Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

HOA and Sumacs

aloha2009
12 years ago

Our HOA bans using Sumacs, though there are some homeowners currently using sumacs in their landscaping.

Because of the size, leaf shape, contorted branching, and fall color, I want desperately to plant it.

The main reason seems to be the invasiveness. It's hard to understand the complete banning of this shrub, when aspens are acceptable if planted in a controlled space (which I have offered to do with the sumac). We've had aspens and we've had sumacs in a previous yard, and I can't say there was any difference in invasiveness.

I've seen positive information on the extension sites, and local nurseries sell it but somehow this shrub has gotten a bad rap in our neighborhood.

If you have information that you can share, that I could provide to my HOA that might persuade them to alter the bylaws, it would be much appreciated.

Comments (7)

• dsieber
    12 years ago

Sumacs are very attractive but they can spread. However I have not seen them go more than 20 ft. Depending on your lot size I doubt they would take over your neighborhood. My guess the HOA (usually a middleman that just cares that you pay the quarterly fees) has no clue what a cottonwood looks like. If a shoot goes under the fence to the neighbors yard offer to come over and chop it down.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

When I used to have the landscaping business, occasionally I'd have to submit something the Design Committee asking for a variance. I usually got it.

I'd talk to the neighbor(s) that will get a new sumac(s) & tell them - like dsieber stated - you'll take it out. If you get a no, be prepared to have a shoot get sprayed and hopefully that won't kill the parent plant.

Other trouble is, if you move away that deal is off and the surrounding parcels are stuck with plants they may not want and may involve tearing up some landscaping to eradicate (or they'll spray Marathon and kill your plant).

If you are planting in a bed far away from property line, give the variance thing a whirl.

I'm in general anti-HOA but in some cases they serve a useful function.

Dan

• austinnhanasmom
    12 years ago

My sumacs pop up more then 20' from the parents.

The birds/kids help spread seeds.

My HOA is VERY resistant to change. Once it's in the by-laws, whether it makes sense or not, it's the law.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The property line is of course a concern except in our situation, there is about 30' of uninhabitable land between the two of us (driveway, walkways, etc. So even if a Sumac decided to venture out, it wouldn't stand a chance of survival. It's good to know that two of you had shoots go out 20'.

I think I will take your ideas and go to each of the 4 people individually on the board and ask for a variance. I've tried to discuss this at the meetings, but I think they just want to get to the business at hand and not have to include a long debate over it.

I'll let everyone know what happens.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

:(

I've only gotten 1 response back so far and the was a big NO.

I talked with the paid manager that oversees everything. She doesn't decide the rules, just enforces. Apparently even the homeowners that have them, they have given notices about removing them, so I don't think I'm going to get a blank check. I think my only alternative is to ask for a vote amongst homeowners to move sumacs to the level of aspens.

Does anyone know how well the seeds of a sumac germinate, since at least in my case, runners will not be a problem with the neighbors?

• austinnhanasmom
    12 years ago

The birds do a GREAT job of spreading seeds in my yard. I have maybe 5 sumacs in my yard and must pull (if I catch them early enough) or prune 100 a year.

I know that there are MANY MANY seeds, maybe thousands, that do not germinate, but the few that make it are irritating - and I LOVE LOVE my sumacs.

After 8 years, I have pruned them to be my "palm" trees and they are my most favorite plant in the fall.

I am certain that I have neighbors that detest the volunteers, but we have no HOA rules against them.

• milehighgirl
    12 years ago

I want to add that if my neighbor planted, or allowed to grow, any "False Sumac" or "Tree of Heaven", I would become the one that was invasive! I inherited a piece of property that had been unkept and there is simply no way to get rid of them except with years of determination. They spread across property lines through root and seed. IMHO the Sumac should be called the "Tree of Hell".

The one tree that was allowed to mature on the property (and it was beautiful, btw) now has babies on the far opposite side that had also been allowed to grow between the crack in the sidewalk and the garage. The whole structure is cracked now. The property is 100 feet by 75 feet. There is no safe place from one of these.

Because I want to use the space as a vegetable garden once they are removed, I am having to sift the soil up to 18 inches deep to get at all the tiny root pieces. Even still I miss many and have had to go back and dig up the left overs.

Ironically, now that I am trying to eliminate the trees I find it impossible because the neighboring property is not well maintained. While the original tree was on what is now my property, the trees are coming back from the neighboring property. It's just a nightmare.

If you like fall color there are other more suitable trees. While I am focusing mostly on "False Sumac", the other Sumac do spread in a similar fashion.

Please don't plant it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree of Heaven