Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comeback begins

Posted by jaliranchr z5 EC CO (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 11:05

Most of the plants that survived the hail with only a couple of leaves remaining now have several sets of leaves. But more astoundingly, a couple of decapitated plants have formed leaves. I am very pleased with this because I didn't think it would happen. No, I don't expect much but the fact that they did revive is most heartening.
The first image is Veni Vidi Vici

This is Perestroika

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comeback begins

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 14:49

Wow, Jali! Thats more than decapitated! Thats deplantitated! Isnt it absolutely incredible how resilient plants can be! I havent been hit by hail (yet) this year, but hopefully your pics will help show others than have been beat down what really is possible.

Keep us updated on the progress of your tomatoesand how about a pic of the ones that are coming back that werent quite so badly damaged?

Wow! I really am amazed! Itll be interesting to see how much they wind up producing. I hope, for you, we get a nice long season for them to recover!

Skybird

o

Adorable!! Those little leaves are so precious :)

I'm glad they are making a comeback, I wish our plants were not so vulnerable.

J

o

Hi Jali !!!

Steve

o

Yup. Hail generally isn't a killer. It can kill aesthetics, surely. But plants are adapted to hail.

Dan

o

Yes, Skybird, I am very happy. :) Just amazing.

Thanks, Jennifer. I think they are pretty cute too. Guess I'll have an unintended dwarf plant or two. :)

HI STEVE!!!

Hail kills, Dan. It just depends on where the plant gets hit, how big the hailstones are and how often you get hit. Pea size hail is more forgiving than ping-pong ball sized hail. These are exceptions to this particular storm. I lost over forty plants to that storm. No, they are not adapted to hail. This was a long shot and it turned out ok. Yes, a beaten plant can recover. I'm sure some of my mater buddies are as astounded at this as I am. Tomatoes are tough, but even tough plants don't stand a chance against the fury of Ma Nature. I thank my good fortune for this turn.

o

Jali, you were the bright spot in my tomato world yesterday.

There were 48mph winds (at least) thru my garden on the 12th. The entire day was pounding, pounding, pounding. Yesterday morning, the tomato patch had that gray-green look of damage . . .

I didn't even go over there.

The plants had been growing so well after all the cold (and wind) here. After another unseasonably cool day, the warmth has now returned. I hope they can tough their way out of it but if they get sick, it won't be a surprise. Will check on them in the morning.

Sometimes it is best to just keep the pace and move ahead, devil take the hindmost, and all that . . .

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here