Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Fall Swap 2009

Hi all,

IÂve been planning to start this thread for a few weeks now, but have just been too busy!

Anybody want to have another swap this fall?

Since I leave on vacation usually a few days after the swap, I decided last fall to not have it at my house again this year. It was just too chaotic trying to get ready for the swap and vacation at the same time. Before she left last yearÂs Fall Swap, Karen/CatladysGarden, said she might have it at her place this year. IÂll send her an email to let her know IÂve started this thread. In case she doesnÂt want to do it, is there anybody else whoÂs willing to volunteer their yard for an afternoon?

I plan to leave on vacation on the 9th, and I know for sure IÂll be off on the 5th and 6th, so the first weekend in September works for me again. I wonÂt know for several more days if IÂll be off either or both days of the last weekend in August, but if thatÂs when everybody wants to have it and I canÂt make it, IÂll be sure my stuff gets there!

For those that havenÂt been to any of the swaps yet, we usually start about noonish, and so far weÂve had a potluck at each of the (FIVEÂcan you believe it!) swaps weÂve had in the past. WeÂve also always said that nobody needs to have either any plants or any food to be welcome at the swap! Anything and everything you can bring is very welcome, but we get together as much to swap gardening talk and friendship as to swap plantsÂso everyone is invited, regardless of how much they do or don't have to bring! (And even if youÂre unable to bring plants, you will be included to pick what you want to take home. ThereÂs always way plenty to go around!)

In the past weÂve had several people drive up from the Colorado Springs area, there have been people from Ft. Collins and other points north, someone from the Colorado/Kansas border came, and, of course, Bonnie has driven all the way in from Silt on the Western Slope a couple times! If youÂre not in the immediate Metro Denver area, thereÂs always a possibility of car pooling with someone near you, so let people know if youÂre looking for somebody to come with.

How many people want to do it again?

Skybird

Spring Swap, 2009, at Charlene's house! (click on picture to see the rest of them)

Comments (29)

• jclepine
    14 years ago

I totally want another swap!! Unfortunately, I really can't host it because we only have an incinerating toilet that maxes out at four people. :(

But, I've already started some things such as Campanula punctata 'cherry bells', Nepeta x faassenii 'six hills giant', one Papaver orientale in a deep, bright orange and Sempervivum.

I'm thinking of making cheese enchiladas, yum!

I hope someone is able to host this fall! :)

I'm happy to offer my time if I can help in anyway.

Jennifer

• catladysgarden
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    I am still perfectly willing to host the swap. Either the 5th or 6th of September would be ok with me. We have plenty of outdoor area. The only drawback is that we don't have a covered area if it rains and the house is off limits because of the cats. They tend to get pretty stressed out with strangers in their territory.

We are at the East end of the Denver metro area near I-70 and Chambers Road. It's easy to get to because we're only 2 blocks from I-70.

If someone has a better place to hold the swap, it's ok with me. If you all want me to do it, let's decide whether Saturday or Sunday would work out best.

Thanks,
    Karen

• amester
    14 years ago

Why can't I see the rest of the swap pics?? Is this yet another post-cancer brain liability?? ;)
    Karen, your place is lovely and I don't know that ANYONE would have room to move indoors in case of rain so if you're willing that would be great. Saturday is better for me than Sunday, but tally the votes and I'll make either work.
    I'd better start scouting for stuff to share - can't wait!
    And is anyone else scared to talk about how great the rain has been for fear of jinxing it? :)

• bloomingamaryllisrmg
    14 years ago

I'm planning on attending no matter where it is. If you have any Bear's Breeches i'd love some!

• conace55
    14 years ago

I'd vote for Saturday rather than Sunday also. If it looked like rain, I could bring along a 10 X 10 canopy that goes up and comes down very easily. It would at least keep some of the group dry.

I, too, need to keep an eye out for what I can plant. I'm looking forward to it.

Connie

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whoops! Sorry about that, Amy! Picasa has changed and I didn't notice it! (Not your brain liability--but maybe mine, from the concussion! :-) ) Here's another picture, and there should be a link under it to get you to the whole album.

From Swap - 05.09.09

What rain? I'm in Thornton, and it rains west of me, it rains east of me---and north and south of me---but it never rains ON me! It's been more than a month since I've had anything measurable! But I'm glad for the rest of you!

