacs? I really appreciate the offer, but I am slowly realizing that I am running out of room. I don't think I have space for another bushy plant. I went a little overboard on bushy fruit plants this season...

I am still planning on coming, but I won't be taking any plants home. At least, I'm determined not to this time.

I was curious if anyone would be interested in a demo/sample of a new potting soil that I learned about on the container gardening forum that has done really well for me this year. I could bring all the components and then show the formula or something like that?

Thanks again Amester! (And if you already figured out how to do a cutting and have some lilac started, go ahead and bring it and I will find a place for it.)

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Nedra,

Oooh! I love your list! Id really like to have one of the Digitalis thapsi 'Spanish Peaks', one of the Goldenrod (thats one of the things Ive been thinking about getting for a couple years), and the CatanancheI love the stuff, and I started some from seed but never got them in the ground and eventually overwatered them to death in the pots. :-(

Where you say you "have a hard time distinguishing the small black-eyed susans from the small coneflowers, so I may have some of both," are you talking about seedlings? I dont think I could tell the difference either! As a matter of fact, Im not absolutely positive I could tell the difference even when theyre big unless theyre blooming!

If the Rudbeckia you have is Goldsturm for sure, Id still like to have one to see what it turns out to be. I put some R. hirta in this year, but theyre not reliably hardy, so Goldsturm is another thing I had been planning to get at some point. What color are your coneflowers if it does turn out to be that?

I dont know how Im gonna get all this stuff planted between the swap and when I leave on my vacation! Guess Ill worry about that later! :-)

Thanks for deciding to come post here on RMG,
    Skybird

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Lindy,

How long do you think your demo would be? Im sure people would be interested, but with as many people as I think are coming, and with three demos already, I think we might be turning this swap into a marathon. What youre talking about sounds like it would be fairly shortis that what youre thinking? Let me know and Ill get in touch with Olegreymare.

I dont have a problem at all with going until its getting dark out, and being a weekend, maybe others will feel that way too, but I just dont know since Im still pretty new to this too.

Youre not taking any plants home? Ha! Wanna bet? I wasnt gonna get any plants at this one eitherand I already have 5 or 6 reserved! Betcha youll find something you cant live without too!

Skybird

• yago
    16 years ago

Hey Lindi Loo,

I'm very interested in your soil mixture. I have used Miracle Grow's mix twice and both times it has developed a green mossy slim on the surface. No more of that stuff for me. Whether or not you get a chance to demo your mix I would really appreciate an email (or a post) so I can refer to it this winter.

aka.yago@gmail.com

Also, the pepper and tomah plants I got from you at the last swap are doing great.

~Yago

• catladysgarden
    16 years ago

bluefortune... I'm interested in the Sidalcea, Monarda, and the 2 Sedums.
    Karen

• lindy_loo
    16 years ago

Skybird, I really don't need much more than about five minutes or so and if that is not possible I can just bring the stuff and print off little information sheets on how to make it. I am planning on bringing some pictures, the components, a mixed sample, and a plant that is planted in the mix. If I could I would talk about my experience, how it is made and where to find the components. I am just in love with this new mix (as you know I only garden in containers) and I have had great results in almost everything with it. So I really just want to share the love, so to speak.

Yago, I will definitely send you an e-mail and tell you about it. You won't have a problem with green slime with this stuff! It's great.

• jclepine
    16 years ago

Lindy and Skybird,
    Piping up over here! I do have some containers, namely the tomatoes that will have to come inside to finish, and would love to know about the mix...

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Lindy,

I emailed with Olegreymare earlier (shes in Africa, BTW), but just hadnt had time to get back here yet. All the swap emails Im doing with individuals has me running in circles right now! And Im trying to finish an email to send to all the RMGers that are hoping to come right now too. (Finally got all your addresses in my book!)

Anyway, Id like to get it in one way or another, so there are two possibilities, and we just might want to wait till the day of the swap and let people decide what theyd prefer. We can either do them both (compost and potting soil) at the same time on opposite ends of the yard, and people can decide which one they want to seelike they do at conventions when there are several presentations at the same time and you pick which ones you want to go toor, if most people would like to see both of them, we can just add yours to the lineup.

