Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mountain Flower Identity

Posted by GarnerGarden 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 4:46

Hi, my uncle is an avid hiker who lives in the eastern Sierras. He is also a photographer and one of his recent hikes he came across these pink flowers. He couldn't identify them, so he I'm seeing if anyone here might know what they are?

Here is a close up pic he took of them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mountain Flower Identity

Here's a wider shot to show how they grow. He said he found these at around 9,500 elevations, if that helps. Thanks.

o

Hi GG,

Originally I was gonna tell you that the flowers look like an Armeria, but the foliage is all wrong! Then I googled "eastern sierra nevada mountain wildflowers" and found out what it REALLY is!

Check out the link below! (second pic down at the link) The person posting that pic doesn't give the genus/species, but from that I was able to figure out that it's some kind of a Cistanthe, based on the pics I found in searches, I suspect it could be C. umbellata, but don't know the species for sure! I found very few "usable" pics, and most of those were much lighter pink to white, but this is definitely the genus! Common name is Pussypaw!

And then! After wondering for four years now what a wildflower I saw on Mt. Evans was, I took a hint from myself and googled "mount evans wildflowers," and I FINALLY know what mine is too! Here are MY pics! Because of the flowers I always assumed this was some kind of a Saxifraga/saxifrage, but like in your pics, the foliage was wrong! Mine is Claytonia megarhiza, Alpine Spring Beauty! I love little alpine plants. Sure wish it was possible to grow them "down here!"

And THIS is where they're growing! I suspect we were at about 12,000-13,000 feet there!

And, if I may, I'm gonna piggyback on your thread to ask if anybody knows what this is! It's on the Ute Mountain Tribal Park on one of the ruins trails, and it was taken in May of this year. OK, so I just tried my new Wildflower ID System to try to figure it out! Googling "wildflowers" with "mesa verde" or "cortez" just got me mostly pretty mountain pictures, so I tried it with "southwest colorado" and that got me to something I'm pretty sure now that it is! (sorry for the illiterate sentence!) I believe it's a Townsendia, but can't for sure identify the species. (Possibly rothrockii or leptotis?) If anybody has seen this plant and has any other information, I'd love to hear it! Wish I had seen it with the flowers open, but I think I was a few days too early! Looked like it was gonna be really pretty!

Tell your uncle, High Five! I love to be looking for wildflowers when I'm hiking, and love it when other folks are interested in them too!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Cistanthe - Pussypaw

o

Thank you very much, Skybird! I have sent him a link to this post so he can see the info, I'm sure he appreciates it! He always has the most interesting adventures and wonderful photographs to share from them.

Mountain flowers are such rare beauties, for sure. Piggy back away! Hope someone is able to identify your mystery flower. Take care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here