Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treebarb

Soil heaving

treebarb Z5 Denver
14 years ago

Good morning all! I was out this morning weeding and mulching. I love the cool mornings to work in the garden. I decided to check out the windbreak on the north side of the house. I've kind of neglected the area with all the rain we had this spring. I noticed one of my Shademaster Honeylocust has some yellowing leaves so I put the hose on it. I started pulling some grass out from around the base and noticed the water seemed to be just disappearing and not soaking in. I pulled back the bark mulch and found a crater I could stick my hand and arm in up to my elbow. No wonder the tree is yellowing. It's saying "Where's the dirt?!!" I poured in half a bag of humus into the hole and soaked it down. So I've spent a couple of hours this morning pulling back mulch and finding more cracks, although nothing like the first one. I guess all that lovely rain, and now the heat are to blame. Are any of you seeing this? Any advice as to what to use to fill the cracks? I have humus on hand, so will use that up.

Comments (3)