Glad to see some of you are checking in! It's been so slow around here lately, I was wondering if anybody would see the thread!

Amaryllis, I have 6 Acanthus seedlings I've dug up and put into pots. They're doing really well, and I'll save one for you.

I'll have a variety of sedums and hen & chicks again, but I'm not sure what else. I just noticed my blue Campanula persicifolia, peachleaf bellflower, is spreading out, so I'll probably have a few of those. Otherwise, I need to go for a walk and see what else I can find. In a couple weeks I'll start a thread for pictures again.

Karen, thanks for being willing to have it. I've always wanted to see your place anyway, so this will be a great way to do it! Don't worry about rain! That's part of gardening---but, Connie, if it's looking threatening and you want to bring the canopy, it sure sounds like a good idea to me! There usually isn't that much rain in September---but this year, who knows!

Anybody else interested?

Skybird

• jclepine
    14 years ago

I should add that I am good with either Sat or Sun and have no preference that way. Rain doesn't phase me! We went on an 8.8 mile hike in full on rain and although we were drenched, we loved it!!
    Thanks Karen!!!

• catladysgarden
    14 years ago

Skybird, There won't be much to see in my garden in September. Because it's a daylily display garden, I choose companion plants that bloom when the daylilies bloom. I even force my roses to bloom in July because that's when I have my garden visitors. Mark your calendar for July 17,2010 and try to get off that weekend. I would love to have you see the garden when it's really strutting it's stuff.

As far as the swap goes, I can do it Saturday or Sunday. Let's get more comments before I decide. In the meantime, will anyone who plans to attend please send me their email address so I can do a mailing right before the swap to give directions to the house. We'll plan to start around noon and have a potluck like we normally do. I'll look forward to it.
    Karen

• singcharlene
    14 years ago

The swap sounds great but it's Labor Day weekend and we may be gone that weekend :(

• nancy_in_co
    14 years ago

Hi,

If anybody is interesting in coming to Colorado Springs, I would be happy to host. Between 9 bouts of hail this year and soooo much rain, my garden is either tiny and rotting or HUGE and falling over in itself in glee. I do have a large covered porch and carport to use in case of rain. And a large tiled family room that can be used in case of snow. Ha. I would believe anything of this year. It was 45 degrees at my house this am.

Nancy

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

I plan to be there! So far, either day works for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• Azura
    14 years ago

I can go! I'm so excited! Normally we are out of town labor day weekend but somehow I got myself roped into being a bridesmaid in a wedding that Friday night. Assuming that I can remove myself from the purple monstrosity of a frock they call a bridesmaid's dress and I dont self-medicate myself into a red wine hangover, I'll be there! Either day works for me but I'll be more coherent on Sunday.
    Amester- I'm not scared to talk about the rain, its been awesome for the water bill!
    Karen- Thank you so much for offering to host. I'm sending you an email, let me know if you don't receive it.
    Charlene- I'm so sorry you wont be able to be there :( I will miss you.
    Skybird- Thank you for getting this post going, the advance notice is great. I fell in love with your bears breeches photo too, could you please earmark one for me? Thank you!

• catladysgarden
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    I've decided that Sunday Sept 6th will work out best for me. We can start around noon with a potluck lunch. Don't forget to send me your email address if you plan to attend. I'll send out a reminder and directions to the house like Skybird did.
    I got your email Azura. I'll check the plant and see if I have enough. It never gets a chance to increase a lot because someone always wants one.
    Karen

• cheshirekatttt
    14 years ago

I missed last year because of stuff going on, then the hubby passed away. I would like to participate this year. But I can only come if I can get a ride with someone as I don't drive and don't have a car. I live in Denver (between Stapleton and Lowry), not far off I-70.

I can bring plants, including one or two Yucca plants that are nearly 2ft high that need to be thinned and I don't want to throw them out.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Katttt! Welcome to RMG. IÂm sorry to hear about your husband, but IÂm glad youÂll be able to make it to the swap. YouÂre not that far from Karen, so IÂm virtually certain youÂll be able to get a ride from somebody. What are the closest major cross streets to you to give everyone a more specific location.

