Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

the trouble with squirrels

digit
15 years ago

Some may remember that I was curious what trouble would come when a momma squirrel moved into the tree in my yard last Summer. There were a few negative responses but I decided not to run her off. She left on her own (but not unaccompanied) about a month ago. Now, the vestiges of her residence have become a little troublesome.

No, while she was here, she was little more than a source of entertainment. She never "got into anything" in my yard that I was aware of. She did draw my attention to the tiny alpine strawberries when they rippened in the lawn.

I planted them years ago, DW had absolutely no interest in them but the plants sent out runners and invaded a few square feet of the lawn. Turns out the plants are quite happy amongst the lawn grass and even mature a crop - Madam Squirrel enjoyed the berries.

During warm weather over the Winter, she would descend from the top of the tree and show up on our deck. There, we discovered she was shredding a vinyl tablecloth we had used to cover a gas cooker. She'd stuff her mouth with the cotton-backed vinyl and scurry back up the tree to her nest. I couldn't bring myself to put a stop to it. She was just trying to stay warm and she was a mother, after all.

She left on her own probably after all the walnuts she'd buried around the yard had been dug and the neighbor had given up putting black oil sunflower seed in his bird feeder. Yes, there were tiny holes here and there where she'd dug the walnuts and she did miss at least one - I've got a seedling starting to grow beside the driveway. But, she had her maternal responsibilities and it was time to move on.

It was comical to watch her - fortunately, she was not seen leaving by the neighborhood cats. We caught sight of her just as she was packing her baby off the fence under her tree and heading across the road.

Baby must have been at least one-half of her size. It would have been a good deal of work bringing Baby down from the nest because crossing the street was a process of hop, hop . . . put Baby down and rest . . . hop, hop . . . put Baby down . . .

She finally disappeared around the neighbor's house on the other side of the street, unnoticed by any predators. Once in the backyard there, she would have another row of trees to scurry about in and a lazy Labrador to keep the cats at bay. She's been back only once to visit and seemed quite perky to be frequenting her own haunts for an hour or so.

The trouble? Her nest is now falling slowly to pieces. Apparently, it takes continual squirrel maintenance to keep the thing together. One can imagine her clinging to it from the inside during the cold, Winter windstorms.

Now, there are bunches of dried grass, cellophane, squirrel hair and vinyl tablecloths raining down in the yard. A little more falls each day.

I wish she'd come back and put her house back in order.

digitS'

Comments (6)

• emagineer
    15 years ago

What a charming story Steve. I can envision a wonderful children's book with drawings of mom/child and you during this adventure of nature. Only you could bask in the wonders of such and share it with other's. Have I ever told you how much your writing is dearly appreciated? If not, thank you.

• Azura
    15 years ago

Emagineer, I completely agree with you. I was perusing gardening blogs yesterday and there is an amazing number of them out there. The thing Ive noticed about blogs in general is that there are some people that have no real voice or storytelling skills. As an avid gardener, I suck up all of the information I can from every source. I consider you to be one of those valuable sources Steve but beyond that, your writing and story skills are superb. I can picture myself sitting around a fire just listening to you talk for hours. My point is, have you ever thought about compiling all of your advice/lore/stories/photos in one place, in a gardening blog? I must have read 100 gardening blogs yesterday and not a single one was as interesting as your squirrel story.

• jamie_mt
    15 years ago

It's so nice to hear of someone else who enjoys the natural fuzzies around them (nest material rain notwithstanding). We're a pretty animal friendly bunch in our neighborhood too - everyone just plans around the natural "wildlife" when planting in the spring.

We have a family of squirrels living in the neighbor's tree - cutest little things ever! They don't bother anything, and we see them doing thier "high wire" act occasionally on the power lines between houses. My dogs keep them out of our yard, but I love watching them dig for treasure over the fence or chase each other up the trees.

We have rabbits all over too, and the same neighbor had a bunch of newly planted cucumbers and such chomped to the ground, but he knew it would happen since they were waiting for him when he went out to till his garden this spring. He always plants extra and backs it up with seed so that whatever they destroy will eventually be replaced. Apparently the bunnies haven't figured out that my garden area is fenced off from the dogs yet, and they leave my plants alone (for now).

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your comments are too kind. I'm afraid my literary skills will never "rippen" adequately before composting (nor skills in spelling, syntax, etc.)

digitSteve

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1211628}}

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

And here I thought the trouble was there just are not enough good receipes for them. LOL

Billie

• Azura
    15 years ago

digitSteve-
    Imho, syntax and spelling are afterthoughts. Storytelling, humor and voice cannot be created or fixed with spellcheck.