I do potting soil the easy way! I use Sunshine Mix and never have a problem with it. Personally, Yago, I dont recommend Miracle Grow anythingjust based on things Ive heard about the company while I was in the green industry, but a lot of people use their products and seem to like them, so, whatever works! But Im not surprised you dont like it!

Plan to do it, and well figure out later how to make it happen,
    Skybird

P.S. Pipe down over there, J! ;-)

• Azura
    16 years ago

Bluefortune- I have been wanting to get my hands on a spanish peaks foxglove for quite a while now, if you have one that is not spoken for yet, may I please put my name on one?
    I dont have my complete list yet but I will post it when we get a bit closer. Im so excited for the swap!!
    Azura

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

I'll have a better idea of what I want to bring to the potluck a little closer to the date, but right now I'm leaning toward something with garlic. ;-)

• bluefortune
    16 years ago

OK, I've noted your requests Skybird, Karen and Azura.

Skybird--yes, I was talking about the seedlings of coneflower and black-eyed susans. When they grow up, the foliage is easy to distinguish, but when young, they seem to go through a stage where they look alike to me.

I once gave a black-eyed susan to a friend. When I asked her about it later, she said "yes, it's blooming, but I've been meaning to ask you about it -- it's pink and I thought black-eyed susans were yellow" -- Oops! Guess it was coneflower.

And, since you asked, my coneflowers are all purple. I have both Echinacea purpurea 'Bravado' and 'Rubinstern'. But, I've kind of lost track of what's what and I can't really tell them apart. One of them may have even died a few years ago. They don't reseed as much as the Black-eyed Susans.

Also, I have some little seedlings around my Butterfly Bush - Buddleja davidii 'Pink Delight'. They don't look exactly right, but I don't think there's anything else around that they could be, so I'll pot them up and bring them too. I'll just hope no one sues me for false advertising if they turn out to be something else!

Nedra

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hehehehe! Who says we wont sue you for false advertising? Before the spring swap I found some seedlings around my Agastachebut they just had seed leaves yet, so I dug them up and put them in pots to see what they were for sure. By the time of the swap they had a couple true leaves, but they didnt smell like Agastache to me, so I didnt take them. Im still growing themand trying to figure out what they are, and I THINK they may be honeysuckle. Possibly vines (tho I dont know where they would have come from except possibly birds), or, more likely, bushesI do have one of those! Theyre still very small, and if nobody wants to take them to grow them long enough to be sure what they are at the swap, theyre going to be transformed into compost! Theyre definitely not Agastache!

Thanks for reserving the things for me. If my Rudbeckia turns out to be purple, Ill just get a can of yellow paint! ;-)

Lilacs, have you made arrangements to come to the swap? I dont have you on the list yet. Let me know, and send me your email address and Ill send you the email I just sent out to everybody tonite. Send your address to SkybirdDEN@gmail.com.

And EVERYBODY! I did just send an email to everybody on the list a couple hours ago, so watch your spam boxes for it if you dont get it in your regular inbox! (Its NOT from my gmail address!)

WATCH FOR AN EMAIL -- WATCH FOR AN EMAIL -- WATCH FOR AN EMAIL -- WATCH FOR AN EMAIL -- WATCH FOR AN EMAIL

Skybird

Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG! I just went back to the email I sent to all you RMG folks on the 6th, and discovered that I made the subject, Spring Swap instead of Fall Swap! Don't have a clue why! Either I was thinking back to the fun time we had at the SpringSwap, or I'm looking forward to another one next spring! In any event, it should have been titled, Fall Swap---for obvious reasons! Hope I didn't get anyone else as confused as I am! If you didn't get the email, please let me know and I'll resend it---with the right heading! ;-)

Skybird

• amester
    16 years ago

Lindy, no lilac, no problem, thanks for the heads up!

Nedra - I'd love a blue flax and some black-eyed Susans if I may.