I was going to suggest you post on the WhoÂs Here thread, but I just looked and, lo and behold, you already have! IÂm sorry to hear youÂve had such an unhappy year. Maybe coming to the swap will help get your enthusiasm for gardening going again. And everybody around here is always glad to see pictures when youÂre posting and talking about something, so that might help get you back into the picture game.

Charlene, I hope your plans change and youÂre able to come after all. WeÂll miss you if you canÂt be there.

Nancy, any chance you can make it to this one? Some day we will have to have it down at your place. What a wonderful place to have it! IÂm sure everyone would enjoy exploring your yard!

Azura, IÂll save an Acanthus for you! I still havenÂt figured out why I canÂt find seed when I look for it, but I have seedlings coming up hither and yon all around my yard. The seeds seem to have wingsÂthey sure do come up far away from the main plant!

Within the next week I hope to start a Swap Picture Thread to post the things IÂm planning to bringÂand where everybody else can give us some idea of what theyÂll have too.

So everyone, hereÂs the final plan!

The Fall Swap will be on Sunday, September 6th, starting about noon, at Karen/catladysgarden at I70 and Chambers Road.

WeÂll start with the potluck again, and you can bring whatever you think everyone will like. Hot or cold, finger foods, sweets, main dishes....... One suggestion tho! We tend to wind up with a lot of dessert type things, so if youÂre deciding between a sweet and something else, the something else would probably be better.

Karen, will you be providing iced tea or something to drink, or should we all plan to provide beverages too? And are you planning to have the paper plates and cutlery, or should we? IÂll bring the name badges, the sign in sheet, and the numbers for our first two rounds of picking plants.

For the newbies, after the potluck we all go around and tell what we brought, then we pick numbers and go around twice to pick the first two things we really want, and then we open it up freestyle to pick whatever else we want. Bring your helmets and shin guards!

I just started a list, and so far I show 9 people comingÂand fingers crossed for Charlene!

Who else wants to add their name to the list?

EVERYONE! Be sure you send Karen your email address so she can send you the email with her address and directions just before the swap. DonÂt wait! By the time sheÂs ready to send out the info, there wonÂt be time to be looking for people!

Only four and a half weeks till the...

• catladysgarden
    14 years ago

I'll provide drinks, paper plates, cups,and plastic ware.

I have only 3 people on my email list so far. Be sure to send me your email address if you plan to come.
    Thanks,
    Karen

Original Author
    14 years ago

I spent a couple hours late this afterenoon potting up some of the stuff I'll be bringing to the swap, and I got my most recent pictures downloaded, so I've started the Swap Picture Thread.

If you know some or all of the things you'll be bringing, please post them on the picture thread---with or without pictures---so everyone can drool, and so people can get first dibs on things if they see something they really want.

Let me know if you want any of the things I've posted---and I'll be back later with more!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures to go with Fall Swap 2009 thread!

• ginnytrcka
    14 years ago

nancy_in_co, I'm in the Springs, too. Maybe one of these days we can get enough of us locally to host a swap. I'm just starting my garden here after spending 2 years designing/building our house. Looking forward to experimenting in the garden, but finding it hard to get the energy to do it this summer--it's my recovery season. I think the Fall Swap will inspire me and it's always motivating to have lots of little plants that need to be planted. My plants from 2 years ago are all ready to be divided, so I will have to see what I can dig up.

• kareng_grow
    14 years ago

Nancy_in_co and ginnytrcka I'm also in Co. Spgs (technically Black Forest) and would also be interested in a Fall Swap in Colorado Springs. I have a bunch of Shasta Daisies and a few Iris which need new homes and will also have hollyhock seeds later this Fall for anyone who wants to grow hollyhocks from seed (it's easy)...

• catladysgarden
    14 years ago

Skybird,
    Do you still have your email lists from the swaps for the past year? If you do, maybe you wouldn't mind sending an email to tell those people that we're having a Fall swap. Maybe some have not been checking the forum. That's how I missed the Spring swap this year. I would have attended.

