Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot Weather Lettuce

Posted by dan_staley 5b/S 2b AHS 6-7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 8:22

I may be repeating myself, but I have to share this lettuce: 'Mottistone'. A couple plants are just now starting to bolt, while the ones shaded are still going strong,, even after a bout of caterpillars. We've had quite a few days over 90F + and amazing resistance to heat. It has also made the 7 y.o. ask for salads almost daily.

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot Weather Lettuce

Dan, I grew one this year that looks very similar, it's called Freckles. This one was planted at the community garden in full (all day) sun, and it still hasn't bolted. However, mine it almost completely green. I wonder if the amount of sun it gets altered the coloring a bit?

The Simpson Elite is starting to bolt, and the Cimmaron is looking like it is heading that way, but New Red Fire, and Nevada are still going strong.

None of the ones I'm growing are a solid red color though. Any thoughts on a good, heat resistant red lettuce?

It's going to be another scorcher today, so I'm thinking a salad for dinner sounds pretty good! I'm thinking there might even be a carrot or two that's ready for picking ...

Bonnie

o

Bonnie, my 'Freckles' bolted already, looks similar but smaller dots, maybe sun is bleaching somewhat. I had a red-ish butterhead called 'Skyphos' that bolted early (but still took some heat) . 'Mottistone' is all I have left of all the "heat-tolerant" types. But my garden is against a south brick wall, so hotter here and warmer nights on the SW side of a hill...

Dan

o

Have I posted this link to that CSU research on lettuce varieties and bolting lately?

I think Nevada is a great choice. I guess I really should explore these Summer Crisp/Batavian choices a little more.

It's good to be able to celebrate a variety that performs well!

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Lettuce varieties

o

This is my first year but I've been having good luck with 'Salad Bowl' - I just wish I liked the taste better!!! oh well. I also have some 'Summertime' in but it's been slower going. I'm hoping it's better tasting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here