Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Hello Yellow!

highalttransplant
12 years ago

Well, I've done orange and red, so I might as well start a yellow thread too!

Daylily 'Stella d'Oro'

Berlandiera lyrata (Chocolate Flower)

{{gwi:404442}}

Sedum kamtschschaticum variegatum

Verbascum 'Copper Rose'

{{gwi:404428}}

There are a lot more yellows yet to bloom in my garden, so I'll be back with more pics later.

Bonnie

Comments (29)

• jclepine
    12 years ago

Lovely! I love your colour choices and am hoping I find a way to fit some more yellow into my beds. Everything seems to be pink or purple!

I do finally have a lovely yellow Iris coming out, next to my new favourites the 'Steppin' Little' Irises:

From 2011-06-19

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One of my favorites that I wintersow every year, Petunia 'Prism Sunshine'

{{gwi:404441}}

The yellow Columbine started blooming today too, but it was way too windy on the west side of the house to get a picture. I'll try and remember to get one in the morning when it's calm and in the shade.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

We're starting to get the yellows, and of course we have 'Stella d'Oro', but not today:

Some sort of Dutch iris from a mix the MIL got:

Spiraea japonica 'Limemound'

Dan

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

You sure that's not an Allium, Dan?

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow flowering Allium

12 years ago

Oh, yes you're right skybird. It's in the Dutch iris clump but the brain shut off and couldn't get further.

Dan

12 years ago

LOL! Turn it back on, Dan! It's really important to keep it running!

;-)
    Skybird

• dsieber
    12 years ago

Love the Day Lily!

12 years ago

OK, trying to turn the brain back on and share some eye:

Dan

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ooooooh, what is that last one, Dan? Looks like maybe some type of Rudbeckia. I love the yellow marigolds too. I actually forgot to plant any marigolds this year, but I prefer the soft yellow color over the orange ones.

Skybird beat me to it on the allium photo. I've been wanting yellow alliums for a while, and my MIL sent me some bulbs that she received as a bonus on some bulb order. The problem was by the time she sent them (from Florida) it was way too late to plant them here, and when I found them in the garage this spring, they were all rotten : (

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Almost too breezy for photographs today, but here's a pretty decent shot of Aquilegia chrysantha.

{{gwi:404443}}

More to come ...

12 years ago

Ooooooh, what is that last one, Dan?

Unfortunately, Bonnie, the BH makes it difficult to ID plants in our yard. It is some sort of Gazania, but I can't find the tag to get the variety. Bought as an annual for the pots. And I do like that columbine.

Dan

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, I'm growing several Gazanias, but have never seen one like that before! Very cool! My wintersown ones aren't blooming yet, but hopefully soon.

The Columbine seeds came from Skybird. I wintersowed it in '07.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is a yellow Gaillardia that I received at the RMG swap last spring, but I can't remember from who, or what the name of the plant is. As you can see, the grasshoppers have been snacking on it. Hopefully, it will start producing blooms faster than they can eat it.

Coreopsis grandiflora 'Sunburst'

Blooms are not quite fully open yet, but here is Feverfew. It's right next to the yellow Columbine, and they look nice together once fully in bloom.
    {{gwi:404446}}

Unnamed dwarf, yellow Snapdragon. Seeds were received in a seed swap.

{{gwi:404445}}

Bonnie

• gjcore
    12 years ago

A few yellows going on.

Asiatic Lilly which has quite a bit of red.

Yellow Columbine

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gjcore, I love that Asiatic Lily! It's just gorgeous!!!

I have a few more yellows to show.

Dianthus knappii

{{gwi:404453}}

Anthemis tinctoria (Golden Marguerite)

{{gwi:404455}}

Asclepias tuberosa 'Gay Butterflies' is supposed to be a red, orange and yellow mix. Mine are all either gold and orange. Here is a shot of the gold.

{{gwi:404459}}

Hemerocallis 'Wynnson' which came from Catladysgarden at one of the RMG swaps.

More to come ...

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Here's a few of my yellows!

Gazania:

My successful yellow rose (not the one that turned red on me):

And some of my Portulaca is yellow:

• cinderspritzer
    12 years ago

I have a couple. The hibiscus is the only thing I've planted myself. Not sure if it will survive overwintering, but I only paid a few dollars for it, so it's okay if it dies *shrug*

12 years ago

Cinder, I don't believe there are any yellow Hibiscus that are hardy, so if you leave it outside over winter it will almost positively die--but if you decide to stick it in a pot and keep it inside over winter, and if you have a window with enough sun, it will probably bloom most of the winter for you! If it's getting too big, you can cut it back severely before bringing it inside, and cut it back again as needed over winter to keep it the size you want it. Then you'd have a wonderful patio pot to move back out next summer!

I really need to get around to getting Picasa in this computer! I have all kinds of things blooming, and I keep taking lots of pics--but no way to translate them from the camera to the computer right now! But--here are pics from past years of a few of the things that are in bloom right now!

My yellow rose---which has never threatened to turn red! ;-) (It's 'Mellow Yellow'--my favorite of the five roses that were in here when I bought the house!)

Sedum kamtschaticum 'Variegatum'--which actually just got done blooming for this year!

And my Solidago 'Golden Baby', Goldenrod which I got from BlueFortune at the Fall '07 swap. This pic is from '09, so it's definitely bigger now!

My yellow columbine is blooming too, of course, and my 'Wynnson' daylily just started today, Bonnie. And my Coreopsis 'Baby Sun' is in full bloom for the first time--but that's one of the things that's in the camera--and not the computer!

