Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

I've Got Peas!

digit
10 years ago

So, how far am I behind everyone else??

the bed of snap peas

the first light harvest of snap peas on the left, 6.5# (there won't be many, not many blooms on the vines) and a hatfull of snow peas on the right (there won't be many, those vines didn't make much growth)

Steve

Comments (16)

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

Steve, I pulled mine up earlier this week and planted beans.

Not a good year at all. It got too hot too quickly.

• mla2ofus
    10 years ago

I only planted a 40' row and half of them didn't even sprout so I'm getting so few peas we just eat them right in the garden. Also I bought shorter peas that said they didn't need to be staked. They aren't tall but they should still have been staked as they are twining on each other and laying on the ground. Next year they will be staked regardless of what the package says!

• plantladyco
    10 years ago

I replanted them after a month of no germination.(snow peas)
    Picked some yesterday...a few handfuls.
    First too cold...then too hot!

• digit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have tried "dwarf" varieties repeatedly and it never works!

They are always in a tangle. Peas are at a risk for mildew and the pods lying on the ground isn't a good thing.

Trellising doesn't work all that well either. I knew I'd better snap that picture before the sprinklers ran another time or 2. They get floppy. If I wasn't so committed to garden beds, I suppose that a wire fence would be the way to go. A 4' bed is a little too wide for that.

But, I love to have 'em! The peas that is, not the trellises.

Steve

• gjcore
    10 years ago

Steve, your plants are looking great.

Hasn't been a real good year here for peas. The ones that were planted early all got killed in those April deep freezes. Didn't really plant that much afterwards. Still got a couple small patches producing. Probably won't last much longer but still good to snack on some while browsing through the garden.

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

Wow, those look yummy, Steve!

• Olga2013
    10 years ago

Steve, your peas plants look awesome! I live in Colorado Springs. This year my peas are not very good. Just enough to snack here and there, but I expected to have a better crop. And my plants do not look as healthy as yours. Good luck.

• ajax5240
    10 years ago

WOW! You plant them thick! I have never tried packing them in as tight as you have them. Any issues with them choking each other out?

I have found the metal "hog fence" that you can get at lowes. 50' roll about $25. And a few fence stakes. Use it for peas and cucumbers.

You are way ahead of me, planted after the last hard frost. Just starting to get enough for a snack in the garden.

I'm up in Johnstown (right by Loveland)

Good work!

• digit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by ajax5240
    WOW! You plant them thick! I have never tried packing them in as tight as you have them. Any issues with them choking each other out?

I don't believe so, Ajax5240.

They are in a 4' wide bed, 4 rows so, the rows are a foot apart. Even a few weeds will get a start with them.

The production on the northside may be less than the southside of the bed but I was noticing that the pods look a little sunburned on the southside. Might be something of a trade-off issue for that.

I won't try to keep these peas going late but will sow seed for more snow peas elsewhere, in about 3 weeks.

My task right now will be to finish that harvest over the next few days. Filled a 48 quart cooler this morning.

Steve

• bob_in_colorado
    10 years ago

What the frick do you need all those peas for. What do you use them for?

That's a whole lotta peas.

• digit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bob, did you see that pile of cilantro on the basket in the other post?

The farmers' market customers sure go for that stuff!

I haven't figured a good way to deal with a lot of cilantro. I can hardly believe that there is a cilantro pesto!!! Anyway, the peas are popular but they also freeze nicely.

Steve

• bob_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Cilantro grows like a weed. Plant 1 plant and let it go to seed, cilantro out your ears. Dills the same way.

I see you sell them at a FM. Makes sense now. :-)

• margaretmontana
    10 years ago

I have had snow peas for about 3 weeks and about finished. We picked shelling peas on Friday and shelled out enough for 5 cups. 4 for the freezer and 1 for creamed peas for dinner. There is not going to be much of a second picking probably as it has gotten hot. But the hot weather has caused other things to do better. I picked first of zucchini today. I have some peppers on but tomatoes mostly had to be replanted because of aphids and flea beetles so they will be late and the beets and radishes for the most part went to seed.

• digit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Creamed peas and new potatoes! Yep, should have some of those tomorrow or Tuesday, Margaret!

The last from that bed of snap peas will be picked tomorrow. Then, I will pull the plants. Bush bean seed is going into that bed. Can't get the shell peas out in time for that, this year. Tomorrow is the drop-dead date for bush beans.

Well, not really the drop-dead, drop-dead date but sowing the bean seed by the 15th has always provided for a productive harvest before the end of the growing season. Planting later, like after the 21st, hasn't.

Steve

• gardenarts
    10 years ago

We harvested the last of our peas this weekend. Only have space for a fairly small planting, but they did fantastic this year. We got 3 harvests of about 3-4 cups shelled peas each picking over the past few weeks. I planted the Baker Creek Seed "Little Marvel" and "Sugar Ann" and they were both super sweet and flavorful. Sugar Ann is a snap pea, but you can also let it go to shell pea stage. I'll be planting these again next year.

• digit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by gardenarts . . . both super sweet and flavorful. Sugar Ann is a snap pea, but you can also let it go to shell pea stage. . .

A real positive for the entire snap pea group! Miss 'em, shell 'em.

I was snacking on the missed peas today, as I was clearing the snap pea vines from the bed. It is all planted to bush beans now and we are on to the Green Arrow shell peas.

There weren't many snow peas. I don't know why I didn't get more seed in the ground. Oh well, just about ready to find some bare soil to plant a few for the fall. Yes, I suppose I could just plant them where they are growing now but I won't be committing a whole bed to them, that's for sure. They don't do as well for me when sown in summer.

Steve