Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heyoehkah

Fruit trees on front range

heyoehkah
18 years ago

I am planning a move to Colorado Springs. Can anyone tell me what fruit trees and grape varities are successfully grown on the front range? I am guessing Cherry do well, but what about apple, peach, pear etc?

Thanks,

David

Comments (3)

• Dan
    18 years ago

The best fruit trees for the Colorado Springs area are apples, and even they are hit or miss. The reason most fruit trees don't produce reliably here is the late winter blasts. The trees are coaxed into blooming by warm days and the intense sun. Then they get blasted by freezing temps, high winds and snow. The two snowiest months of the year in the Springs are March and April, and its certainly not unheard of in May. As you can imagine, its difficult to get fruit to set.

If you live at a lower altitude you may have better success. Folks on the south side of the city (where its lower and warmer) may have better luck than us northsiders. I'm at 7000 feet and get more snow ( and later in the year) than people on the other end.

The Colorado Cooperative Extension has lots of info on fruit trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado State Cooperative Extension Horticulture Online

• nancy_in_co
    18 years ago

I live on the southside of Colorado Springs at about 6300' and have some fruit trees. I can't give you varieties because the trees were there when I bought the house.

We get a peach crop about one out of every 3 years. The apple crop is more dependable but the quality varies greatly from year to year. We don't have pear trees but I know that the situation is similiar to apple trees. As far as cherries are concerned, only the sour cherries are hardy.

Our neighbor has grape vines on the fence between our properties. While they do produce, the racoons and bears get most of the crop. I don't mind the racoons but mama bears with cubs are more serious. If you are going to be gardening on the west side of I-25, you should keep them in mind.

I am not suggesting that you give up on the fruit trees but I would check out the website above, do some homework and
    have some realistic expectations. You might want to try veggie gardening instead and buy your fruit from one of our many farmers' markets. They get their fruit on the western slope (Grand Junction area) or south of Pueblo.

• beltland_comcast_net
    13 years ago

We live in Boulder and have had wonderful luck with a "Reliance" peach tree and "Montmorency" cherry tree. We planted the peach tree about 10' from the SE corner of the house to protect it from wind. The cherry tree is about 10' from the NE corner of the house. Both trees produce lots of fruit every year -- the peach tree in particular is a little piece of heaven on earth. I have pruned the trees most years, but I have to say I feel like I don't know what I'm doing even though I try to follow the directions I see on-line. If you love peaches and live in Colorado, try a "Reliance."