Dan, if you'd like seed for the Aquilegia chrysantha, watch for the seed exchange thread when Bonnie starts it sometime over winter! I always have plenty of it for whoever wants some!

Need to find time to get Picasa in here---but I'm having too much fun playing outside!

Skybird

• cinderspritzer
    12 years ago

Can anyone tell me what that second flower in my post is? It doesn't appear to be curled or have ripple-y enough petals to be an iris and it doesn't seem open enough for a lily... I didn't plant it so I don't know what it is.

Also, thanks for the information on the hibiscus, Skybird. I figure it would die, but I wasn't terribly worried about it as I plan to tear most of the old scraggly stuff out to redo most of the garden anyway. When I get to that, I'll re-pot the hibiscus as it's terribly root bound as it is anyway. Thankfully it was cheap ;)

12 years ago

Your second one is a daylily, Cinder, but no way to know what variety it is. I think it's pretty! I love the soft color!

Skybird

• cinderspritzer
    12 years ago

Thanks! If I ever make it to a trade, I'll bring you a bulb or six ;)

12 years ago

Veronica 'Aztec Gold' and Spiraea japonica 'Limemound', this corner still filling out:

Achillea 'Lemon Yellow Form' and Festuca glauca 'Boulder Blue'

and we know these two:

Dan

• jclepine
    12 years ago

Gjcore, I love that Asiatic lily!! Do you know the name of it?

I finally have some more yellow!

This is that unknown daisy that I think we found out was an Anthemis biebersteiniana 'dwarf silver leaf Marguerite daisy'.

From 2011-07-04

This is my yellow columbine that I didn't focus on too well. The professor Gordon P. Farnsworth is in the background.

From 2011-07-04

And here is a lovely sedum bloom...

From 2011-07-04

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Here's a pic of the yellow rose that has now "turned" red, pic taken after I planted it 2 years ago:

The red blooms have withered, so will have to see if it gets more to post on the "Red Hot" thread. But still hoping to see some yellow ones show up as well ...

And here's my sedum, not sure of the variety. I bought these about 4 years ago and planted at a different house. When we moved, I dug some up and transplanted them in our new yard. This is the first time they've flowered since:

The flowers are rather nondescript, and they get a bit leggy when they bloom, so may not let them go this far next year.

12 years ago

Jennifer, I didn't know he was a full professor!!!!! Poor Gordy! He looks (if you enlarge the pic) like he's thinking: Hmmpfff! Nowhere even left out here for a dog anymore!!! And I checked out your album, and in the fourth pic I see that he gets to go hiking with you---but doesn't need to put his feet on the ground to do it! ;-) I'll try to answer your questions on the other thread later today or tomorrow--but I'm not sure I'm gonna be much help! (If you want to know what type it is, your sedum is the same one I posted above!)

Misty, I love yellow roses, so I hope you get yours back! If you wind up with any yellow canes at all, cut the red ones off all the way down to the roots--or at least as far down as you can get them! I can't see enough of the foliage to be positive, but I think your sedum is Sedum reflexum 'Blue Spruce'. When it's not blooming, is it blue spruce color, and do the stems look kind of like the new "candles" on a blue spruce tree? I'll just post a thumbnail since it's not yellow--click for the bigger view--but here's a pic of my 'Blue Spruce' foliage. The stems you see going off the top edge of the pic are flowers. I generally don't let this one bloom because it's really ugly by the time it's blooming, but if you cut it all the way down (abut an inch) a couple times a year, you can keep some nice looking foliage most of the year. If you cut this one ALL the way down to the soil, it has a tendency to die off! (Or else cut about half of the stems all the way down, wait till you see new growth at the base of them, and then cut the other half down!) Linked below is Jelitto's pic of it blooming to maybe help you identify it.

Here's another yellow one from me! Golden Sage, Salvia officinalis 'Aurea'. I was almost positive it had died off over winter this year--most of the woody bottom definitely did die off, but the few live stems started growing again, and now, while it's still smaller than it was, it's back to about the size it was in this '07 pic! I love the way the foliage on this stuff compliments almost anything it's next to, and if it ever does die off all the way I will definitely be getting another one--or two!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Sedum reflexum - Jelitto

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We've had some cloud cover the past day or two, so I was able to get a few more pictures.

This thing is loaded with blooms, and is a softer yellow that Stella, plus the blooms are a bit larger. Hemerocallis 'Happy Returns'

I didn't plant sunflowers this year, they came back on their own.

This one is kind of hard to place. Some would say it's orange, but others a bright yellow. Anyway, It's supposed to be Rudbeckia 'Irish Eyes', but I moved it in the fall, and now it's some sort of mutant plant with half brown, half green eyes.

{{gwi:404465}}

Bonnie

• jclepine
    12 years ago

Bonnie, I love that Irish Eyes!!! Strange, though, how it mutated. Maybe some other seed got mixed up in there? If you ever have one to share at a swap, I'd love to have one!

Jennifer

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Skybird - I think you are right that what I have is the Blue Spruce. I don't remember it being called that when I bought it, but that was about 4 years ago so no wonder I can't remember ;^D. Yea, I think I probably won't let it bloom again - not horrible, but not a real "looker" when they do. I'll keep 'em cut back like you suggested.

Marj

• libraryannie
    12 years ago

Here are two mystery yellows:
    This first one is a volunteer about 5" high
    {{gwi:1211588}}
    Here is a closeup. Try as I might it eludes focus!
    {{gwi:1211589}}
    And a neighbor gave me this one
    {{gwi:1211590}}
    Here it is from the top. The whole plant is about a foot high.
    {{gwi:1211591}}

If anyone knows what they are, I would love to hear from you. Thanks.