Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenguppy

Where to buy Buffalo grass plugs, cultivar 609 ?

greenguppy
15 years ago

Hey... I am totally renovating my entire yard, and I would like to use "609" buffalo grass for my new lawn. BUT, I cannot find any supplier who ships 609 plugs. The Utah State University study indicates 609 has a longer green season than "Legacy", with slightly less quality and peak appearance, so 609 would be my preference (Legacy is easy to find).

Can anyone tell me where I ca n find a supplier for the 609 plugs??? ... Thanks... Don

Comments (7)

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

Do you have a link to that USU study by any chance?

I don't have a real answer for you, but I have some possibilities. I didn't really look at plugs or sod very much.

I'd check with Biograss Sod Farms. They're in Sandy. I think they do more with native mixes. Mountain Valley Seeds seems to sell only seeds (and I think 609 is a female only variety). Lately, they haven't been showing the grasses and you have to search the site for them, so that may not last.

Southwest Seed is a good place, too, but I think they may also be more seed oriented.

Another idea would be to contact one of the places that has Legacy and see if they can supply you with 609. It's possible that they have the 609 or can get it for you.

If you find a supplier, let us know.

Something else you might want to consider is using a cool season native. I looked into buffalo grass, but ultimately decided that its green season is too short for my tastes. I've been going with cool season natives like western and streambank wheatgrass and sheep fescue. The sheep fescue is the greenest of these, but it's a bunch grass. Western wheatgrass takes the biggest beating before going dormant, but it's hard to get started and is also somewhat coarse leaved. It's more of a blue in color. The streambank wheatgrass is easier to start than western, but goes dormant more readily. It's a lighter green than most lawn grasses.

You'll probably see crested wheatgrass touted as a cool season turfgrass alternative. I don't like it all that much. It's more of a yellow green than a green or blue green and it deals with dormancy by going in and out of dormancy quickly.

• greenguppy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks bp...

Yep... on all counts.

I've read the study and spoken with one of the USU turfgrass researchers. He recommends Legacy over the 609 because the 609 has more difficulty with winterkill.

Also agree with the short green season and I've struggled with my choice. Bottom line is I believe water is going to get "VERY" expensive in the next 10 years. I expect tiered pricing to be the norm and wouldn't be surprised if $150/month residential water becomes commonplace. Consequently I am absolutely restricting my lawn choice to the "most" water efficient cultivar possible... and that seams to pretty much be the Buffalo grass. I plan to leave it uncut and establish a full xeriscape front yard with all native, drought tolerant shrubs and plants. My goal is as close to "zero" watering and zero maintenance, as possible. I'll be retiring in 12 years and want the general yardwork to be low cost and low work... with only "fun" gardening to be pruned and trained.

I'm compromising my xeriscaping, in the backyard, by installing 5 dedicated low-pressure watering circuits to water a select choice of flowering trees, shrubs, and flowers... sort of a backyard oasis... on a budget. Using the shade from my new covered deck to reduce water losses for the surrounding plants. Only a few "full sun" plants in the back. The largest area will be Buffalo grass, stone, and ground covers... with a nice deck and pation surrounded by fragrant, colorful plants... for my pleasure and to support the local bird life.

I appreciate your input and totally agree. There will be more questions soon... since this is the first time I have done such in-depth landscaping. Its pretty cool... :-D

Time to get back to work... Guppy

• greenguppy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Almost forgot...
    The 609 and Legacy varieties are "all female" cultivars and have to be purchased as sod or plugs. Since the Biograss Sod Farms are nearby I'll be buying from them (if they sell plugs). Never could find anyone to sell 609 in Utah...
    Thanks again... G

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

The all female varieties are nice for a couple of reasons. They don't get the seed burrs and they also don't produce pollen (important if you have allergies).

I think water is going to be getting more expensive, too. It has been too cheap for too long here and people waste too much of it. I think once the buffalo grass does turn green, it will stay green with the least water. And with the warming trends we've been seeing, maybe it'll be green for a longer period of time.

Another thing that buffalo grass has going for it as a low maintenance grass is that it only gets about 4 inches high or so. From what I understand, some people leave it completely unmowed.

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

Another grass that you might want to consider is blue grama. You can either plant it along with the buffalo grass or instead of it. It's also a warm season grass, so it would be growing around the same time as buffalo grass. It's more of a bunch grass, though, so it won't fill in bare areas very well.

• plantladyco
    15 years ago

This probably isn't what you want, but High Country Gardens is having a sale right now on 3 types of Buffalo Grass plugs.

• robmoretti
    5 years ago

I have 609 Buffalo grass. I have 3 Perfectly round circles in the lawn where the grass has browned. I tried using a fungicide on it, and it really hasn't helped. Circles appear to be getting bigger.