Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet!

Posted by digit ID/WA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 22:35

Rad! Wicked! Awesome! Sweets:

Utah sweets

Plunking in sets isn't the only way to enjoy scallions from the garden! The seeds for these sweet onion went into potting soil in the greenhouse about the 1st of February. I didn't turn the heat on in there for about 6 weeks! I'd pull the flats down on the floor and cover them when it was real cold.

Here they are hardening off the hard way in mid-April:

midApril

In not very many more weeks, I'm expecting the ones that will be left in the garden to look something like this:

sweet onions/shallots

Steve :o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet!

I'm so jealous I can hardly stand it! Those look delicious!

o

Yup, rrrrrub it in...

;o)

Dan

o

I think in many ways, they can be our easiest crop.

It really does help to start them indoors because they cannot handle weed competition. Actually, they can handle it - all too well. They just "fit right in" with whatever crowd shows up! Which means, they can't grow!

Given enuf opportunity, they can and will grow!

When they are tiny, they transplant real well. If it freezes, the onions are usually just fine.

Sweets especially make awfully nice green onions during the weeks they are of that size. By planting sets as my earliest crop and growing both sweets and bunching onions also, there's a loooong season of green onions from my garden. After they form bulbs, the sweets will last until Christmas in my basement.

Other than to keep the weedy crowd away from them, about the only "secret" of growing onions that I know is to treat them like lawn grass. If you want a lush lawn, give it lots of fertilizer and water. I feed them an organic lawn fertilizer - high nitrogen.

Onions! I wish all vegetables were so easy to grow.

Steve

o

Steve, do you cut the tops back when you set them out?

o

I have David.

But, not usually . . . tho' the reason behind it seems sensible. As you can see from that picture of the onions in the snow, they were starting to get too tall before they went into the garden. However, they were out there in fairly short order after than snow.

As long as they can straighten themselves once transplanted, I don't think shearing the tops is necessary.

Steve

o

• Posted by jnfr z5b CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 14:49

Beautiful! I love how easy onions and garlic are to grow here. I've got shallots in this year and they take so little effort, it's amazing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here