Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rocky Ford cantaloups

Posted by colokid 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 13:06

Are those good rocky ford cantaloups hybrid or can i save seed from them?
Only place i can buy them here is from truck parked along the road. None in the stores. The stores only have those hard not ripe,things.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rocky Ford cantaloups

It depends on the variety. There are several varieties grown and sold as Rocky Ford cantaloupes. As an example Burrell Seeds in Rocky Ford who has been in business for 113 years sells several of each. Among the open pollinated varieties are: Burrell's Jumbo Hale's Best, Eden Gem, Four-Fifty, Powdery Mildew Resistant 45 and Topmark. Among the hybrids are Athena, Mt Pricneton, Primo, San Luis Western shipper and San Juan Western shipper.

You can save seeds of either. The seeds from the hybrid melon may not grow true. Jay

o

Thanks, KennyP

o

Kenny a Rocky Ford Cantaloupe is like a Vidalia onion or a Hatch chile. They are named for where they are grown and not the variety they are. I saved and grew seeds from a Hatch chile a few years ago. It was from a hybrid plant as there were several different fruit types and plant shapes. One in particular was good and I saved seeds from it and grew them up until this year. Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here