Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

All potatoes goners? Compost them?

lilacs_of_may
16 years ago

I'm just going to include the link so that you can read the thread and form an opinion.

One of my potato plants, the Carola, died. I planted them in May. Does this mean that they're all going to die, and I should just dig them up and compost them? The rest are still alive and growing, and it's only July. Seems a little early to just give up, I think.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg0717521922958.html?18713

Here is a link that might be useful: Tater link

Comments (5)

• lilacs_of_may
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sometimes I think I am such a stupid newbie. It's astonishing that weeds grow under my care.

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

I'd just leave them and see what happens. If the leaves all wilt and die, then check and see what you have, and get rid of the rest of the stuff.

I can't grow potatoes here anymore, although I did for years. There is too much potato-disease in the soil, and the last two years I tried it, I ended up with less potato, in lbs, than what I planted.

I never noticed much of a heat problem, but this is in a part of the country where I don't think the soil ever warms up - if you are growing them in bags, that might be the difference.

• nancy_in_co
    16 years ago

Hi Lilacs,

There is no way that I am anything close to a potato expert but I generally have half a dozen potato mounds every year. I am very scientific about which potatoes I grow. I go down to the local nursery and plant 2 mounds each of whatever varieties they have. Well, I don't do purple potatoes anymore because I could never find them in the soil.

Anyway, almost every year one of the varieties dies much earlier than the others. And this year is no different. I have two mounds already dying back but the others continue to grow and bloom. I never really concern myself about it. I just figure that I am extending the fresh potato eating season. I would guess I will be getting out the pitchfork and turning over the first pile in another two weeks or so.

Nancy

• lilacs_of_may
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was going to pull up the dead Carola, but I started pushing the soil away, and the stems below the soil line are still green.

So I left it. I don't quite know what to make of it now. I very much doubt if it'll sprout any more.

• kwik1
    14 years ago

I know this is an older post, but I am having a problem with my potatoes and hope to elicit some useful responses. To preface, this is my first year growing potatoes and I built a potato bin in which to grow Yellow Finns. Up until this past week, the plants had been growing extremely well - in fact, I am up to the last board on the bin (which is over 3 feet high). However, in the last couple of days, the stalks have completely wilted. I have some early blooms on the plants and dont know whether there is anything that can be done. Any ideas? Thanks