Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmwbcc

Help choosing what evergreen tree to plant

dmwbcc
13 years ago

I frequently visit GW's Home Forums and have received SO much support over there, so when a tree question came up, I knew that I could venture of here and get the help I need!

We just bought a home in the Metro area and had to remove a 50 year old dying juniper. I didn't think those things could die!

We have very mature trees in the middle/right and right side of our property and now, the left side looks VERY bare.

We are considering an evergreen of some sort, but are open to suggestions. We would like to keep it closer to our house, but are aware of foundation issues if we put it too close.

Are there evergreens or other trees that have a "less invasive" root system, are fast growing and aren't messy? Yep- we're looking for the perfect tree!

What is the rule of thumb on how close to a foundation you can plant a tree. We're not thinking 7 ft away or anything, but we don't have alot of space on that side of the house. (See Pic, and yes, we intend to plant foliage, we just inherited a very dead lawn, flower bed, ect so we just mulched it and will tend to it ideally soon!)

That side of the house would be the east side and it gets full full full sun daily. I thought about Arbor Vitae, but read they are better in mostly shade?

Do you have any recommendations? Thanks in advance for your help!

Comment (1)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

dmwbee,
    I am not techie enough to embed links, so I copied and pasted the beginning of this GW thread from the conifers forum in January of this year. If you do a search for Recommend a conifer? on the search box above you should find the complete thread. There are some good recommendations there.
    I'm a relative newbie with trees but I will tell you I haven't done well with fall evergreen plantings. I really think they do better here planted in early spring, before the candles start growing. Take some time to find the right tree for a spring planting. Let us know what you pick and good luck!
    Barb

Recommend a conifer?

Posted by mooseling Zone 5 CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 31, 10 at 7:19

I have a spot where I'd like to put a conifer, but I'm not sure what kind to get. It will likely need to be a smaller variety, as the spot is fairly close to the house. I'd like something that doesn't grow out very wide, either. Or something that you could easily prune without it looking bad since it's going to be close to the driveway. I'd prefer something a little less common - I get sick of looking at the same old trees everywhere, but at the same time, it can't be so rare I won't be able to find it. And most importantly, it needs to be able to grow in zone 5. If anyone has any ideas of species/cultivars, please let me know. Hopefully I can find a nice conifer to put in this spring. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
    RE: Recommend a conifer?

* Posted by dcsteg 5b (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 31, 10 at 11:36

Keep in mind conifers grow till they die.

You can selectively prune a wayward branch out of the plant to control appearance but shearing or heavy pruning is something you want to avoid.

This will in time destroy the natural balance of the specimen.
    Conifers that have a pendulous, compressa or a fastigiate nature are the ones you should be looking for.

Go to the ACS web site. Click on Coniferbase and do a search.

I could name 15-20 off the top but you are going to have to look them up yourself to decide what is most desirable for you and appropriate for the planting site.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS
    o RE: Recommend a conifer?

* Posted by dcsteg 5b (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 31, 10 at 13:26

Another great resource for conifer photos is the UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: UBC