Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass hoppers

Posted by colokid 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 10:37

Did not think I had any until this week. Now they are thick. Want to warn you to kill them while they are little. Big ones are hard to kill. They prefer my pepper plants and horse radish.
KennyP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass hoppers

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 19:39

I have some grasshoppers here but they don't seem to do any damage that I notice. But then my cat eats them whenever he can catch them.

In fact I have ALOT of bugs of all sorts here. This is my 5th year gardening here and the only bug problems I've had were flea beetles the first year all over radishes and broccoli. Lat year I had a problem with slugs eating pretty much whatever new plants sprouted after July. That was probably due to the fact that I really expanded my garden and did alot of heavy mulching early in the season. This year hasn't been as bad for slugs.

I can't seem to bring myself to start using insecticides. What else can one do to limit grasshoppers?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here