If you plan to attend the Fall Swap at my place on Sunday Sept 6th, please send me your email. I will send my address and directions a week or so before the event. I am in Aurora, near I-70 and Chambers Road. There's easy highway access from all parts of the metro area.
    Thanks,
    Karen

Original Author
    14 years ago

I had been planning to do that, Karen, and just never have time to do it. I just sent a very short email with a link to this thread to over a dozen people who have been to past swaps who I havenÂt seen around here lately. I have a jumble of different lists by now, and trying to figure out whoÂs who from their email addresses gets kind of confusing, so IÂm sure I missed some of them, but I got some of them at least! Also, since I didnÂt do the Spring Swap, I donÂt have a list for that one, and didnÂt have some of those addresses if they hadnÂt been to a past swap, but I tried to find as many as I could. WeÂll just have to hope anybody whoÂs interested will be checking in to see if weÂre planning another swap!

This is the list of people I have down so far as planning to come. I have addresses for most of these people, so if you need an address, email me and IÂll send it to you if I have it.

catladysgarden
    skybird
    jclepine
    amester
    bloomingamaryllis
    conace55
    greenbean08
    azura
    cheshirekatttt
    ginnytrcka

Ginnytrcka, you may want to contact Nancy in co and Kareng grow to see if theyÂd be interested in car pooling.

I have some more pictures of things IÂm bringing to post on the Picture thread, but just donÂt have time to do it right now! Have to get up way, way too early tomorrow morning to leave again!

Who else wants to come this time?

Skybird

Well, while I was typing this I just got an email from mailer daemon saying BillieLadybug's address is no good. She must have changed it! Anybody else have an address for her?

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

Skybird,
    I sent BillieLadybug an email- so far it hasn't come back, so maybe it will get to her :-)

• ginnytrcka
    14 years ago

Kareng grow I'm in Black Forest, too. You'll have to tell what grows well for you. We're currently laying out flagstone paths and beds and stone steps lined with boulder walls that I will likely plant with the sedums I received at my first swap that just go crazy and are so easy between the rocks.

• catladysgarden
    14 years ago

Skybird,
    So far only 5 people have sent me their email. I certainly hope we'll have more than that in attendance.

Karen

• jclepine
    14 years ago

I hope so too!!! Unless we have an unexpected extension to our vacation, which would require a "hey, I got more days off work", I'll be there with bells on.

Original Author
    14 years ago

HereÂs the latest!

IÂve send Karen the email addresses I have, but I donÂt have GreenbeanÂs or CheshirekattttÂs, so will you guys please email them to Catladysgarden/Karen. If you go to her bio page, her address is shown. Be sure you include your RMG screen name when you email her so she knows who you are!

Polygonumtinctorium emailed me to say she plans to come, but wasnÂt able to log onto GW to say so in person!

I heard back from AliceG8 and Yago, and they arenÂt able to make it to this one!

Austinhanasmom isnÂt able to come, but plans to drop some things off at my house for me to bring along!

So far I have 11 people down as planning to come. Anybody else? Remember, you donÂt need to have any plants to bring! If youÂre new to gardening or just donÂt have anything right now, thatÂs ok! Come anyway and meet some of your fellow Rocky Mountain gardeners! (And even if you canÂt bring anything, you still get to pick what you want to take home with you!)

IÂve seen a whole bunch of new names around here lately! Any of you want to join us at the Swap?

Skybird

• polygonum_tinctorium
    14 years ago

I finally got the forum to admit that I existed, and thus am able to log on again.

I will be at the swap if at all possible. I'll probably have at least one child in tow.

• amester
    14 years ago

I'm going to have to change my RSVP to "tentative" - Sundays are tough for me because of church obligations. I might be able to make it late, I'll see what I can do.
    Labor Day weekend combined with a Sunday might make it tough for a lot of people to come.
    I'll post a definite answer as soon as I know what I can manage!

• everbloom
    14 years ago

Hi All, I just love plant swaps! I came to the one last year, or was it the year before, anyway I'm planning to be there. I sent Karen an email to let her know( what a fab garden she has!!)

I can bring a number of plants. I'm not too swift with the latin names but here's what I'll probably have:
    several voodoo lilies
    chinese lanterns
    campanula, cherry bells
    campanula, beautiful trust (white, like the pink octupus)
    japanese anemone
    lamium (pink flower with varigated leaves)
    northern sea oat grass
    others
    By the way, I'd be happy to host next year, I have a decent size back yard and room to move inside if it rains.

I'm going to get the word out about the swap to The Slow Food group I belong to and several other gardeners I know.

thanks,
    Donna