Charlene, Dee, thanks for the cheers - I will be officially haired by the swap. Yay! :)

KSplanter - how do I get ahold of you??

Original Author
    16 years ago

Amy,

Go to one of KSplanter's posts, click on her name and then click on send her an email. You can either PM her via GardenWeb, or she has her email address posted there too.

We'll expect you to have a fancy coif at the swap,
    ;-)
    Skybird

• ksplanter
    16 years ago

Hi!
    Sorry to have been so slow, but Amester....just sent you an email about the dl's I have (some of 'em anyway).
    Nedra...I'd also like some blue flax if you have extra
    and...can't find the post about ice plant, but I'd like some if anyone has extra, I only have purple and not too much of it yet, not at all picky about the color.
    Skybird, you were correct..my yellow flowering groundcover is Potentilla reptans, thank you for the info on that..I have another groundcover that I'm trying to find the name for...I'll try to post pic or find out soon.
    See all of you soon!

• jclepine
    16 years ago

Nedra,
    I'd love the Geranium sanguineum if you still have one. If you don't, my other desire would be for one of those catmints!
    KS,
    I'd love a gourd.
    Other than that, I'd be happy with whatever there is an abundance of.
    I'd still like something that creeps, too.
    I'm still bringing eats, low sedum (unknown species) one is light pink with bright green foliage and one is darker pink with red-tinged foliage, oh, and orange oriental poppy seeds.

• bluefortune
    16 years ago

Amy, I have you down for Flax and Black-eyed Susan (besides the earlier Cranesbill you asked for)

Jennifer, I do have more Cranesbills -- small, but I think big enough to live

KSPlanter -- I'll see if I can find another Flax out there somewhere for you. I do have another Yellow Ice Plant that you can have.

Would anyone be interested in Hollyhock seeds (Red)?

Nedra

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

About the only thing I'd be bringing is pink sweet pea seeds. And something to eat, probably with garlic unless the zucchini do something weird like take over my yard or something.

Would it be an insult to bring old seeds? Some of them are quite old. They may or may not be viable. Some are of the "what was I thinking variety"? Some I tried and I didn't care for or I don't think they did very well. Maybe someone else would like to try them.

If I bring cuttings, they'd have to be potted up and rooted, right?

Speaking of lilacs, my neighbor has a nice big lilac bush next to her fence and some of the lilac suckers/branches have squeezed through the fence and escaped into my yard. Awesome! Free lilacs!

• jclepine
    16 years ago

Lilacs,
    I know this might sound silly...but, are the sweet pea seeds an edible or just an ornamental? I'd love to try some either way! We are putting in a wire fence and I think pink flowers twining up it would look terrific next spring. ...and maybe the neighborhood dogs will stop doing their thing in my yard...
    Thanks in advance!
    And thanks for the cranesbill, Nedra!!

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

Nedra - I'd take some of the red hollyhock seeds please!

And jclepine - I planted some morning glory seeds described as cherry red in color. Once they finally got going - look out! Very vigorous, nice large leaves. Will make a great screen. But only bloom in the morning of course. I have some seeds left. Let me know if you'd like some.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Alice,

I just want to let you know I'll also have hollyhock seed available. I have black (dark, dark, dark red), and mixed (various shades of pink). No need to reserve any. I have plenty of seed for anybody who wants some---but remember to get some if you'd like some. I'll have other seeds too. As soon as I have time I'm going to post my final list of what I'll have for both plants and seeds, so keep an eye out for it.

Four more weeks,
    Skybird

• jclepine
    16 years ago

Alice,
    I might like to try the morning glory seeds! I think that the winter will help keep them from going too crazy, so I'll go for it. Thanks!

Also, I've started collecting the all white columbine seeds...not that much, but I have seeds from about four pods. Maybe this is one of those things people should request if they want it.

Lastly, Skybird, I WAS the one with the red poppy, but the cute little old lady is afraid to dig any up since it is a small plant. I might have to give up on it. I am going to give it one more try, I'm thinking of coming by with my cutest and best behaved chihuahua to help encourage her :) he loves little old ladies and they love him!!

