Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

tomato trellis/tunnel

digit
17 years ago

It appears that the entire RM gardening area in the US is experiencing Summer-like heat. But, I just came across this dandy idea for a combination tunnel/trellis for tomatoes because of the informative efforts of gardener EbbMc over in the tomato forum.

Now, I may have been behind the 8 ball on something like this but I've been struggling with methods to moderate our tough growing conditions with plastic film for decades. At one time, I gardened a short distance from where I now live but where the season was so short and nights so cool, I could only trust SubArctic tomatoes to ripen.

We now grow lots of tomatoes and caging has been my preference but I have also tried a horizontal string trellis as used by flower growers but "beefed up" with additional boards. It was often severely weighted by harvest and I finally decided it wasn't worth the effort. EbbMc has a much improved trellis utilizing wire fencing laid out horizontally above the plants. Further, he kills 2 stones with 1 bird by utilizing the trellis as a frame for plastic film during the early part of the season.

A high tunnel has been a handy structure for me and I've grown tomatoes in there but this obviously works very well, provides additional service by supporting the tomato plants and, he claims, stores easily thru the Winter.

Just wanted to share (and show my appreciation).

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: EbbMc's trellis/tunnel

Comment (1)