Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billie_ladybug

save a tree by grafting?

billie_ladybug
12 years ago

I have wanted to start a orchard for a long time and wanted to do it by grafting old apples and such from trees in the area, however, I never knew of any till now.

The "neighbor" has several apples that were planted by his folks around 1960. But through the years they have declined in production due to age and neglect. I was hoping someone out there might have some ideas has to how best to approach the project.

I thought about going and trimming all the dead wood and suckers out this summer still. Then, hopefully the trees put on some type of growth (if we ever get rain.) and trying to graft in the spring.

Would like to know what root stocks, graft types etc people have had the best luck with. Plan on grafting them onto standard size stock, no reason I need dwarf, I have 40 acres, think I might have room. Also, should the stocks be planted and established before I try to graft? Should I get them in the fall, or in the spring?

I'm going to research quite a bit over the winter. I am afraid I might only get one shot at trying to save a piece of history.

Billie

Comments (7)