Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treebarb

Last night's storm

treebarb Z5 Denver
14 years ago

We got a gully washer of a storm last night, lighting, hail and sheets of rain. It sounded like the hail would break the windows, but it didn't. Those of us north east of town were lucky from the sounds of it. I've been watching the news and 27,000 plus folks in Wheatridge are without power. The pictures and footage are scary. 50 foot trees uprooted, trees completely defoliated. 2 tornadoes were documented, 1 in Englewood and one in Castle Rock. My condolences to those of you with big clean up jobs today. I'll be out in the mud soon checking the garden.

Comments (17)

• colokid
    14 years ago

Got a good inch of nice rain here in Kersey (Greeley). Believe me, as a 80 year old native, it does not storm at night in Colorado...At least it didn't use to. I feel for those damaged.
    KennyP

• jeremywildcat
    14 years ago

Thankfully no hail, but lots of wind and rain here in Sloan's Lake. Snapped a couple of branches on my biggest tomato plant, which confirmed my thought that I need more support. Off to Home Depot today. Hope everyone else's garden made it through.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Duh Post had a story this morning in which one of their employees had her windows blown out by that storm. All we had was ~.5" rain here, but needed rain. That was a little front that came through, last two days the other weather boys have missed what Mother Nature had in store for her atmosphere...

Dan

• africabound
    14 years ago

devastated our garden

Here is a link that might be useful: facebook album of what was once our bountiful garden

• jeremywildcat
    14 years ago

Oh my! Never seen anything like that - so sorry for your loss. Where is that at? Maybe if you're around Denver I can give you some of my extras later in the season.

• mintlatte
    14 years ago

So sorry about your garden Mike.
    I almost cried when I saw my garden - we at least escaped total defoliation, I have small hope a couple of things will rebound.
    That storm you got hit with is ridiculous. Sad thing is people only a couple blocks away from us got that devastating hail. The trees in our neighborhood all look awful right now.

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

Wow Mike, that's terrible.
    We were lucky, the golf ball sized hail the weather guy was warning about didn't make it here. We had about .3" of fast rain and some very small hail.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• jnfr
    14 years ago

I lost nearly everything too. Tomato plants stripped, peppers half up-rooted. And here's my formerly huge, bountiful zucchini:

{{gwi:73299}}

I'm in mourning.

• jnfr
    14 years ago

Mike, you have my most sincere condolences. I am so sorry.

• africabound
    14 years ago

We are near the corner of Wadsworth and Jewell, that thing came out of no where, we had absolutely no warning

• singcharlene
    14 years ago

I am so sorry about your gardens!! That happened to me last year with that tornado that touched down near Parker. We actually saw the tornado from our house and took photos of it. I cut back a lot and fertilized with a liquid fish kelp fertilizer and some of it came back. Again, so sorry :(

I am in North Castle Rock and the storm was pretty intense here last night. The craziest lightening I've ever seen in my life. But no hail, thankfully. Friends down south in Larkspur, their gardens were shredded to nothing :(

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Sorry, folks. We had one like that here a few years back that did the same horrific number on the garden.

On another hail damage thread, I had tried to remember something that the nursery guys around here swore by for damaged trees - it's that "Superthrive" stuff.

It sounds like snake oil, it's sold like snake oil, it looks like snake oil, but several gardeners I really respect and who were almost apologetic in recommending it because it seems so hokey, say that for hail damaged trees and shrubs, it does work wonders.

At least it's something to do other than cry.

• jaliranchr
    14 years ago

David, HCG used to recommend it too. I tried it for a few years and it sure didn't hurt them at all. The last couple of years, I've just used kelp. I got hit in mid-June and used kelp. The recovery was terrific, but I also started using Planters II in my baskets this year, so I don't know if that was a factor.

I feel for all of you. It is just painful to see it all laid to waste. I'm holding off on the new roof until the fall, just in case. :)

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

In case there's info in this blog post that may be of use to some of you...

http://frontrangefoodgardener.blogspot.com/2009/07/coping-with-hail-damage.html

I do hope your plants recover and you still have something to harvest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Front Range Food Gardener (blog) hail damage

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

The BH knows that blogger well, BTW. Some of the advice there is good. I suggest other sources as well.

Both of our hearts go out to all of you up there. We got lucky down here and most plants have recovered from the early-season hail we had - we did not overfertilize or panic, we trusted our plants. Its late now, but trust is still in order, with some babying and work.

Dan

• jnfr
    14 years ago

My poor zucchini plant, stripped of nearly all leaves with just a long stem showing, opened a flower this morning. It's still trying!

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

jnfr,
    I'll bet that zuch will surprise you with a great recovery. Looks like it's off to a good start!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener