Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanka_gw

Ground squirrels and rabbits - how to discourage them?

susanka
15 years ago

Omigosh. We just planted 15 new trees and probably 50 new plants. The rabbits and squirrels think it's a new salad bar in town. The trees are on berms and last night something burrowed into the berms just far enough to chow down on the roots. As I look outside now there are 2 squirrels holding pieces of red hot poker and I think liriope. What can I do to stop this or slow them down? I don't know what's burrowing into the tree roots.

Thanks for any ideas you have.

Comments (5)

• runktrun
    15 years ago

susanka,
    I used Bobbex for the first time this year and although it is very expensive and has a revolting odor for the first hour or two the stuff does indeed work. According to the company the Bobbex for rabbits is stronger than the Bobbex for deer as rabbit will eat many more things that deer won't touch. Good luck. kt

Here is a link that might be useful: Bobbex

• susanka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

runktrun, thank you. I went to their site, and their guarantee makes me think it might actually work. I'll call them in the morning; I know we don't have any local dealers. I hope our stuff lives until the Bobbex gets here.

Still don't know who the mystery root-eaters are, but maybe this will work for them as well.

Thanks again.

• digit
    15 years ago

I was out at 3:30 this morning turning on the sprinklers in anticipation of a windy day. Turned out even windier that I'd expected with speeds of 30+ mph and gusts above 40!!

While I was setting up the sprinklers, an owl was watching and screeching at me from the neighbor's garage roof. Still, when I arrived at the garden late in the afternoon - a small bunny raced out of the area where I've seen him twice before. Given enuf time, the owl will have him. I haven't seen another rabbit in the garden in weeks.

If you aren't blessed with owls, I'm not sure what to do with the rabbits short of shooting them or running them off with a dog. Ground squirrels are different.

Usually, their burrows are easily found and the squirrels don't venture far from home. Several times, I have dissuaded them by showing up at their burrows with a sledge hammer and a short piece of wood.

Rocks are always at hand in my area. I select about 3 "burrow-sized" boulders and drive them down the holes with the sledge hammer and chunk of wood. That has proven to be a solution.

digitS'

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

I've been out for the past hour shooting BBs at raccoons so mama & babies will learn this is not an easy food supply. Neighbors leave cat food out all night, luckily the coons make a ton of noise knocking around the metal bowl so I know to get the BB gun out.

• nicole__
    15 years ago

dafygardennut......you go! Save the garden!!

I screen things in with chicken wire & cover things with bird netting. Under ground attacks .......I've lost a lot of lily bulbs. Then I use the black hole gopher trap....for pocket gophers. By the time I know they're eating my bulbs...the bulbs are GONE! :0) Kind of a temporary thing, flowers......I keep buying more. Roses seem to be immune to underground feeders. Caging in plant roots is another solution.