Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is anyone having trouble with Ironite?

Posted by mla2ofus z4b Caribou Co. Id (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 9:04

I have really high alkaline soil and regularly use ironite. This year it didn't seem to help at all. I finally went to a good nursery/greenhouse for help and the manager told me that Ironite had changed the types of iron they used. That it still worked well for slightly alkaline soil but the soil around here is so alkaline that it locks the new stuff up. He recommended Chelated Iron with magnesium. I've used it before and liked it so hopefully my poor yellow plants will green up and thrive now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is anyone having trouble with Ironite?

I live on high alkaline soils as well. I tried using ironite the first few years I was here to fight chlorosis in some willow trees.

I was never very impressed with the cost-benefit ratio. Started looking into it a bit, and the professionals use a chelated iron spray - far more effective. They use this stuff on stadium fields as well to get that really deep green.

I dunno about the magnesium. It couldn't hurt.....

But I have started using Azomite, a combination of all kinds of trace minerals including Iron and Mg that, theoretically, should make a difference in leached out soils. [after dumping umpty acre feet of irrigation water on my property, I could reasonably conclude I might be a candidate].

I've added it to my vegetable beds and containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to azomite info

o

• Posted by richsd sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 21:42

I don't care for Ironite at all. Here's what to look for in a micronutrient supplement:

water soluble zinc (either zinc sulfate or chelated zinc- make sure it's water soluble though)

manganese should be sprayed on foliage, not applied to the soil because it gets bound by alkaline soils. This applies to chelated or manganese sulfates.

iron chelate EDDHA is the most useful iron for alkaline soils. BUT, it's expensive!! You don't need to use a lot, however.

Good luck!

o

Iron sulfate is good for bringing the pH down. I use it on my blueberry and magnolia plants that need acid soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here