Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Latest acquisition

highalttransplant
12 years ago

For those of you that know me, you know that I'm pretty dedicated to growing from seed, especially using the wintersowing technique, so it's rare for me to actually buy plants anymore. Although this year, I did give up on the wintersown tomato sprouts, and purchase a few tomato plants.

Anyway, when DH asked me what I wanted to celebrate my survived-on-this-earth-another-year day, I chose a trip to Lowe's. I picked up a couple of 6packs of annuals to fill in some gaps in my porch containers, and I'm browsing through all the extremely rootbound perennials, when I see a familiar looking bloom hiden amongst the phlox, shasta daisies, etc. It was a red Geum bloom. So I dug through there and found two pots of Mrs. Bradshaw. Yes!!! I've been trying to start a red Geum from seed for three years, and it never gets big enough by fall to withstand the winter. Well, these things were ginormous. If they don't make it, I give up.

Oh, and I also found a George Davidson (Davison) Crocosmia. Their tag says hardy to zone 6, but I did some research online, and it looks like it is actually hardy to zone 5.

Then I grabbed some potting soil, organic fish fertilizer, and a couple of canning supplies. My sister says I should have asked for clothes, but I am very content with my little shopping spree : )

Bonnie

Comments (10)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

I have one crocosmia that is just starting to bloom. Some areas of the yard they are OK and some not. And I get sporadic bloom. Not like WA state where you merely consider putting them in and two years later you have 100.

Dan

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had 'Lucifer' that I received from an RMG plant swap, but the grasshoppers chewed it down to nothing, and last year it barely came back at all. So I wintersowed some more this year, and ended up with about 1/2 dozen sprouts. The new crocosmia is planted right next to them.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I cut most of the blooms off to direct the energy into recovering from the transplant, but I left one stem on to enjoy. The actual color is more red than it appears in the photo.

These things are over a foot across, plus they had a huge root system. No excuse for this one not to come back next year.

If you look really close, you can see the tiny 'Lucifer' sprouts to the right of 'George Davidson'

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday Bonnie!
    Good luck with your new plants.
    I love the colors!

• jclepine
    12 years ago

I love it! That is what I did for my birthday, too. A new rose, this one is a climbing Canadian.

I don't need more clothes, plus, I'm guessing you're like me and everything winds up with dirt and mud on it anyway.

J.
    Happy Day to you!

• digit
    12 years ago

Bonnie!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the birthday wishes, everyone! You know, I've reached an age now where I'm torn between not wanting anyone to know when my birthday is, so that I don't have to admit to anyone how old I am, and being disappointed when people don't remember it, and make a fuss over me : )

I am grateful that I have a spouse that always remembers me on my special day though. Not only did he grill scallops, salmon and corn on the cob for me, and bought tiramisu for dessert, but he fed the kids ahead of time, so that we could have a nice, quiet meal. It was wonderful!

When my MIL asked what I'd like, I picked the book 'Small Batch Preserving' by Ellie Topp. Very excited about having some new canning recipes to try this year.

• luckybottom
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday, Bonnie.

Sounds like the perfect day for such a gracious and giving person such as yourself.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Bonnie, first of all I'd like to wish you a Happy Birthday also. Sounds like your husband is a thoughtful keeper!
    The picture of the Geum looks more like "Fireball" than Mrs. Bradshaw. I thought Mrs. Bradshaw was a red. I managed to wintersow Mrs. B seeds and the plant is doing well despite something eating it. I have sprayed Bayer 3 in 1 insect and mite spray. Do you know if Mrs. B. blooms her first year? I've been searching and am getting conflicting information. I wanted "Fireball" but didn't get the seeds last year. I'll follow your postings and next Spring will check back with you to see if the starter plants you bought at Lowe's survived. Here's wishing you Good Luck there!

• austinnhanasmom
    12 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I have Geum Mrs Bradshaw, and I must admit I bought a plant. But I can divide or take cuttings for you!!

Same with Crocus Lucifer. Isn't that a bulb? They have divided and look marvelous this year!

PM me, as I will forget to check back.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator