Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheat grass

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 9:25

I saw this article today about controlling cheat grass with a biological control - thought I'd post it for all of you who have spent time pulling cheat grass spears out of your socks, dog ears, etc. And if you've ever seen a field of this stuff burn, its like gasoline.

I have an infestation of the stuff in one of my borders and all along the driveway. I swear this stuff is impossible to kill. This spring, when the wee plants were just an inch high, I sprayed with roundup. Twice. They turned red, and shot up seed heads anyway.

Right now, with the rains we've had, next year's crop is up and running already.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to article

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheat grass

Interesting. It's kink of like when they tried to kill the Tamric tree in Southern Colo. with some kind of beetle because they use up so much water. I never heard how that all came out?

o

Actually, pretty well. I was driving the Dolores River through Gateway, then up the Colorado east of Grand Junction, and the beetles have done a serious number - about half way up the canyons.

There is some concern now about the loss of bird habitat, but in the over all scheme of things, which seems to be an absolute onslaught of invasive species all over the place, maybe the birds will figure something out.

It remains to be seen if the willow and cottonwood return.

Next up, Russian Olive. And that, by the way, both the bears and raccoons enjoy the berries, so I suspect they're edible.

o

We have both trees here in central Utah and they are taking over every bit of wetland we have. Foxtail grass and June grass (cheat grass) are a huge problem as well. I spray the grass and control them pretty well, But the others ????? wish there was and easy answer. Now I will go read the link. Thanks Gayla in Utah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here