• bloomingamaryllisrmg
    16 years ago

Would anyone like perennial sweet pea seeds? I think it may be considered invasive. It's moved from my neighbors yard to mine.

Original Author
    16 years ago

I'd like some of your sweet pea seeds, Amaryllis. I buy them every year to plant along my fence behind the tomatoes. I usually deadhead mine, but a bunch have gone to seed right now, so I'm going to try to find time to collect some of them too, but I always put in a lot.

Thanks,
    Skybird

• jclepine
    16 years ago

I'd really like sweet pea seeds, too, please :)

• cnetter
    16 years ago

I'm collecting alot of seeds, way more than I ever use as usual, and am willing to mail some of them to someone to pass out at the swap. Olgreymare volunteered.

I grew alot of sweet peas this year - something like 20 packets worth, so I'm collecting alot of these. All the colous and varieties are grown together, so they'll be a mixed bag of colours. Probably a lot of a particularly fragrant white touched with lavender since this one was incredibly vigorous and is still blooming like crazy.

Several people have expressed interest in seeds from Salvia patens, but it hasn't really set seed yet. Hopefully it will do it soon. I always get alot of seeds from it, but I think it's later in the year.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Cnetter, Ive been meaning to get back to you on this one, and just keep running out of time. You can send the seeds directly to me if you want, or maybe I could run over to your place closer to the swap and pick them up. I get my hair cut at 58th and Wadsworth, so it wouldnt be that much further, and it would save you the hassle of mailing them. And Id like to see your gardens anyway. Will be getting my hair cut again probably the last week of August, so I can let you know when and maybe we can work something out.

Sorry you wont be able to make it to the swap,
    Skybird

• bloomingamaryllisrmg
    16 years ago

Keep in mind the sweet peas are a Perennial sweet pea and not the typical annual.

• bloomingamaryllisrmg
    16 years ago

I potted 5 non-blooming large lamb's ears today.

• everbloom
    16 years ago

Hi Nedra,
    I am interested in one of your osteopermun purple mt. if you have any unclaimed. I have a variety of slightly unusual plants I will list soon.
    Thank you,
    everbloom

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

My sweet peas are definitely perennials. They come back every year, stronger than ever. I wouldn't mind if they crowded out the weeds. They're prettier than the sticklers, and they attract plenty of bees and wasps.

I'd be interested in the hollyhocks. I'm still trying to figure out something tall to plant next to the fence.

• bluefortune
    16 years ago

I'll pot up an osteospermum for you, Everbloom and will be sure to bring my hollyhock seeds for those of you who want them.

Just a cautionary word to those of you planning to plant perennial sweet pea -- although it isn't on the noxious weed list (yet), I believe it's on the so-called "watch list" since it has escaped into the wild in many locations and is very invasive and apparently hard to eradicate, so be sure not to plant it next to open space.

Also, you might not know that it isn't scented (like annual sweet peas are).

Nedra

Original Author
    16 years ago

Amaryllis, I definitely missed the "perennial" part of your postI was thinking annual sweet peasand if Nedra says theyre that much of a thug, I guess I cant use them anyway. Im looking for something I can grow on my privacy lattice that wont get totally out of hand like Virginia Creeper, and I thot the perennial Lathyrus would work, but Ive never grown them before, and I didnt know they were a possible invasive. So for now I guess my list is down to just clematisand Im back to looking for some others. (Does anybody know if Lathyrus vernus, alpine sweetpea, is potentially invasive?)

Nedra, I did check the National and State Noxious weed lists, and its not on the National, Colorado, or any of the nearby states as of now. Thanks for the heads up that it could be a problem. The best way to get rid of a problem plant is to not plant it in the first place!

Lilacs, you must have missed my post to you up a ways, but I still need your email address to get you on the list so youll get the emails when theyre sent. Send it to SkybirdDEN@gmail.com

Skybird

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all,

This thread has gotten so long, I've just started a Fall Swap -- Part Two thread!

For all posts from now until the swap, please add them to the Part Two thread.

Thanks,
    Skybird

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor