Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlisa77

Is honeysuckle well-behaved in Colorado?

carlisa (CO-5a)
14 years ago

Does anyone have experience growing either the Gold Flame honeysuckle (Lonicera heckrotti)or Hall's honeysuckle (Lonicera Japonica) in Colorado? I know that honeysuckles are considered invasive along the East Coast but would be interested in hearing about experiences with this species from Colorado gardeners. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• jorn
    14 years ago

Carlisa,
    I don't know which variety of Honeysuckle I have, but here in Fort Collins anyway, whatever it is, well, to say the least it is resistant...

I had two ? unidentified bushes that just grew out of control when we bought our home - they were about 10 years old per report from the seller, although he couldn't remember the type-only that his wife had begged him to put them in. My brother came in a few years later, chopped them down to get them out to make room for my spreading raspberries (I had priorities! :) )
    Well, he THOUGHT he got the root balls all the way out...

The next year, I chopped down a lilac in another corner-it was very scraggly,really beyond help and hope, and wanted to put in a honeysuckle, I'd always heard good things about them, knew it would do good here, etc so I did. It grew almost 3.5 feet that year, and has continued its growth,although not quite as vigorously.

Last year, I watched with interest as these branches came up from the back bottom of the fence behind my raspberries... I inspected the flowers on them, then started to laugh...they were the same ones as on my "new" honeysuckle in the opposite corner from them. I'd unknowingly let my brother chop down plants that I'd always wanted, just didn't recognize them as they were large, scraggly, few berries and flowers, really rather ugly at the time, and had gotten broken from a few blizzards around here.

So now, I'm just letting them kind of come in and compete a little with the raspberries, to help fill in the visual holes along the fence, trimming back a little as necessary when they get too greedy with their space needs. The "new" one is happy where he is, and I work to keep him tidy so he won't become like the other 2 had, to the point of non-recognition from anyone !

They've all really needed no special care of any sort, just staked it a little bit when the new one was young for the first year. I give it a haircut now and then to reduce old growth and keep him "per-ty". So he is well-behaved as well.

Good luck!

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

In my limited experience, they can get invasive. I trimmed mine this spring and now you cannot tell I did anything.

They need room to spread.

I also chopped one at ground level and am hoping it doesn't come back with a vengeance.

Good Luck -

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I have 2 zabel HS bushes and a halls HS vine. Both are well behaved. If you don't water a lot, they don't grow a lot! :0)