Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Normally I'd cut off those little suckers, but....

Posted by Bob_In_Colorado 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 9:43

I have a spring snow flowering crabapple that has not grown very much in 5 years. I have another that's going gangbusters. I pruned the non-growing one and POW!, it send off suckers instead of new growth. They're growing very rapidly. I'm considering leaving them alone. The suckers are already more than half as tall as the original trunk.

An earlier post of mine I talked about pear trees getting girdled by bunnies. One has made it, the other has not however it is sending up new trunks. The tree is not grafted. It's an Asian pear.

Is it worth waiting? I'm very patient

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Normally I'd cut off those little suckers, but....

Bob,
How old is the non-growing Spring Snow? Is it older and in decline or just not doing well? Are you letting the suckers grow to replace the non growing trees? If so, pick one or two, then cut the original tree down and let the suckers get going, then pick one of the suckers as the new tree and prune out the second sucker. Right now the suckers are just pulling resources from the original tree.

I lost a small Washington Hawthorne winter before last. I cut back the main trunk this spring and it's got probably 15 suckers. I need to get them culled, so thanks for the reminder!

Patience is a wonderful and necessary quality for a gardener in Colorado to have.

Barb

o

So my Peach and Apple tree have both been producing suckers. I've been leaving them, because both trees were having some issues. The original young peach trunk has been rather lopsided, so I thought maybe leaving the suckers might eventually balance it out - or replace the original trunk. My apple tree, if you remember my post awhile back, had what appeared to be some type of blight. I had cut off all the portions of stems that were infected, and it started putting out a bunch more leaves along all of it's branches ... and suckers. Perhaps I should cut back the suckers on it, now that the original trunk is actually looking nice (I wasn't sure it was going to make it, so that's why I left the suckers).

Marj

o

Make sure that the suckers are coming above the graft. A lot of times, they come from the rootstock, which isn't much help.

o

David,

Good point! I really don't know much about grafts and fruit trees. I just have 2 cherry and 3 apple trees so far. I bet the orchards forum could give Bob and Marge some great advice!

Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here