Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Check out my bloomers '10

highalttransplant
13 years ago

Things are really getting going now, so I thought I would share some pics of my bloomers : )

Hemerocallis 'Wynnson' (from Catlady's garden)

Close up

Gaillardia 'Goblin'

Lychnis chalcedonia

{{gwi:414753}}

Hemerocallis 'Black Eyed Stella' with Asclepias tuberosa

{{gwi:251040}}

Hemerocallis 'Little Women'

Hemerocallis 'Daphne Dale' (also from Catlady)

Lilium 'Commander in Chief'

Lilium 'Dwarf Orange Pixie' (came from last year's Spring Swap, but I can't remember from who)

... and this one is for Skybird. I took your advice and planted pumpkins and sunflowers all along the side of fence, on the empty lot next door.

Hope you enjoyed!

Bonnie

Comments (10)

• jnfr
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

• digit
    13 years ago

Those are great, Bonnie!

Wonderful additions to your home and wonderful photo's here!

Steve

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Seeing those makes me want day lilies, too! ;^)

Marj

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, guys!

Marj, every spring when there are clumps of grassy leaves everywhere, I ask myself why I allow them so much space in the garden ... and then they bloom, and I remember.

Bonnie

• gjcore
    13 years ago

Nice Bloomers :-)

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

beautiful!

• gjmancini
    13 years ago

Bonnie,

Those are awesome, cant wait to see cat lady for fall swap....Great idea with the side lot.
    gloria

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Great pics, Bonnie! And IÂm delighted to see you finally decided to take advantage of all that "space" right next to you! And you planted all the way down the fence! Wow! You should have a bumper crop out there! (Maybe I can score a pumpkin when I come by there in September!)

In the pics it looks like youÂre not having as much of a problem this year with grasshoppers. Is that right? IÂve found a few baby ones in my yard this yearÂwhich is pretty unusualÂand they get sprayed or squished as soon as I see them!

I love youÂre ÂLittle Women daylily! Wish I had room for more of them! My ÂWynnson is blooming now too. I got that one at the Fall Swap 2007, the first one I had at my house, and it was one of the leftovers that I decided to keep, but it was in the pot for all of Â08 and most of last year! I finally got it in the ground last fall, and IÂm sure itÂll be way happier now!

I was looking at your Sedum kamtschaticum ÂVariegatum behind the ÂGoblinÂ, and wondering, do you cut it down when itÂs done blooming? If you havenÂt in the past, you might want to try it. If you cut it all the way down, itÂll come back as a nice, little mound of pretty variegated foliage for the rest of the summer. I just cut mine down, and here are before and after pictures so you can see what I mean by "all the way!"

ItÂs always fun to see your pictures! WeÂll be looking for more!

Skybird

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Sky! Great to hear from you!!!

I'll be sure to put your name on a pumpkin : )

I did cut back the sedum kamtschaticum 'Variegatum' after that picture was taken. Not near as far back as you did, but enough to make it look neat and tidy.

A couple more daylilies started blooming today, but the sun is too bright to get a decent picture. I'll try to get a pic in the morning and post them.

Yes, I have lots of grasshoppers, but I didn't take any pictures of plants they have nibbled on. The kids have been catching the small ones, and feeding them to our Fire Bellied Toads, but they can only eat a couple a day, so it's not putting much of a dent in the population. Clearing the area next to the fence may have helped a little bit, but it's too early to know for sure. I put the Semaspore bait out again this year, but when the weeds in the empty lots surrounding our property dry out, they'll come to my little oasis in the desert : (

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I posted some pictures of a lot of wintersown annuals and veggies, and I think most of them are different from the ones I posted here.

Just click on the link if you're interested in checking them out.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics of my bloomers on the Wintersowing Forum